The Student Room Group

Language Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Is it fun to be a mod?
Reply 1581
What does it involve, is it fun? well, since the society was still working although I have forgotten all about it, I guess it doesn't take much to be one, now does it? Is it fun? If you like chatting on forums then I believe it is fun. You are important :wink: :P
Reply 1582
What's this society about though? I only found out it existed by seeing you post and it bumped it in the recent threads... Isn't it redundant with other more specialized societies like the French, SPanish, German, Russian, Italian, etc Learners Society?
Reply 1583
haha, good point.
but i cannot say that i am interested in ONE particular language for instance. I just enjoy languages and the more you study the more you notice that in fact it is difficult to distinguish between the languages, or at least so it is for me: I think in three different languages depending on the topic, when I study Korean I cannot separate it from Chinese (I do not think that separating would be useful), languages are for me fun tools to manage the world around and I cannot distinguish one particular language that I would like to focus on.
When we started the society with a member called Jammertal it was for the reason that both of us had no one particular language that we specialized in: jammertal was speaking german, french and english, I was speaking polish, german and english and was about to start Chinese. So this society was for people like us :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
how do you join the society? sorry for being a little slow XD
One for your hello list: Terve (Finnish)

I guess I should consider joining up, what with studying Spanish, Italian and Catalan taking me out of 'trilingual' and starting to learn Finnish taking me up to a potential pentalingual stage...that is, if I improve to a better level of fluency with them all. Polyglottal glossophile :biggrin:
Reply 1586
Original post by British_Student^^
how do you join the society? sorry for being a little slow XD

just click: join society

@terve: hi :smile:
Reply 1587
Original post by kashiya
just click: join society

@terve: hi :smile:

Where is that Join Society thing? I can't find it :s-smilie:
Reply 1588
hm good question never had to use it :wink: anyone?
Xurvi, you study smthing with Asian languages?
Reply 1589
Original post by kashiya
hm good question never had to use it :wink: anyone?
Xurvi, you study smthing with Asian languages?

I remember there was something like "societies linked to this forum" or something but can't find again how to access this page.

I'm studying Japanese, English and Portuguese at the moment.

Edit: Here it is
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=227
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1590
:smile: just added u~

Japanese, Eng, Portuguese - now that's an interesting combination...
Reply 1591
Original post by kashiya
:smile: just added u~

Japanese, Eng, Portuguese - now that's an interesting combination...

I'm always interesting :awesome:
Thanks kashiya :smile:

Now happily a member of the language society. Hola! :smile: (shame about no upside-down exlaimation mark :frown: :p: )
So, what do you find is the easiest way to learn grammar & vocab then?
Reply 1594
It depends on your memory. The three main types are auditory, visual and kinaesthetic. Depending on what your memory favours, the emphasis of learning techniques will be different.
So, what do you find is the easiest way to learn grammar & vocab then?

Context
Originally Posted By Sapientia
Context

For example for vocab do you group words in different groups (e.g. conjunctions, words related to themes etc.) Was just curious at what methods other people used to remember things like verb endings & vocab (something i'm struggling with at the moment) :p:

sorry for the long reply, by the way XD
For example for vocab do you group words in different groups (e.g. conjunctions, words related to themes etc.) Was just curious at what methods other people used to remember things like verb endings & vocab (something i'm struggling with at the moment) :p:

sorry for the long reply, by the way XD

Nah, I just take words as they come. So I'll read Yahoo!Japan to improve Japanese and learn new words. Then I use a monolingual dictionary and learn that, for example, 'Aiaigasa' means 'Futari de ippon no kasa wo sasu koto' (TSR not displaying Japanese characters) instead of trying to fumble it into some English jumbo. So you learn words like a speaker of that language would, and you learn them in places where they are used, so you can see the context and how to use it in a sentence properly.
Reply 1598
For vocab I usually group the words by type when learning, but the most important part to me is to "insert" a meaning in the word. Like, I'd think a whale when reading 'kujira' in Japanese. Or I'd think of the abstract concept of sequence, logical or chronological for 'sorekara', instead of linking these words to baleine and ensuite which would be the equivalents in my native language.

That's how I try to associate meaning to a word instead of a word I know to a new one. It's perhaps harder to learn this way but I believe on the long run it would be beneficial as I wouldn't have to do Meaning>Native Language Word>Associated Foreign Language Word but straight from the meaning to the word I want, effectively increasing my spontaneity.

For verb endings I usually try to find a logical reasoning rather than learn by rote endings, and then practice it enough so it becomes spontaneous, though at first I would be recreating the conjugated verb. For instance in Portuguese and Spanish, some tense (conditional if I recall right) is formed by the verb at the infinitive followed by the imperfect tense endings; I would recreate it when conjugating, taking the infinitive and adding the appropriate ending that I already know rather than learn by rote the endings. I always try to find verbs working alike - go/went/gone, undergo/underwent/undergone, drink/drank/drunk and sink/sank/sunk etc
Original post by Xurvi
For vocab I usually group the words by type when learning, but the most important part to me is to "insert" a meaning in the word. Like, I'd think a whale when reading 'kujira' in Japanese. Or I'd think of the abstract concept of sequence, logical or chronological for 'sorekara', instead of linking these words to baleine and ensuite which would be the equivalents in my native language.

That's how I try to associate meaning to a word instead of a word I know to a new one. It's perhaps harder to learn this way but I believe on the long run it would be beneficial as I wouldn't have to do Meaning>Native Language Word>Associated Foreign Language Word but straight from the meaning to the word I want, effectively increasing my spontaneity.

For verb endings I usually try to find a logical reasoning rather than learn by rote endings, and then practice it enough so it becomes spontaneous, though at first I would be recreating the conjugated verb. For instance in Portuguese and Spanish, some tense (conditional if I recall right) is formed by the verb at the infinitive followed by the imperfect tense endings; I would recreate it when conjugating, taking the infinitive and adding the appropriate ending that I already know rather than learn by rote the endings. I always try to find verbs working alike - go/went/gone, undergo/underwent/undergone, drink/drank/drunk and sink/sank/sunk etc

I agree entirely and this is why I use a monolingual dictionary, to form an image of the concept of the word, not to use an English crux and then be constantly flowing through English. No thanks. Doumo arigatou Mr. Roboto.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending