The Student Room Group

Why do girls/women watch reality shows like TOWIE...?

Im not just talking about teenage girls, women as well. My sister is 31 and watches the Hills and MIC. I dont understand why you would be interested to watch a load of thick people from Essex like Mark Wright speak **** or stuck up people living ridiculous lifestyles like in Made in Chelsea. Its watching these shows which keep them on tv so the rest of us have to suffer from seeing trailers/adverts with these morons on. I know some men watch them but the vast majority of watchers are women, I cant thing of a single guy I know who watches TOWIE or crap like that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by newts2k
Im not just talking about teenage girls, women as well. My sister is 31 and watches the Hills and MIC. I dont understand why you would be interested to watch a load of thick people from Essex like Mark Wright speak **** or stuck up people living ridiculous lifestyles like in Made in Chelsea. Its watching these shows which keep them on tv so the rest of us have to suffer from seeing trailers/adverts with these morons on. I know some men watch them but the vast majority of watchers are women, I cant thing of a single guy I know who watches TOWIE or crap like that.

It's not by force that you must like it to be honest. Most people just watch MIC well, I don't know why, but you sort of become mildly interested in their lives and there tends to be nothing else on.
Reply 2
My Auntie and Uncle watch Made in Chelsea to 'relax' together at the end of a long day...
I personally think it's a waste of time, but I guess it's nice to just wind down and finish the day off being grateful of your life ahaha
Original post by newts2k

Well, if you're feeling down about yourself, it reminds you still how far you have to fall.
Agree, TOWIE and MIC are awful. It's not reality, it's bad acting.
Geordie Shore however, I can't get enough of
Reply 5
Original post by Kateislate
Agree, TOWIE and MIC are awful. It's not reality, it's bad acting.
Geordie Shore however, I can't get enough of

I meant Geordie Shore as well, lol, just any reality tv show with morons pretty much like this
I watch TOWIE, MIC and Geordie Shore and don't understand whats wrong with that :s-smilie: I don't aspire to be like any of those characters, i just find the storyline interesting. Admittedly i don't watch TOWIE as much anymore as it's not as good as it was, but MIC is actually very good at the moment. I don't see why you are bothered so much just by seeing the adverts...if you don't want to watch those kind of shows then don't.
Entertainment value? I'm fairly sure that's the rationale behind most TV shows.

Why do you watch Top Gear?
Original post by newts2k

I don't even know what those shows are about.
I like watching Dragon Ball, CSI, Law & Order, Adventure Time, Spongebob Squarepants, NatGeo documentaries, and other shiz of that sort with my dad.
Back in highschool the girls thought I was weird and well ... just odd. No one else wanted to watch stuff with me except the "outcasted" guys and my dad.

:shy2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by newts2k
I meant Geordie Shore as well, lol, just any reality tv show with morons pretty much like this

Yeah I guessed you meant GS also, but for some reason I love it!
Reply 10
Original post by Rascacielos

Well I dont much but I imagine those who do do so to learn more about cars, as well as being entertained. I suppose Im not entertained by stupid people making stupid comments, perhaps you are?
Reply 11
Original post by Rascacielos

and yeah I do find TG quite educational and interesting when I watch it
Original post by newts2k

I wonder the same thing. It's not all women though. I've never watched any of those programs and never will because they seem so mind-numbing and superficial (superficial in the way that they're just about money, fame and other superficial things). I think maybe women that watch it wish they had the money and extravagant lives the women in it have. All the people I know (personally) that watch these kinds of programs seem to be of the 'easily-led' personality type though, the type that only listen to music that's top of the charts (even when it's rubbish music), that only wear the most current trends (though not necessarily nice or stylish trends), that copy all the current hairstyles, have all the current accessories, get my drift? People that just do what women around them or on TV do because they think that the most popular things must be the best and don't really ever think for themselves.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I've never watched any reality show, not even Big Brother. I don't see the appeal, especially not in those like TOWIE. From what I've read in magazines, I'd rather cut out my eyes than watch it.
Original post by newts2k
Well I dont much but I imagine those who do do so to learn more about cars, as well as being entertained. I suppose Im not entertained by stupid people making stupid comments, perhaps you are?

I can see why it would be entertaining, although I think it's pretty unfair of you to call someone stupid simply because you don't appreciate, understand or like their lifestyle. My TV viewing is limited to Doctor Who and Bones, however.
Reply 15
On top gear you learn about important and new technology of something you use everyday.. On these boring towie and whatever it is all you Lear is how to sleep with people. Cheat on people and be ignorant. People say that towie and the rest of that crap are about everyday life... Everyday life isn't about sleeping with eachother. So for this information you don't learn anything off of there story lines.. Infact you only learn how to mess up your own relationships
Reply 16
I don't watch anything like what you described. Women don't watch it, SOME women do. I personally like stuff like Top Gear and the news. But hey that's just me.
Reply 17
I dunno, they're entertaining in a mindless sort of way. Like when you play with your phone when you're sitting on the loo, or when you read a "young adult" book. Sometimes you just want to be distracted from life and de-stress for a bit. I guess the equivalent to me would be watching football, I literally could not think of anything more boring, but a **** ton of people love it.

Original post by Blue Rose
I wonder the same thing. It's not all women though. I've never watched any of those programs and never will because they seem so mind-numbing and superficial (superficial in the way that they're just about money, fame and other superficial things). I think maybe women that watch it wish they had the money and extravagant lives the women in it have. All the people I know (personally) that watch these kinds of programs seem to be of the 'easily-led' personality type though, the type that only listen to music that's top of the charts (even when it's rubbish music), that only wear the most current trends (though not necessarily nice or stylish trends), that copy all the current hairstyles, have all the current accessories, get my drift? People that just do what women around them or on TV do because they think that the most popular things must be the best and don't really ever think for themselves.

It's silly to generalise people based on the shows they enjoy. I enjoy these shows; that does not mean in any way that I idealise the lifestyle portrayed. It does not mean that I am "easily led", and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't think for myself. I also love documentaries. People don't fit into neat little boxes like that, really, and it's not a good idea to try and force them. That sort of attitude only serves to alienate yourself from others, and creates divides where there are none. And that is something we really don't need any more of in this world.
Reply 18
I've never seen the appeal myself. My sister watches those shows so I've seen them when I've been to her house, I personally find them boring. I don't like Big Brother or the X-Factor either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adorbat
I dunno, they're entertaining in a mindless sort of way. Like when you play with your phone when you're sitting on the loo, or when you read a "young adult" book. Sometimes you just want to be distracted from life and de-stress for a bit. I guess the equivalent to me would be watching football, I literally could not think of anything more boring, but a **** ton of people love it.

It's silly to generalise people based on the shows they enjoy. I enjoy these shows; that does not mean in any way that I idealise the lifestyle portrayed. It does not mean that I am "easily led", and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't think for myself. I also love documentaries. People don't fit into neat little boxes like that, really, and it's not a good idea to try and force them. That sort of attitude only serves to alienate yourself from others, and creates divides where there are none. And that is something we really don't need any more of in this world.

Couldn't agree more. Some people have a very superficial understanding of the world and the people in it.

Quick Reply

Latest