The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it becomes 'God save the King' all the other words are the same except for the obvious

her becomes him
she becomes he
and so on
Reply 2
If it was Land Of Hope And Glory, they needn't bother :wink:
Reply 3
On a more interesting note...what do you think the English National anthem should be? Personally I'd go for I vow to thee my country...
Reply 4
Yup, 'god save the king' is how it started, switching to Queen as appropriate.

Sometimes I wish we had a slightly more interesting National Anthem. If not for Britain then at least for England when it competes alone. Jerusalem or somesuch.
Reply 5
Well...I'd say Land of Hope And Glory. Seems to resonate rather well...
Reply 6
I would complain about that one either...I just dont think English and British shouldn't double up - could be one of the causes of the taudry level of patriotism in this country (as well as it being frowned upon, ofcourse)
Reply 7
Can we abstain from mentioning the individual anthems here please.
Reply 8
Is that only because you cant pronounce the welsh one?
Reply 9
Belligerent.
Reply 10
I can pronounce it, just do not remember it, or understand it. But that isn't the reason.
Reply 11
bikerx23
On a more interesting note...what do you think the English National anthem should be? Personally I'd go for I vow to thee my country...

Jerusalem.
Reply 12
then why? Seems a random request in this sort of thread... (to law:tongue:ortal)
:smile:
Reply 13
Flux
Yes, it becomes 'God save the King' all the other words are the same except for the obvious

her becomes him
she becomes he
and so on

The prolixity of it all hurts my head. :frown:
Reply 14
Because it would be unfair on any of the other three countries if the other ones anthem was chosen to replace the national anthem.
Reply 15
bikerx23
I would complain about that one either...I just dont think English and British shouldn't double up - could be one of the causes of the taudry level of patriotism in this country (as well as it being frowned upon, ofcourse)
I doubt national anthems effect patriotism hugely. Most Western European countries aren't overly patriotic. I always assumed it was because we are rather 'old' societies, and feel rather stable and secure.
Personally, I consider the music to be the most inspiring part. "Land of Hope and Glory" is just as moving when played as a march sans choir, the way it was meant to be. On the other hand, the quiet nobility of the National Anthem (which I much prefer to the brash triumphalism of, say, La Marseillaise) seems to go beyond mere notes.
I always preferred Bill Bailey's suggestion for the national anthem, of Zippity Do Da as done by Portishead, to capture a sufficiently jaunty yet melancholy feel.
where can i find a full copy of the British National Anthem,

thanks in advance:biggrin:
Reply 19
Agent Smith
Personally, I consider the music to be the most inspiring part. "Land of Hope and Glory" is just as moving when played as a march sans choir, the way it was meant to be. On the other hand, the quiet nobility of the National Anthem (which I much prefer to the brash triumphalism of, say, La Marseillaise) seems to go beyond mere notes.

I think my favorite national anthem is the old Soviet Union's "Гимн Советского Союза" (Gimn Sovetskogo Soyuza) I understand Russia has recently re-adopted it after an unpopular experiment with an alternative.

I don't understand a bloody word of it but it's one heck of a bracing anthem!

Latest

Trending

Trending