The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Newcastle Uni?

I can't decide which university of these two to go to as there are many pros and cons to both. I have received offers from both Universities to study Modern Languages (entry year 2024), with the grade requirements being BBB for both (I get contextual offer so it's quite low) and I am confident in getting these grades in my A levels. I was originally deciding between Newcastle and UCL, however I got rejected from UCL so I was set on Newcastle. I never really considered Durham because I didn't think I would get in but now that I have I can't decide. Durham clearly has better career opportunities and I really like the city, but a lot of people say t is snobby and I come from a very poor, working class background so it makes me nervous. Newcastle is less prestige, however I have heard it is a very inclusive and diverse. In terms of the course, I like both, however I prefer Newcastle's course a tiny bit more, but I'm not sure this cancels out the large difference in rankings. Please give me some advice as this decision is proving very difficult.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I can't decide which university of these two to go to as there are many pros and cons to both. I have received offers from both Universities to study Modern Languages (entry year 2024), with the grade requirements being BBB for both (I get contextual offer so it's quite low) and I am confident in getting these grades in my A levels. I was originally deciding between Newcastle and UCL, however I got rejected from UCL so I was set on Newcastle. I never really considered Durham because I didn't think I would get in but now that I have I can't decide. Durham clearly has better career opportunities and I really like the city, but a lot of people say t is snobby and I come from a very poor, working class background so it makes me nervous. Newcastle is less prestige, however I have heard it is a very inclusive and diverse. In terms of the course, I like both, however I prefer Newcastle's course a tiny bit more, but I'm not sure this cancels out the large difference in rankings. Please give me some advice as this decision is proving very difficult.

Having done a 4 year degree at Durham this year, I don't think everyone is too snobby, depends where you look (obviously you cannot avoid some). People in my course (Computer Science) have been super friendly and I have rarely met someone who is upleasant to interact with 🙂 I'm also not the richest and went to state schools so that's my experience (although Chad's has a lot of snobby people - I'd say to avoid that college, everyone in my corridor went to private schools when I joined). The graduate prospects, in addition, are not to be ignored - Durham's really good at helping you get a decent job at the end, my course has 100% people getting employed within 15 months of graduating.

I hope this helps 😀
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hiya,

You can chat to some of the students, particularly those studying Modern Languages on UniBuddy and they may be able to provide more insight.
Unibuddy Chat with a student from Durham University - Durham University

While Durham does have its reputation, generally, the reputation is not as bad as it seems. Although the city is quite small, the student population is quite mixed and there are a lot of students from different backgrounds at Durham. Also, our student societies are incredibly active and we have a range of different societies like the 93% Club and the Modern Languages and Cultures Society.
Groups @ Durham SU

Durham Student Ambassadors also conduct a range of tours and talks throughout the year which you can attend to get a better picture of what it's like as a Durham Student. Alternatively, we have our Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open days you can attend.
Open Days and Visits - Durham University

Best 🙂
-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest