The Student Room Group

South Dakota allows teachers to be armed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by billydisco
No I think it's you and most Americans who really don't get it- if every single Tom, Dick and Harry in the US has a gun guess what? You're going to have easy access to guns, lots of shooting and lots of people dead!

What do we have in the UK? Hardly any guns! What else do we have? Hardly any shootings! Why? Because nobody would know where to get a gun if they did want to shoot someone!

Gun control works in the UK because we don't really have a lot of guns. It has nothing to do with the legislation. Even before the various laws came into effect, shooting sprees were very rare. You can't compare it to the US, a place where guns are very common and cherished in the national culture.

Do you get it now??? So arming your teachers is doing the complete opposite to fix the problem. What's going to happen next? The son of a teacher will walk into a school, kill a few people and we will find out he got the M16 assault rifle from his mum who is a South Dakota history teacher!

....Or much more lives gets saved because he is stopped in his tracks by an armed teacher.

At the end of the day, I don't think anti-gun advocates have the right to jeopardize the lives of school children (or anyone) with their anti-gun policies. Instead of talking about how they want guns banned, their attention should turn to discussing ways to try and prevent something like this happening again. I hope you can understand why I feel this way.
Original post by Bart1331
....Or much more lives gets saved because he is stopped in his tracks by an armed teacher.

Listen to yourself.....

by an armed teacher.

does not that sound completely stupid or what? So are these teachers going to be marksmen-trained? What if they end up accidently shooting kids? What if one of the US nutters becomes a teacher because guess what.... they can sit in a room with 30 kids... with a gun!

At the end of the day, I don't think anti-gun advocates have the right to jeopardize the lives of school children (or anyone) with their anti-gun policies. Instead of talking about how they want guns banned, their attention should turn to discussing ways to try and prevent something like this happening again. I hope you can understand why I feel this way.

You still don't get it do you? You think having more guns solves the situation.......

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

It's the guns which cause your situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll repeat this one more time for those not following:

NO GUNS- NO MASS TRAGEDIES!!!!

understood yet? Once more:

If you have more guns- you are increasing the probabilities of a nutter obtaining a gun........... yes?

Based on your argument- surely every single person should carry a gun on them at all times just in case they walk into a mass shooting? Yes?
Reply 82

does not that sound completely stupid or what? So are these teachers going to be marksmen-trained? What if they end up accidently shooting kids? What if one of the US nutters becomes a teacher because guess what.... they can sit in a room with 30 kids... with a gun!

You're full of what ifs, I find it rather pointless to argue those, because we can both sit here all day coming up with "what if" scenarios that support our case.

I'll repeat this one more time for those not following:

NO GUNS- NO MASS TRAGEDIES!!!!

understood yet?

Yes sir, agreed. If there are no guns, there are no shooting sprees. I fully agree with you on that one.

Based on your argument- surely every single person should carry a gun on them at all times just in case they walk into a mass shooting? Yes?

Just in case they have to protect themselves from anything, whether that's a mugging or a mass shooting. I know people in the states who live in very nice areas where everyone carries. You can sit there with your "what ifs" but these are people who have experienced and seen the effects of an armed society. Yes you get the odd nutter, but for the most part it results in a safer and more happier society. Over here there is an obvious "wannabe hard man" culture where you get insecure people trying to prove themselves by battering anyone that looks at them the wrong way - That's less of an issue over there, because they know what the consequences of that could be.

I know that at first glance you could easily assume that more guns in society would be bad because you think what if this happens, what if that happens, but when you look at what actually DOES happen, the results are generally fairly positive and beneficial to society.
Gun control works in the UK because we don't really have a lot of guns. It has nothing to do with the legislation. Even before the various laws came into effect, shooting sprees were very rare. You can't compare it to the US, a place where guns are very common and cherished in the national culture

The right to bear arms that you spoke of earlier, is one reason why guns are 'cherished' (interesting choice of word by the way) in the national culture. It provides the validity to that culture. Had the idea been abandoned several generations ago, I firmly believe that there would be far fewer guns in circulation, a completely different mindset and culture, and your argument would look entirely different. In fact, there may not be an argument to have.

This 'right' and the stubborness of the people who champion it, have facilitated and continue to facilitate the easy access to guns for literally anyone who wants one. Two by-products of which are a five-digit homicide rate and the loss of the ultimate right, 'life'. We need an end to this archaic reasoning and paranoia.

What is needed is some kind of legislation that severely restricts access, making it more difficult (not impossible) for the average nutcase to source a gun. Obviously this doesn't erradicate the problem completely, but it mitigates it. Over a sustained period, I believe that approach will eventually yield results. It has to start somewhere.
Reply 84
Original post by Heliosphan
The right to bear arms that you spoke of earlier, is one reason why guns are 'cherished' (interesting choice of word by the way) in the national culture. It provides the validity to that culture. Had the idea been abandoned several generations ago, I firmly believe that there would be far fewer guns in circulation, a completely different mindset and culture, and your argument would look entirely different. In fact, there may not be an argument to have.

Gun confiscation would start off the second Civil War. You've got many American civilians, some ex-military, some ex-police, and others just regular civilians, who have stated they will die before giving up their guns. More and more law enforcement officers are saying that they would refuse orders to disarm their fellow citizens, and thats people who are high up in the force - Not just newbie recruits.

Those people aren't troublemakers, they are law abiding people with a house a job and maybe some family, who feel that gun confiscation is a "red line". They are peaceful - They would never start any confrontation, but they would defend themselves against any gun-grab.

If that happened (people acting in self-defence when the authorities tried to take their guns) would Obama then give the most heinous order of all - The order for the military to turn on their own people, and start attacking the civilians who were resisting the gun grab? Maybe. But some members of the US military are saying that they would refuse to fire on their own citizens. It would probably start another Civil War, which would cost a great deal of lives - All because of gun control.

This 'right' and the stubborness of the people who champion it, have facilitated and continue to facilitate the easy access to guns for literally anyone who wants one. Two by-products of which are a five-digit homicide rate and the loss of the ultimate right, 'life'. We need an end to this archaic reasoning and paranoia.

I believe I can answer this. Some anti-gun people have said to me that if everyone else was armed, they would want to carry a gun too for self-defence. That's why people in America want to carry for self-defence - Because gun control will have little effect on people who already carry guns illegally i.e criminals.

What is needed is some kind of legislation that severely restricts access, making it more difficult (not impossible) for the average nutcase to source a gun. Obviously this doesn't erradicate the problem completely, but it mitigates it. Over a sustained period, I believe that approach will eventually yield results. It has to start somewhere.

I do not believe you have the right to condemn people to death in order to "mitigate" gun crime. The current system at least gives everyone a chance of survival, gun control would reduce their chances. I feel this is the fairest system.
(edited 11 years ago)
Gun confiscation would start off the second Civil War. You've got many American civilians, some ex-military, some ex-police, and others just regular civilians, who have stated they will die before giving up their guns. More and more law enforcement officers are saying that they would refuse orders to disarm their fellow citizens, and thats people who are high up in the force - Not just newbie recruits.

Those people aren't troublemakers, they are law abiding people with a house a job and maybe some family, who feel that gun confiscation is a "red line". They are peaceful - They would never start any confrontation, but they would defend themselves against any gun-grab.

If that happened (people acting in self-defence when the authorities tried to take their guns) would Obama then give the most heinous order of all - The order for the military to turn on their own people, and start attacking the civilians who were resisting the gun grab? Maybe. But some members of the US military are saying that they would refuse to fire on their own citizens. It would probably start another Civil War, which would cost a great deal of lives - All because of gun control.

I believe I can answer this. Some anti-gun people have said to me that if everyone else was armed, they would want to carry a gun too for self-defence. That's why people in America want to carry for self-defence - Because gun control will have little effect on people who already carry guns illegally i.e criminals.

I do not believe you have the right to condemn people to death in order to "mitigate" gun crime. The current system at least gives everyone a chance of survival, gun control would reduce their chances. I feel this is the fairest system.

And with this barrage of hyperbole, you've proven my point about acute paranoia, stubborness and all the rest.

I think you've summed up the mindset perfectly and as a result I think the debate ends here for me.

Thanks and well done :smile:
Reply 86
And with this barrage of hyperbole, you've proven my point about acute paranoia, stubborness and all the rest.

I think you've summed up the mindset perfectly and as a result I think the debate ends here for me.

Thanks and well done :smile:

Can you tell me what you think is wrong with that mindset?

Fear of government abusing its power is not paranoia, it's a legitimate concern backed up by a lot of evidence. The American nation was born when a government tried to disarm them. And all throughout history, even modern history and even in "civilized" societies, there are examples of governments disarming their people and then slaughtering them.worried that everyone with a gun would be out to shoot you.

Quite a while ago I said to my friend (as he's fairly muscular) that he could probably take care of himself and he replied that it doesn't really cross his mind because he doesn't fear any crime. He's been in heated arguments before but there's never been a worry of it spilling over into something more serious. That's in an area where everybody (or just about everybody) carries. Everyone knows the potential consequences of arguments boiling over, so they make sure it doesn't happen. His motto is that an armed society is a polite society, and that's something I agree with.

I know you've said you're finished with the debate but I'd really like it if you could consider the following. Say there is a gun-grab, and a large number of Americans refuse to hand them over. They are peaceful, but not pacifists. What that means is that they would only use violence in self-defence, nothing else. Several confiscations are met with resistance, the authorities attack some gun owners and the gun owners try to defend themselves. Both sides sustain casualties. Fear of more casualties and facing growing resentment from officers unhappy with carrying out these orders, the police ask the president for help. At this point, would Obama give the worst order a president can give - The order for the military to start attacking civilians? I hope he wouldn't, but history teaches us that power corrupts. An armed population serves as a deterrent against abuse of power.

Even a lightly armed militia can go up against a superpower military if they play it smart, no matter what era it's in. In an era where armies met on the field in formation for battle, the American revolutionaries hid in trees, fired at the Redcoats and then ran off to fight another day. In modern times, the same general idea of guerrilla tactics enables the Taliban to fight an enemy that has far more technological superiority to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending