The Student Room Group

Why was the treatment of the Tolpuddle Martyrs similar to the conscious objectors?

I just had my History mock and this question came up:

'Explain one way in which the treatment of the tolpuddle martyrs was similar to the treatment of conscious objectors'
[4 marks]

I had no idea, could someone please help me on what I could have written? Thanks :smile:
I had this exact question for my mocks as well I believe it was the first question in the Whitechapel section Ik this was not in the textbook so i was very taken a back when i opened my paper
I recall that the Tolpuddle Martyrs were transported to Australia, because they took a secret oath. Conscientious objectors were those who refused military service because of their beliefs- although the law recognise them, some were not deemed as such and were imprisoned. I think the conviction for a crime is the similarity, though feel the two cases are very different.
okay thanks :smile:
I was answering this question too and thought possibly that the similarity is they both were convicted using Army laws. The tolpuddle martyrs were convicted using a old navy law and the consciousness objectors were convicted through conscription.
I just had this is my mock too, I don’t think there are similarities except for the army law thing and that it was way harsh! Do you?
Original post by Becca_iris_Hanan
I just had this is my mock too, I don’t think there are similarities except for the army law thing and that it was way harsh! Do you?

I agree! I did the think of the angle that they were both shunned from society but that gives you one sentence and even then, tolpuddle martyrs were transported whereas objectors went back home unwelcomed.
I recommend just going into detail about why they were both convicted using the army laws
Original post by SiameseSulfate
I just had my History mock and this question came up:

'Explain one way in which the treatment of the tolpuddle martyrs was similar to the treatment of conscious objectors'
[4 marks]

I had no idea, could someone please help me on what I could have written? Thanks :smile:

I have this mock coming up tomorrow is it paper 1 2019 crime and punishment? if so HELP!
Reply 9
same, a couple of people from my school said it is the one we are doing however i cant be certaingood luck
Original post by Josephscott27
I was answering this question too and thought possibly that the similarity is they both were convicted using Army laws. The tolpuddle martyrs were convicted using a old navy law and the consciousness objectors were convicted through conscription.

Thanks for the help,My teacher gave us this homework as peer mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending