The Student Room Group

Boils on buttocks and thighs

Hey, I'm male, in my mid to late teens. I recently have had a problem of recurring boils - which I think is due to stress of school - and they've left really ugly scars, particularly on the butt. I'm extremely self-conscious of my body, and these just make me feel ashamed.

Does anyone know any way to get rid of them, without having to get cosmetic surgery, or going to the doctors?
Two letters for you-

G P
I used to have this when i was in mid to late teens and i think stress and worry was a big factor.
The scarring will go and they will eventually stop. Try to ignore the fact they are there, as soon as i started doing that they pretty much went. I used to get so paranoid about my ex seeing them when we had sex and i think the worry made them worse.

I feel for you, they are horrible.
I always get boils during exam period, it's horrible. :frown:
Sudocrem helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Rooster523
Two letters for you-

G P

I'd really rather not... I know the boils are down to stress, so they should go away after this little rough patch in my life, its more the scarring.

I will go if its a last resort though.

Original post by Anonymous
I used to have this when i was in mid to late teens and i think stress and worry was a big factor.
The scarring will go and they will eventually stop. Try to ignore the fact they are there, as soon as i started doing that they pretty much went. I used to get so paranoid about my ex seeing them when we had sex and i think the worry made them worse.

I feel for you, they are horrible.

I don't think the scarring will go though :frown: Some have been there for a few months, and while some of them are a light brown colour - which doesn't bother me too much - others are a really dark purple which is just ugly. I'm honestly ashamed.
Reply 5
Scars unfortunately often the only way to get rid is to have cosmetic surgery but i would say that the scars you have are not that serious so over time they will heal by them selves, there are also creams/oils you can buy that are supposed to help remove the scar tissue, maybe these would work for you.

Take care :smile:
Reply 6
Bio-Oil.

I find I only get boils round my nether regions when I've been wearing the same pants too long or haven't washed my pyjamas recently enough. (Gross I know, I'm sorry).
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
Bio-Oil.

I find I only get boils round my nether regions when I've been wearing the same pants too long or haven't washed my pyjamas recently enough. (Gross I know, I'm sorry).

You are only human :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous

I don't think the scarring will go though :frown: Some have been there for a few months, and while some of them are a light brown colour - which doesn't bother me too much - others are a really dark purple which is just ugly. I'm honestly ashamed.

It will go, dont despair, maybe try bio oil like someone else suggested? or look online for other things that help scarring :smile:
You could try sudocrem on fresh ones. But dont try too many things on the fresh ones as it could make it worse.
I know this is an old thread, but i'm going to bump it in case anybody else is experiencing this.

For the last few years i've had reoccurring boils on my inner thighs. I wear tight skinnies most of the time, so I thought perhaps this was the cause (it certainly was making them more likely to happen). The boils weren't too painful and I was able to go about my daily business alright. However, in the last few months the boils started to get much worse. Whereas before they were periodical, they started to become much more frequent. As soon as one would go another would come up and now I usually get 2-3 at a time. Twice now the boils have become so severe that they feel like my inner thigh was on fire. I could barely walk without being in severe pain.

I was in the last few months of my degree when I started to get them quite bad and they got worse when I started a new job so, naturally, my family and I thought it was all the stress that was causing them. They were getting badly infected so I thought enough is enough, I need to see the doctor. He put me on a weeks course of flucloxacillin and today I had to go for a blood test. The doctor wants me to be checked for diabetes, immune system function, liver and kidney function, thyroid and a general blood check because he believes there is an underlying cause. I have to wait a week now to find out if the blood tests show anything (quite nervous actually, i'm only 24).

Anyway, the point is, don't hesitate (and I urge you to) see your GP. It could turn out to be nothing, but it's always best to check. That is what they are there for and why you pay NI (or will do someday). Don't forget they get paid to do this and its always better to be safe than sorry. Get yourselves checked out because it could be something simple or it could be a big underlying cause.
Did you ever get your results. What was the cause. Did the gp recommend hibiscrub?
Original post by Holidaylets1995
Did you ever get your results. What was the cause. Did the gp recommend hibiscrub?

They referred me to a dermatologist...still waiting for that initial letter 9 months on (probably won't receive it). Still getting inner thigh boils but they are less sore and painful than they were last year. I've noticed that since I've started a new course they've been flaring up again a bit. Not sure if it's stress or the fact I'm walking more and the friction is causing it. If they get any worse I'm going to go back to the doctors again and hopefully have an actual solution this time that doesn't make me wait months.
Original post by Ronove
Bio-Oil.

Or changed your nappy often enough. Bedbugs a possibility too... leather trousers... an allergy to new underwear? I'm allergic to wool... took me years to realise.
(edited 4 years ago)
Bio -oil has definitely helped with my boil scars .. be consistent though . Got mine from Walgreens

Latest