The Student Room Group

Anybody else think A levels are too easy?

Scroll to see replies

Bullcrap.
Original post by awilson008
I didn't receive an offer from Cambridge, because I didn't apply.

bye bye
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dugald
I feel the same way. I don't really try that hard, never really make many notes in lesson or anything. I never understand how it is even possible to get D/E/U in an exam. I'm now studying AS levels and got high 90's in UMS percent in all my January modules. I already have an A in AS Geography and Critical Thinking and if I was to take A2 I would be predicted A* in both. I was convinced I had failed general studies because I did the whole of the last essay in about 2 minutes but ended up with 95/100.
My revision technique is to start revision about 2 weeks before the exam, spending most of my time on past papers so you already know what sort of thing will be in the mark scheme when particular questions come up in the real exam.
I take the same subjects as you by the way; Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths. I'm considering self-teaching myself further maths.

2 weeks before the exam?
I'm smelling something here...
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Natural Talent ? Nah l dont believe it, so you telling me you didnt do a drop of hard work for your exams ?
?

Depends what you mean by hard work. A concentrated two weeks of revision before the exam max?
Reply 44
Arts subjects are not soft but in today's relative terms they are harder than the sciences.
Reply 45
People saying 'natural talent' are delusional. A Levels do not require an inch of talent, they require you to pay attention in class, revise, and make an effort to understand what you are taught so you can apply it to exam questions, which are generally very simple and predictable. Exams which test 'natural talent' are olympiads, and maybe STEP, but even they can be mastered with hard work and experience, but that is all talent really is. Obviously under achievers don't like to admit this.
Original post by genuinelydense
i think you're trolling, hun.

bye bye

You asked me a genuine (although really freaking stupid) question which I answered honestly.

Hardly trolling.
OP sounds like an utter arseface. Good luck in life with that superiority complex; I'm sure you'll go far...
Original post by midnightice
2 weeks before the exam?
I'm smelling something here...

Yes l smell it too, why my good sir this is the smell of Bull****. :poo:
You find it easy because you do subjects that have either a right answer or a wrong answer.
I'm not saying they're easy, cos' i know if i was to do the more sciencey and maths subjects like you, I would fail, miserably.
But I find A levels quite hard, I do History, Politics, French and English Lit.
But yeah all depends on the person and my personal opinion is that it's pretty hard. :')

Also, I don't think that A levels should be made harder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GeneralOJB
People saying 'natural talent' are delusional. A Levels do not require an inch of talent, they require you to pay attention in class, revise, and make an effort to understand what you are taught so you can apply it to exam questions, which are generally very simple and predictable. Exams which test 'natural talent' are olympiads, and maybe STEP, but even they can be mastered with hard work and experience, but that is all talent really is. Obviously under achievers don't like to admit this.

What a load of rubbish!
Reply 51
Original post by James A
What a load of rubbish!

Find me one A level maths paper with an emphasis on quantitative problem solving.
Original post by midnightice
OP sounds like an utter arseface. Good luck in life with that superiority complex; I'm sure you'll go far...

Superiority complex? Really?

I find it ridiculous that people like you make assumptions about my character through a post I made on the student room, which mind you was a genuine concern. Whether or not you think I believe I'm superior is simply a fragment of your own imagination.

People like you can't handle when someone (who seemingly has some 'advantage') wants to better and push themselves even farther.
ROFL - people in this thread claiming A levels are easy before they've even finish them.
Reply 54
Original post by TotallyJustMe
Well then, congratulations. You're a genius.

Seriously though, I don't think it's fair to call A Levels easy when the A Levels you do use skills that are very different to those needed in, say, History or a foreign language. You might find those hard. So rather than concluding that A Levels are easy, I guess the only thing you can do is conclude that scientific A Levels are easy to you.

But some people find everything easy? I got AAAAAA at AS. In Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History, French and German. I worked very little. So who knows?
Original post by awilson008
Did you read what I said? Like seriously.

"Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences."

I did take in to consideration that people will be better at different subjects than others. I'm just concerned that those who are at the top of their subject aren't reaching their full potential. I'm sure someone who was amazing at a language may say the same.

Whether or not the subject is easy 'to me' is irrelevant. The fact that A levels are easy for 'some people' surely is a reason why the exams should be made a bit harder to push those people. They're being thrown in to the same bunch of people who just about scrape an A.

I did read your post, and you do make some valid points - grade inflation is something that needs to be fixed and of course, Oxbridge aren't that impressed by an A anymore - but I'm afraid I don't agree with the notion that anything should be made harder just because "some people" find it easy. There will always be "some people" who find achieving certain qualifications easy - no matter how hard/easy a qualification is. I mean, there are people who find the IB/STEP/Hong Kong A-Levels easy. Some people are just prodigies, and prodigies will never be stretched by mainstream government examinations. They need to go beyond the curriculum themselves.

What I'm trying to say is, although you acknowledge that people will have experience of subjects you haven't done, I still don't think you can judge unless you've looked at every A-Level. And I think we have to remember the primary purpose of A Levels too. The reason why we study more than one A Level is to get (relatively) broad background knowledge before we advance and then take up a single subject. I'm sure you'd agree that not everyone who takes Maths A-Level wants to be a mathematician, so there isn't any point in asking A Level students to solve Fermat's Last Theorem. University, in my opinion, is where the boys should be seperated from the men (and indeed the girls from the women).

Hope I haven't offended you. If I were you, I'd just take your good luck and run with it!
Yet you started this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2195448 Haha, you find them easy? Yeah right. :rolleyes:
Decent troll I guess since most people here believed you, 6/10
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jammy4410
ROFL - people in this thread claiming A levels are easy before they've even finish them.

I've done three quarters of my A levels. I think I've been through enough to share my thoughts on them.
Reply 58
Original post by yorkshire.lad
Photographic memory?

A very weak one, yes. literally practice makes perfect, however it is to do with genetics, and this is why this technique works best for me.
Reply 59
Original post by JOR2010
But some people find everything easy? I got AAAAAA at AS. In Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History, French and German. I worked very little. So who knows?
Ok again stop, this is your background, your grades, not everyone is the same. In fact a lot of standard alevel-goers are only allowed to take 3/4subjects so the assumption is you were persistent through gcse, then alevel so the jump didn't really feel like a jump, or your privately educated. Now the common populace would object overall an increase in difficulty to alevels; TSR is just a small section of the student population

Quick Reply

Latest