The Student Room Group

Computer science at Edinburgh or Manchester?

I have received offers from both universities but I am really confused between the two?
Which of the two have better computer science departments and also which is a more fun university? To be honest I hate sitting inside and live chilling and socialing with people so yeah which of the two also have a good social life?? Help pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Do you have any other specific questions or preferences? I'm a 4th year student at Edinburgh, staying for a 5th year to do the MInd (I absolutely love it here).
The research here is the best in the country by far(far superior to oxford and cambridge in computing). Manchester however also offers fantastic research and is better than Oxbridge by far :wink:.
City wise, Edinburgh wins hands down - imo Manchester isn't a great place although i've not spent a large amount of time there.
Social life in pollock halls - there's always LOTS going on in all different directions, from parties or just chilling for a pint in the JMCC to climbing arthurs seat or picnics. It's a place with 2 thousands students in the space of a few minutes walk - I was never bored or struggling to find someone who wanted to do something. I ate dinner with 20 or so people I knew quite well every evening.

However, our house in Pollock was exceptionally close in comparison to others :smile:. But each 'house' in pollock has a ping pong table and big ass TV so people crowd round when there's things on or have ping pong tornements (or beer pong).

If you fancy a night out there's usually people going on a night out. If you fancy a chilled night in, there's usually people having a chilled night in. This is Pollock, Lee house specifically.

SDP course in third year is outstanding - you get into teams of 10 students and build a robot that plays football and then compete against each other at the end of the semester. Google, IBM, Amazon and lots of other companies come to watch and judge and you can have a chat with them in the pub after. Its a course other universities don't seem to offer (or offer anything near that) and it was probably one of the best things i've done here.
Reply 2
Original post by Bawa15
I have received offers from both universities but I am really confused between the two?
Which of the two have better computer science departments and also which is a more fun university? To be honest I hate sitting inside and live chilling and socialing with people so yeah which of the two also have a good social life?? Help pls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity which one did you go to? And what's it like? I'm in the exact same situation at you were. Can't decide between them at all.
remember edinburgh's cs degree will take you an extra year to complete. it's the better institution but are you willing to spend an extra year at university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending