The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

History at St Andrews 2014 - GCSE/A level + Study Abroad

Hey! I'm hoping to go to St Andrews starting in 2014 but I was wondering if I could have some clarification on some queries I have.
Are St Andrews really particular about GCSE grades? I got 2 A*s 7 As and a B but I know some unis want like 5 A*s?
I'm predicted 4 A's for my AS levels and I hope to get that but I was also wondering anyone who is doing History at St Andrews what are your views on it? It looks such a lovely place to study and the course is really good! I'm also hoping if I get in, to do the study abroad in 3rd year [hopefully America] and so I was wondering that if anybody who has done that - what is it like and how competitive is it?
Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 1
Maybe Oh-WOW can help here...?

Original post by Oh-WOW
x
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by jellybellys
Hey! I'm hoping to go to St Andrews starting in 2014 but I was wondering if I could have some clarification on some queries I have.
Are St Andrews really particular about GCSE grades? I got 2 A*s 7 As and a B but I know some unis want like 5 A*s?
I'm predicted 4 A's for my AS levels and I hope to get that but I was also wondering anyone who is doing History at St Andrews what are your views on it? It looks such a lovely place to study and the course is really good! I'm also hoping if I get in, to do the study abroad in 3rd year [hopefully America] and so I was wondering that if anybody who has done that - what is it like and how competitive is it?

Original post by Helsy
Maybe Oh-WOW can help here...?

Sorry, I completely missed this.
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to either of these questions. Obviously St Andrews like good grades but they place a big emphasis on the personal statement and I don't really think there is a set policy. I can't really offer much of an example as I did have more than the 5A*s that you mention.
As far as study abroad, again this is something I'm not really sure about. I never looked into it much as I didn't really want to go away for a year and going away for a semester can be trickly in terms of housing etc. There is a page about it here http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/studyabroad/index.htm but I'm sure if you email the school they will answer all of your questions. They are pretty helpful.

In terms of the course, it is enjoyable. First and second year can be a bit dull in parts as they are general courses that cover wide topics and periods. Some parts I loved and others I hated but it gives you a good wide base and an idea of what you might enjoy for honours modules. Honours modules are good as there's a wide variety of topics and so far the teaching has been great. The classes are pretty small in history which is nice as you can have a proper debate, though it isn't so great if you haven't done the work! I really like that St Andrews have a modular system as it meant I took up medieval and ancient history at sub honours and this was something that I had never done before and hadn't really considered before. I applied for modern history and was a strict late modern historian but I really enjoyed medieval and I switched to a general history degree and I now take a mixture of medieval and modern. If you have any specific questions about the course etc. let me know.
Reply 3

Original post by Oh-WOW
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to either of these questions. Obviously St Andrews like good grades but they place a big emphasis on the personal statement and I don't really think there is a set policy. I can't really offer much of an example as I did have more than the 5A*s that you mention.
As far as study abroad, again this is something I'm not really sure about. I never looked into it much as I didn't really want to go away for a year and going away for a semester can be trickly in terms of housing etc. There is a page about it here http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/studyabroad/index.htm but I'm sure if you email the school they will answer all of your questions. They are pretty helpful.

In terms of the course, it is enjoyable. First and second year can be a bit dull in parts as they are general courses that cover wide topics and periods. Some parts I loved and others I hated but it gives you a good wide base and an idea of what you might enjoy for honours modules. Honours modules are good as there's a wide variety of topics and so far the teaching has been great. The classes are pretty small in history which is nice as you can have a proper debate, though it isn't so great if you haven't done the work! I really like that St Andrews have a modular system as it meant I took up medieval and ancient history at sub honours and this was something that I had never done before and hadn't really considered before. I applied for modern history and was a strict late modern historian but I really enjoyed medieval and I switched to a general history degree and I now take a mixture of medieval and modern. If you have any specific questions about the course etc. let me know.

No worries Oh-WOW, just thought you might have a better idea since you're a historian.

But jellybellys, I also got a mix of A*/A and B at GCSE, including B in English Language, but they still took me. I think they just focus on the GCSE passes in the core subjects and preferably high passes in topics you want to study.
I've got a friend who's off for a year abroad next year, and by the sounds of it, it can be quite competitive, especially those for North America. But not impossible.

Hopefully me and Oh-WOW have managed to cover the bases. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Oh-WOW

Thank you very much! That was very helpful :smile: thanks! I'll give them an e-mail but luckily i'm visiting on the open day on the 3rd of April so i'll ask more then! Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if there's anything else - thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Helsy
No worries Oh-WOW, just thought you might have a better idea since you're a historian.

But jellybellys, I also got a mix of A*/A and B at GCSE, including B in English Language, but they still took me. I think they just focus on the GCSE passes in the core subjects and preferably high passes in topics you want to study.
I've got a friend who's off for a year abroad next year, and by the sounds of it, it can be quite competitive, especially those for North America. But not impossible.

Hopefully me and Oh-WOW have managed to cover the bases. :smile:

That's awesome - thank you for your help! Yeah I got my B in English Language too! Okay great thanks and ah awesome where is she visiting? I hope to if I go get a place in North America but I can imagine it being very competitive! Thanks again for your help - you have both definitely answered what I was wondering about!
Reply 6
Thank you very much! That was very helpful :smile: thanks! I'll give them an e-mail but luckily i'm visiting on the open day on the 3rd of April so i'll ask more then! Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if there's anything else - thanks :smile:

I'll be working at the visiting day so I might even bump into you!

There's a careers and study abroad talk at 11am in the Buchanan lecture hall (you will be shown where that is on your map during registration) so you might want to try and go to that. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Do you have to have done an a level language to study history at St Andrews? I really like the look of it and the course. I got an A in German at GCSE, 6.5A*'s, 3A's, and 0.5 B (Y9 half GCSE textiles). I got an A* in history itself at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending