The Student Room Group

Chemical/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering students.. need help!

Hello there everybody!

I am trying to decide what I would really like to do so I can get some experience over summer. I like the sound of Engineering. However, I am not sure what field of engineering and I would like to hear what other students from various engineering degrees think of engineering as a subject.

Do you have any regrets in doing engineering? Tips for year 12s like me? Is further maths needed?

Any Ideas? Is it boring? Interesting? :smile:

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there.

good to here you're thinking of entering the engineering industry.

First off I'm under the impression that the UK currently has a shortage of engineers (I read it on the BBC a while back it must be true) which is useful for anyone deciding their future. Choosing any course is going to be a personal decision, I could sit here and sing the praises of midwifery but what I may be attracted to could be different to what you are. With that said I study electronic engineering, and I really enjoy it, it's not easy if you want to do well (neither is any course really*) it is challenging, but that's good, if you can't rise to that challenge you haven't gained anything from uni. We have an analogue module, digital module and communications module, which are all electriconic engineering, then a maths module and a production module which are for all engineering disciplines, the production one is great its all about team work and team leadership, we have to make an egg lobber which reloads itself.

If you wanna be an engineer in my humble opinion you have to be creative, inquisitive, dedicated, hardworking and have a reasonable amount of intelligence about yourself.

Its a pretty rewarding course and can take you pretty far if you put the effort in.

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest