The Student Room Group

Dissertation help

I start my dissertation in September when I go back to uni, however want to make a head start on it as I’m a procrastinator and this isn’t the sort of think that can be written in a night.

I study makeup and hair for theatre and media, and have no idea on what to write it on! Makeup is so much harder to research on and find help them other subjects.

Any ideas would help! Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 1
You could run a search on Google Scholar to see what comes up.

Off the top of my head:
- cinema genres that rely heavily on makep eg horror, sci fi
- how makeup used in realistic/naturalistic genres
- case studies of landmark films in the craft of makeup
Reply 2
Perfect thank you so much! Will look into those
Reply 3
Just to give you some advice as a serial procrastinator myself: I started and finished my dissertation (Including surveys, reasearch and analysis) a week before the deadline. Alhamdulillah I got a 2:1 for it.

But I absolutely would not recommend it to anyone. Take this as a warning to NOT fall into the traps that you probabaly have been falling in already.

If you find yourself in this situation: do not panic. Make peace that you've screwed yourself over, and that no matter WHAT happens, you cannot stop writing.

First things first: fill out that reference list. Because you WILL end up forgetting about it and you do NOT want to make a mistake on that. Design the layout for your disso, contents, header, footer, title, acknowledgents, bibliography etc, and then just don't stop writing. Believe me, I had started my disso in the july before it was due, and simply did not complete it until mere minutes before submission.

If you want my advice, complete your literature review now, because honestly, that will eat up a chunk of the word limit, and will form the basis for your whole disso. Even if you come back after some time, you can read through it to fresh up. If I hadn't already had a completed literature review, i really doubt I could have done what I did.

Don't be me! and Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by tuquid
Just to give you some advice as a serial procrastinator myself: I started and finished my dissertation (Including surveys, reasearch and analysis) a week before the deadline. Alhamdulillah I got a 2:1 for it.

But I absolutely would not recommend it to anyone. Take this as a warning to NOT fall into the traps that you probabaly have been falling in already.

If you find yourself in this situation: do not panic. Make peace that you've screwed yourself over, and that no matter WHAT happens, you cannot stop writing.

First things first: fill out that reference list. Because you WILL end up forgetting about it and you do NOT want to make a mistake on that. Design the layout for your disso, contents, header, footer, title, acknowledgents, bibliography etc, and then just don't stop writing. Believe me, I had started my disso in the july before it was due, and simply did not complete it until mere minutes before submission.

If you want my advice, complete your literature review now, because honestly, that will eat up a chunk of the word limit, and will form the basis for your whole disso. Even if you come back after some time, you can read through it to fresh up. If I hadn't already had a completed literature review, i really doubt I could have done what I did.

Don't be me! and Good Luck!

Perfect thank you so much!! Well done for getting it done tho u super start, but yeah I’m normally a last minute girlie but trying not to be for my final year.

thank you for ur advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending