The Student Room Group

UCL vs KCL: to study abroad or not to study abroad...

I'm sorry as I know there have been quite a few KCL vs UCL threads in the past, but not for my particular issue. I'm currently agonising over whether study abroad is worth it or not. I have an unconditional offer from UCL for philosophy and will (hopefully!) have one from KCL soon too. I'm torn between them because although UCL is a little more prestigious, it doesn't offer study abroad to philosophy students, whereas KCL does. However, I like the UCL campus better and I can't imagine passing up on an offer to study there.

On the other hand, study abroad really appeals to me as I would love to study in America for a while, and KCL offers this. So I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this dilemma.

If I went for UCL, I could theoretically go to an American uni for one of those summer school sessions (and this would be ideal for me as I'd rather go abroad for 2 months or so than 6 months, which is what KCL would be offering), but this would be expensive and would add to the enormous debt I'd already be accumulating. If I did study abroad at KCL, it would be worked into the year, and I'd only be paying for flights.

So basically: is study abroad worth the reputation difference? I'd love some advice if anyone has any. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm torn between the two as well but at the moment I most likely will firm KCL purely because the student union is better and I feel KCL is more welcoming. UCL is slightly more prestigious but i'm convincing myself that prestige isn't everything and to me employment prospects and evidence of it is more important.

http://www.theanglenews.co.uk/news/article-c452f03fe95/kcl-best-uni-for-graduate-jobs-despite-being-30th-in-league-tables-.html

and on other tables london universities are grouped as a whole. Go to the university you will feel more comfortable at and the place where you feel you will get the best degree as uni is what you make of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending