The Student Room Group

(Serious) A levels are too easy

Is it weird that I find A levels too easy?

I did two of my A levels (maths and physics) early, and got two A stars last year. This year I am doing further maths and religious studies, but it's weird because most people in my school find A levels quite hard and revise a lot, but I've finished most of my university textbook for physics. I think that A levels should honestly be made a bit harder- to test your lateral thinking and problem solving ability rather than your ability to regurgitate information, which is why I like participating in STEM competitions,
Original post by PhysicsPhysics12

I did two of my A levels (maths and physics) early, and got two A stars last year. This year I am doing further maths and religious studies, but it's weird because most people in my school find A levels quite hard and revise a lot, but I've finished most of my university textbook for physics. I think that A levels should honestly be made a bit harder- to test your lateral thinking and problem solving ability rather than your ability to regurgitate information, which is why I like participating in STEM competitions,

I'm kind of curious to what your study methods are.

I suppose whether something is easy or not depends more on the individual person. Some people might find some subjects easier than others.

I couldn't agree more. (I'm still deciding what A-Levels to take)
Reply 3
tips then please? i’m struggling with maths and physics rn 😭
Original post by xhibxh
tips then please? i’m struggling with maths and physics rn 😭

Do maths/physics questions which are above the A level difficulty. Stuff like MAT STEP SMC and Isaac physics challenge questions are really good. Seems stupid to do stuff that’s harder than what your struggling with. But your thinking capacity will evolve enough to the point that the only challenge you’ll have with A levels is memorisation. Did for each person obv but that’s what worked for me.
Are you applying for university this year? Be cautious because some universities like to see three A-Levels done in one sitting. There may be exceptions for Maths in one year and Further Maths the next but some universities don't make this exception.

Also which university textbooks are you using? I'm a third-year Maths student so if you want some harder content I can try to point you in the right direction.

You're probably just very gifted at STEM subjects and/or find working hard easier than others! Either way, it sounds like you find them easier than most! (this isn't necessarily 'weird' though, it may well be a good thing if it means you are very good at what you enjoy)
tbf ur subjects dont look too hard in terms of content. those kinda subjects just require big IQ or whatever, u just have to understand whats going on and after that there isnt much else. ofc some ppl find that super hard but for others it comes natural. if u took like biology u would probably find it harder.

I find them easy too!! Like everyone was making it out to be something so difficult, even worse than university, but I'm doing quite well. I've been getting all A*s in my tests and I don't understand why others are saying it's so hard, so it's a RELIEF that it's not just me. But I can't say much as I am doing humanities subjects instead.

But thank you for that small tip, I think I'll start looking at university textbooks too ☺️
Original post by peachymuffin
I find them easy too!! Like everyone was making it out to be something so difficult, even worse than university, but I'm doing quite well. I've been getting all A*s in my tests and I don't understand why others are saying it's so hard, so it's a RELIEF that it's not just me. But I can't say much as I am doing humanities subjects instead.

But thank you for that small tip, I think I'll start looking at university textbooks too ☺️
what humanities did u pick?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ismaelishere
what humanities did u pick?

hii! So I've picked Law, Psychology, Criminology and English Literature. Admittedly, the 3 subjects of Law, Psychology and Criminology are seen as really easy subjects as A-Levels, so that might be the case for me feeling this way.

Quick Reply

Latest