The Student Room Group

Economics & Human Geography

Hi,

I just really wanted to know what the main differences, but also similarities between the two subjects are?
Reply 1
I don't know much about Economics, but I wouldn't imagine that it's in any way too similar to Human Geography.

Human Geography is, in as few words as possible, how humans interact with the environment in which they live and the implications of their existence in such environments.
At A-level, common Human Geography themes would be..
- Population Change (for example, how the age structure of a country changes as it's level of development increases, or how excessively large population densities can have both positive and negative impacts on an area)
- Settlement (why people choose to live in certain areas, the implications of internal migration in the context of inner city areas or remote rural environments. One part of settlement that I really find interesting is how businesses relocating to the rural-urban fringe can affect inner-city economics and service provision.)
- Ethnic Diversity (how different ethnic groups in society operate; the problems behind defining an ethnic group, the processes that create/maintain an ethnic group and the causes and outcomes of conflict between varying ethnic groups)
- Development (quite simply, how a country's trade/debt/status in terms of world power change as they develop their socio-economic conditions)

This is just a sampler of what I have studied as part of the CCEA A-level Geography course, although exam boards tend to vary their Physical Geography courses more than their Human Geography courses, so I would say that my summaries are pretty relevant to whichever board you may intend to study with.

I hope this has helped :smile:
Reply 2
well Jason just wondering are you by any chance sitting the CCEA A22 Physical geography in May?
Reply 3
Original post by aqagcse2011
well Jason just wondering are you by any chance sitting the CCEA A22 Physical geography in May?

I am, yes, and the Human!
Reply 4
Oh goodluck in the Human exam im glad i have it over me! Just wondering are you doing any of the topics i am doing - River and Coasts and the Dynamic Earth; if so do you have any predictions as to what the essay questions will be? :smile: thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by aqagcse2011
Oh goodluck in the Human exam im glad i have it over me! Just wondering are you doing any of the topics i am doing - River and Coasts and the Dynamic Earth; if so do you have any predictions as to what the essay questions will be? :smile: thanks!

I'm doing the same units :smile:
The essays for Rivers and Coasts always seems to be the river case study, and then the coastal case study, for each of the separate questions!
I really don't know about D.E. but I hope that the Earthquake essay doesn't come up :frown: I hate doing 2 case studies in one essay because you don't get to write as much about each and have to be much more basic in your analysis. I'd much prefer the Volcanic Prediction essay!
Which case studies are you doing?
Reply 6
Yeah the river and coastal essays seem to be a regular theme. What aspect of the river basin question do u think they will specifically ask (e.g. interdependence etc) and what do u reckon they will ask for coasts (arguments for etc) J

Aw I am the same I hate that earthquake question so I do. Yes we do Pinatubo? But I don’t think there is that much information in the textbook on limitations?

I do Holderness Coast, Colorado basin, Pinatubo and the textbook case studies for earthquake activity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending