The Student Room Group

Is Sci-fi an oxymoron?

Poll

Is science fiction an oxymoron?

Many consider science to be fact, so i just wondered does that make science fiction an oxymoron. My self i think it is not because science can be wrong and many theories that seem legitimate are no more possible than what happens in sci-fi comics, but it is still considered science. This also led me on to think about when does science become science fiction and vise versa? Just wondered what every one else thinks. :smile:
Reply 1
I'd say it is somewhat of an oxymoron. The scientific method involves creating a hypothesis or prediction and then doing experiments to prove/disprove that hypothesis. If your hypothesis doesn't match with the data, then it's thrown out of the window.
Science fiction novels/films just predict or depict lots of science-y related things that might happen in the future (or whatever) and it doesn't matter if you don't prove it.
Fiction itself are ideas that are imaginary and purely theoretical, and don't have to be related to anything concrete or real, so it goes against the elements of science.
I don't think so. It's simply just a type of fiction, fiction based on science. Not something like "deafening silence".

Not sure if I'm really getting across my point well, not too sure how to word it.
Original post by Amber May
Many consider science to be fact, so i just wondered does that make science fiction an oxymoron. My self i think it is not because science can be wrong and many theories that seem legitimate are no more possible than what happens in sci-fi comics, but it is still considered science. This also led me on to think about when does science become science fiction and vise versa? Just wondered what every one else thinks. :smile:

Didn't Tom Baker's Dr Who defeat the Oxymorons?
Reply 4
Original post by Amber May

I used to assume that Sci-fi stood for scientific fiction rather than science fiction.

The literal meaning doesn't match the colloquial one. But I think science is just used because it has connotations of advanced technology, life and other themes. It is a useful and convenient label for a particular subset of fiction.
The word 'science' in 'science fiction' isn't really being used to describe such things such as the scientific method, or even scientific accuracy (some science fiction really ignores actual science). It refers more to the fictional side of things: worlds where (realistically or not) science has progressed to such a point where certain things have been made possible and new problems and philosophical issues have arisen.
Reply 6
'Science' and 'fiction' are not necessarily contradictory terms - science is not necessarily true, it is only our best guess based on the available evidence.
Reply 7
Isn't it pretty obvious? In a Sci-Fi world, the science is fictitious, i.e. not the same as real life, it's made up. Physics are slightly different, biology is different, technology is different (we're capable of things probably not actually possible) and things work in ways that could not necessarily (that we know of) work in real life. In some ways you could consider Fantasy, Horror, etc as Sci-Fi, though obviously it's generally associated with things set in the future.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Sci fi is based around fictional realities (often in the future) where science has evolved or progressed to an unrecognisable level. They are explainable under science, but not factual as of yet.
It's definitely not an oxymoron. There's no clashing of the terms.

It could be called paradoxical perhaps, but never oxymoronical. It's the same with Harry potter magic - it's just used as part of the vehicle.
'sci-fi' is a genre. It has no literal meaning. It's a label representative of the known conventions of a particular narrative niche.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending