The Student Room Group

Chris Huhne sentenced to 8 MONTHS imprisonment

Huhne will begin his custodial sentence immediately and will be held in the court holding cells until he can be transported by prison van to most likely a high security London prison before being moved to a more appropriate category of prison to serve his sentence later on this week.

Vicky Pryce, his ex-wife has been given an 8 month sentence and she will begin her's immediately too.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Whilst the sentence is 8 months, the judge said that he will have to serve at least half of that (i.e. he can get out in 4 if he behaves).

How far he has fallen. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
I shudder to think that had a few votes gone the other way in 2007; he could have been their leader.
Reply 3
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Whilst the sentence is 8 months, the judge said that he will have to serve at least half of that (i.e. he can get out in 4 if he behaves).

How far he has fallen. :rolleyes:

He will spend it in an open prison too, where after a while they let you go home at weekends. However tonight, he'll be on his way to a tough London remand prison, probably Brixton.
Original post by meenu89
I shudder to think that had a few votes gone the other way in 2007; he could have been their leader.

The texts between he and his son were a bit embarrassing too. :rolleyes:
What a story overall.
Reply 6
I don't get why this deserved so much attention. It's been sitting at the top of practically every news page while a quite important story on the dangers of antibiotic resistance (which affects us ALL) is below it. :confused:
Original post by HumanSupremacist
The texts between he and his son were a bit embarrassing too. :rolleyes:

That was so awful.

And the call between him and his ex-wife.
He will be out in 4 months.
Original post by Xotol
I don't get why this deserved so much attention. It's been sitting at the top of practically every news page while a quite important story on the dangers of antibiotic resistance (which affects us ALL) is below it. :confused:

I agree, I was hearing about that today and I find that rather intriguing.
Oh dear. I think he has been punished enough; prison is of no use to him or to the wider public who have to pay for it. What a sad story this has been.
Reply 11
Not long enough, should be a lot longer I feel.
Reply 12
Original post by ArtGoblin
Oh dear. I think he has been punished enough; prison is of no use to him or to the wider public who have to pay for it. What a sad story this has been.

I agree, seems tokenistic and that they're trying to make an example out of him as the judge mentioned the deterrence element, hopefully he'll appeal to get his sentence cut. He has been punished more than any prison would.

He's still a multimillionaire.
He's going to prison for a few weeks.
He'll be going to an open prison, a prison where you could literally just talk out.

He'll probably enjoy his time there to be honest. Not working, meals and accommodation paid for, meeting interesting people and time for a bit of R&R, while he writes memoirs and spend weekends away with his girlfriend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
That was so awful.

And the call between him and his ex-wife.

It was pretty bad, yes.

I ponder over how much politics may actually greatly effect the general character of a politician and his relationships... :holmes:
Reply 14
Original post by meenu89

Yeah, imagine what the fallout would have been if that had been the case: the Lib Dem party leader and Deputy PM of the Coalition being forced to resign and subsequently being sent to prison - the scandal would have been on an entirely different scale. The effect on the Coalition would have been seismic.

Does anyone know if anything like that's ever happened to someone at the top of government?
Reply 15
Original post by Reader 79
Yeah, imagine what the fallout would have been if that had been the case: the Lib Dem party leader and Deputy PM of the Coalition being forced to resign and subsequently being sent to prison - the scandal would have been on an entirely different scale. The effect on the Coalition would have been seismic.

Does anyone know if anything like that's ever happened to someone at the top of government?

Jonathan Aitken, Cabinet minister in Sir John Majors Government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Aitken
Reply 16
The guys a lil bitch, hope he drops the soap.
Reply 17
I agree, I was hearing about that today and I find that rather intriguing.

Yeah, I did my EPQ on this exact topic, and I have to say (without going into too much detail), we are basically screwed if nothing is done about it soon. I don't think people understand how bad the situation is.

And yet a politician, who will probably be forgotten in a couple of weeks time, gets sentenced to 8 months and it's more news worthy than that? Bs.
Original post by Xotol
Yeah, I did my EPQ on this exact topic, and I have to say (without going into too much detail), we are basically screwed if nothing is done about it soon. I don't think people understand how bad the situation is.

And yet a politician, who will probably be forgotten in a couple of weeks time, gets sentenced to 8 months and it's more news worthy than that? Bs.

I even heard a claim on the radio that if nothing is done about this situation soon, then things will be as bad as the time before antibiotics (penicillin) were discovered.

That's a pretty scary scary prospect.
I even heard a claim on the radio that if nothing is done about this situation soon, then things will be as bad as the time before antibiotics (penicillin) were discovered.

That's a pretty scary scary prospect.

That's pretty much accurate. We won't be able to do even the most simple surgeries without a high risk of fatal infection. One of the biggest problems is that pharmaceutical companies don't tend to invest in the development of new antibiotics because they're not that profitable; people are on them for a few weeks and they have to be replaced every few years anyway. I'm not saying big drigs giants are evil, it's just that it genuinely makes very little business sense. There is no silver bullet for infectious diseases, and we're essentailly in an arms race with them- give it a few more years and they'll win unless new antibiotics are developed now.

It would, of course, help massively if people would take the full course of antibiotics instead of coming off them when they feel better. Listen to your doctors, people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending