The Student Room Group

I have to pass to change courses.

Has anyone else been in this situation, or know of someone?

I'm a first year who currently doing a course which I've grown to dislike. I have undoubtedly made a mistake picking this course, and I'm suffering for it. I just don't find it interesting at all, I've struggle quite a bit. I actually had a feeling months in that this wasn't me and tried to switch course but I ended up being outside the deadline for switching so I decided to stick it out.

It's April, I still want change course. I'll start from First Year again, but I don't really mind. But I've been told I have to pass or I'll be exited from the university, no transfers allowed.

I was quite shocked to hear this as I've heard of people failing first year and being allowed to give it another go on a course they feel they would be more comfortable in.

I don't think I'm on course to fail (yet), but my motivation for this course is dropping by the day. I've hardly done any revision in Easter. I'm going to meet the head of the course I'm wanting to switch to soon, so I'll see what happens. My UCAS points are above what's required for the new course.

I have a friend who says that they might be "bluffing" in order to keep me from slacking, but I highly doubt it. I don't really see the point in dropping out as I'll be finished mid-May.

Is this common?
(edited 11 years ago)
What's your current course?

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you may as well try to pass first year. Think of it as an opportunity - you get to do one and a bit university degrees, and you'll have partial professional knowledge of another field. Also, socially you can make all your mistakes now, and then start again next year. Do you only have to pass? That's like 40%, so you should be fine if you work hard :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SuarezAlonso
Has anyone else been in this situation, or know of someone?

I'm a first year who currently doing a course which I've grown to dislike. I have undoubtedly made a mistake picking this course, and I'm suffering for it. I just don't find it interesting at all, I've struggle quite a bit. I actually had a feeling months in that this wasn't me and tried to switch course but I ended up being outside the deadline for switching so I decided to stick it out.

It's April, I still want change course. I'll start from First Year again, but I don't really mind. But I've been told I have to pass or I'll be exited from the university, no transfers allowed.

I was quite shocked to hear this as I've heard of people failing first year and being allowed to give it another go on a course they feel they would be more comfortable in.

I don't think I'm on course to fail (yet), but my motivation for this course is dropping by the day. I've hardly done any revision in Easter. I'm going to meet the head of the course I'm wanting to switch to soon, so I'll see what happens. My UCAS points are above what's required for the new course.

I have a friend who says that they might be "bluffing" in order to keep me from slacking, but I highly doubt it. I don't really see the point in dropping out as I'll be finished mid-May.

Is this common?

I feel like this to be honest. I have no motivation for my course and I'm thinking about dropping out after this year and then changing course and/or uni.

What course are you doing at the minute and what do you want to change to?

I think that I could just be thinking that "the grass is always greener on the other side", but I really don't know.
Reply 3
I'm currently doing an Accounting degree and wanting to switch to an ITMB degree.

You three make valid points. Sometimes I can see why, but then sometimes I think it's a little unfair... Second chances and that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending