The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni - moving to London to start new course - financial help..

Hi guys, basically after 2 years of an undergraduate course which i did not enjoy i have decided to drop out (its a 4 year course) take the certificate of higher education which i got after 1st year and move to London, attend London centre of contemporary music to study music production which is my passion and what i should have done from the beginning.

(I did one year of medical engineering, failed... now coming towards the end of my second year of chemistry)

Few things have been going through my mind -

Is this a bad idea?
I want to be able to some how support myself financially without the help of my parents, would student loan cover me? especially in an expensive city such as london.... Would they even cover the extra 3 years on top of the 3 years just gone?

The whole moving away thing would be completely new to me, just the financial side of things is worrying me a bit. Planning on getting a part-time job as well.

From what i have seen the place with most opportunity for a producer is London, so I really want to start things off there.

What do you guys think?

thanks in advance.
Original post by randomguy11
Hi guys, basically after 2 years of an undergraduate course which i did not enjoy i have decided to drop out (its a 4 year course) take the certificate of higher education which i got after 1st year and move to London, attend London centre of contemporary music to study music production which is my passion and what i should have done from the beginning.

(I did one year of medical engineering, failed... now coming towards the end of my second year of chemistry)

Few things have been going through my mind -

Is this a bad idea?
I want to be able to some how support myself financially without the help of my parents, would student loan cover me? especially in an expensive city such as london.... Would they even cover the extra 3 years on top of the 3 years just gone?

The whole moving away thing would be completely new to me, just the financial side of things is worrying me a bit. Planning on getting a part-time job as well.

From what i have seen the place with most opportunity for a producer is London, so I really want to start things off there.

What do you guys think?

thanks in advance.

You will get full funding for your third year of the music production course.

For years 1 and 2 you will only get a maintenance loan - no tuition fee loan. You'll have to pay tuition fee's yourself. You also won't get any grants for years 1 and 2.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
You will get full funding for your third year of the music production course.

For years 1 and 2 you will only get a maintenance loan - no tuition fee loan. You'll have to pay tuition fee's yourself. You also won't get any grants for years 1 and 2.

Thanks for your reply mate, appreciated..

Anyone got anything they want to advise me on? London is an expensive place to be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending