The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing foundation courses for engineering

Im not doing A level maths or physics but am doing chemistry biology and psychology. Wanted to do medicine but changed my mind
Generally, even for chemical engineering or bioengineering, you still need A level in Math and preferably in physics too.
You can take a foundation year at the Uni of your choice, upon completion of which (passing the exams) you'll be allowed to continue on to the BEng course regardless of you past A level.
Better talk to the admissions team at the Uni (email or call them) and have a chat about your options.
I am also doing medicine they also so me alI can become a phycologist they sent a message I am thinking of doing it
Original post by Tsfrg
Im not doing A level maths or physics but am doing chemistry biology and psychology. Wanted to do medicine but changed my mind

It's worth it in the sense that it would be your only option to pursue engineering! If you want to do engineering then you would have to do a foundation year unless you took the A-levels you are missing. That's exactly why foundation years exist as well - for people who did the "wrong" subjects and changed their minds later :smile:

Original post by Amanda Mbekela
I am also doing medicine they also so me alI can become a phycologist they sent a message I am thinking of doing it

It's not really clear what you're saying but a medical degree qualifies you to become a medical doctor, not a psychologist. To become a (clinical or otherwise) psychologist in the UK requires a BPS accredited psychology degree. They are two separate professions with entirely different qualifying processes.
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply. Do you know the unis offering fiundation courses for electrical engineering. I dont think there are many

Thanks
Original post by Tsfrg
Thank you for your reply. Do you know the unis offering fiundation courses for electrical engineering. I dont think there are many

Thanks

There are plenty actually:
Manchester Uni - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2022/12950/beng-meng-electrical-electronic-and-mechatronic-engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year/

MMU - https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/foundation-year-science-and-engineering-degrees-with-a-foundation-year-engineering-route/

UWL - https://www.uwl.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/electrical-and-electronic-engineering-foundation-year?start=646&option=33

Sheffield - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/electrical-and-electronic-engineering-foundation-year-beng-meng

Just google "BEng electrical engineering with foundation year" and you'll find a lot of options; or go to the website of the Uni of your choice and see if they offer that.
Also, make sure that the Electrical Engineering course is accredited by the IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) at that University.
Original post by Tsfrg

I didn't choose the traditional route with my qualifications, but from my experience if you jump into engineering without level 3 maths and physics you will set yourself up for a road of difficulties, struggles and confusion.

I got into uni for Manufacturing Engineering BEng with a 90 credit BTEC, meaning that I missed the second year of my level 3 qualification. Just that made certain units much more difficult for me than they were for my peers. I can't imagine the struggle if you didn't do any level 3 maths or physics.

In your first year Engineering degree you will be thrown into the world of calculus, matrices etc. If your last interaction with Maths was at GCSE, even if you got a 9 I don't see that being a smooth transition.

So a foundation year will make it easier for you. But at the same time it's an additional year so you finish uni later and got additional costs. Only you can judge whether the trade-off is worth it in your case.
Reply 7
I think it is for me as i dint really hsve interest in anything else. I wsnted to do medicine but changed my mind and wasnt confident of 3 As. Then people have said if your not sure just do a general degree then can decide later what you want to do but thats duffucult to.

I thought about pharmacy but everyone has said dont do it.

Engineering is the only other thing that appeals to me as im creative and like building things. So doing foundation year is the only way in without the appropriate A levels
If anyone is reading this thread and is over 19, your best bet might be to do an Access to HE engineering pathway instead of a foundation year in it, this is because you can take out an advanced learner loan which is completely written off when you complete your degree. Typically there are modules on electrical and mechanical engineering plus maths, and most people do Access at a local F.E college. It is a one year program

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 9
In my personal statement for an engineering foundation course do i need to explain why I'm doing a foundation course as they will have picked up that engineering wasn't my choice when picking my A levels.
Original post by Arden University
If anyone is reading this thread and is over 19, your best bet might be to do an Access to HE engineering pathway instead of a foundation year in it, this is because you can take out an advanced learner loan which is completely written off when you complete your degree. Typically there are modules on electrical and mechanical engineering plus maths, and most people do Access at a local F.E college. It is a one year program

Marc

does an HE gives a better chance to get into university? as lots of universities dont consider HE , or its not something they look for , I did my btec in applied science but now , i dont want to do somethinf related to applied science anymore , i was thinking about doing an foundation year in engineering , but i am so unsure and lost , should i do foundation degree in an not so well known university , or should i do HE and aim for better universities
Original post by Saaruuu
does an HE gives a better chance to get into university? as lots of universities dont consider HE , or its not something they look for , I did my btec in applied science but now , i dont want to do somethinf related to applied science anymore , i was thinking about doing an foundation year in engineering , but i am so unsure and lost , should i do foundation degree in an not so well known university , or should i do HE and aim for better universities

@Saaruuu
Hi, Universities love Access to HE students. Just to clarify if you are unsure an access to he program is a level 3 program which is an alternative to a levels or btecs etc. My background is actually in Nursing and Midwifery and a large number of entrants to the three big Universities in Manchester are Access to H.E students. There are a few reasons. Access to HE programs typically prepare students well in terms of academic skills such as essay writing, referencing etc when there is usually very little of that at say A level. Also, Access to H.E students typically have more life experience which gives them resilience in their studies. The Access to HE program I teach on also has a session which is an hour a week to help with things like your UCAS application to ensure you appear a strong candidate.

A University when you speak to them will try and sell you their foundation year - they are a business after all, but there are many alternatives out there.

From memory, an engineering pathway will typically cover mechanical and chemical engineering with a module in maths too. Sat in on one of their classes last academic year and they were doing really cool stuff.

I would speak to the course co-ordinator for access at your local F.E college

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending