The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Cos it's basically free money. The SLC won't ever get it back anyway, as I am working abroad. MUGZ! :colone:

Pretty sure they still take it if you're abroad, they have some working abroad form you have to fill in if you go for more than 3 months!
£50 a week ):
How do you work out how much you'll be spending a week? Does this include predicting when we'll be going out?
Original post by Forumfinder
How do you work out how much you'll be spending a week? Does this include predicting when we'll be going out?

Do this

( The total you'll be getting from your grants + savings etc. ) - the cost of your halls then whatever you get you then divide by 40 (40 academic weeks) and that's your budget per week, say you have £70 you're in a good spot food per week I reckon would cost around £30-40 not too sure but the rest is spending! but be wise xd! I sadly have £50 to spend on food so I reckon I'll get £10-20 to spend on what a like a week
Reply 464
Staying in catered so I don't really need to worry about food, i'm lucky my parents are forking out for accommodation and are going to give me £400 a month though with the remainder from each month saved for deposits next year etc..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 465
Original post by graceey_bear
the costs are ridiculous! for some reason there's an image that if you have money your life runs smoothly. when really everyone faces the same issues!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know exactly! I'm very fortunate to have my parents to pay £5700 on my accommodation and give me £300 a month ++ for living even if they have a lot on their plate

Posted from TSR Mobile
However much my parents decide to give me. My accommodation is £6000+ and I get the minimum loan and no grant. :/
Original post by saberahmed786
after rent it will be £110 a week...god, it's gonna be tough living off pot noodles and beans on toast :colone:

With 110pw I don't think you have to worry about pot noodles and beans!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im interested in how people will manage to live on less than 10 quid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmatovey
How much money will you be living off when you go to uni? (Or how much do you live off if you're already there)

I got £100 for food, travel, going out bits and pieces. but not accommodation . Im in halls self catering.
trying to get upto £120 pw
Original post by joker12345
That is a ridiculous amount for accommodation, unless its catered I guess. If you don't have the money, find one thing cheaper - and most accommodation is cheaper!

It is catered. And en suite. I wanted the shared facilities hall, but it is only £10 less per week. That is the only other hall of residence on my campus and that is catered too. I asked to go in there, but they put everyone on my course in the same halls.
Original post by xxKiaraxx
However much my parents decide to give me. My accommodation is £6000+ and I get the minimum loan and no grant. :/

;o 6000 + !? you don't happen to be studying in london xd? or it could be en suite/catered halls!
Original post by kidomo
Im interested in how people will manage to live on less than 10 quid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you actually can live off a £10 a week it's hard but possible here's how I'm guessing

For breakfast weetabix with milk that should cost around £3 for the week of breakfast, for lunch butter pasta which would cost like £2 and then for dinner you'll have £5 to spend on vegetables etc. to steam cook some food, and if you have a bit grab a few nuts etc. and you would be living for £10 AND eating pretty healthy like so : 3 !
Original post by jumpforjoy
I got £100 for food, travel, going out bits and pieces. but not accommodation . Im in halls self catering.
trying to get upto £120 pw

£100 is PLENTY of money ^^ you're going to enjoy the year nicely, and not have to worry 'too' much, say you can spend £50 on food easily and have £50 just for nights out, you're sorted mate!
-£20 so far considering I need an extra £1200 to cover my accommodation
Original post by Lol_Fish
;o 6000 + !? you don't happen to be studying in london xd? or it could be en suite/catered halls!

Yep, I'll be in London. It's en-suite but self catered.
Original post by xxKiaraxx
Yep, I'll be in London. It's en-suite but self catered.

That's very pricy! XD I seem to be ripped of manchester en suite self catered for 5500 ): but can't wait ! Still have so much to pack and I'm moving in 2 days xd
Original post by noone29
This has to be Warwick or Oxbridge?

Edinburgh, I'm an English applicant.
excluding rent about £150 a week from my part time job & a pension thing i get + savings. Not taken any loans out as i don't think i need it & i don't want to get myself into debt unless i have to!
Reply 479
After rent, about £90 per week. I'll be keeping to a budget of £50 per week though.

Latest

Trending

Trending