The Student Room Group

Is a degree in Art History worth it?

I am an Austrian IB student taking HL: art, English langlit, psych and SL: bio, math ai, geman lit. Im predicted a 37 but I think I could get a 38.
I am considering applying to the UK bc unis tend to be ranked higher. I am very interested in studying art histroy and would apply to: UCL, oxford, Kings, Queen Mary, St. Andrews.
These are top unis and if I get accepted to best case scenerio oxford I will def. atend. If not I will likely take a gap year.
I am also intrest in studying Psycholgy but dont meet the maths qualifications for these top unis.
The reason I want to apply to the top ones is bc. if im gonna move abroad and pay a lot of money I want it to be worth it.
Does anyone have any guidance. I feel very lost surroudning this topic and if a history of arts degree is worth it. Advice?
(edited 7 months ago)
@Miramagg

Do you know what you want to do with a degree in art history?

Do you have an interest in art history or is it just a way to go to a top university?

I think you should definitely do your research on the different universities and their art history course as they are likely to differ. It might also be good to find out about opportunities on the course for work experience/ internships and what graduates tend do afterwards.

Moving abroad to study is a big decision, so it's important to know what you want to study and why.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
A degree from a good and well known uni is not something you will regret having. However, if you want to go into the field of museums / galleries, the competition is immense (and these are not well paid roles) and you will need to consider getting a Masters too (a bachelors is not enough).

Quick Reply

Latest