The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joannywhite
Wow that's an amazing score. You should be proud. Well done :smile: How did you revise for AR and what technique did you use for VR?

My cousin sat a Kaplan course a few years ago and gave me her practice booklet.
Apart from that, I just used the 600 UKCAT Practice book.
I didn't do much preparation for the VR, which is clear in my score. I just read through the passage, read the question, and tried to remember as much as possible from what I read, referencing back to the paragraph if I forgot what it said.
Original post by MikeyP96
I did the UKCAT today and I am over the moon after doing so bad in the mocks :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I got:
VR - 590 (meh)
QR - 660 (how did this even happen, I thought I got like 5 questions right)
AR - 660
DA - 860!!!!!!!!!
SJT - Band 3 (meh)
Average - 692.5

WOOHOO!!!

Which medical schools should I be looking at applying now? And which ones should I avoid?

Hey duude I got 690, so we are essentially needing same tips.

Anyone could help? Good unis for 690/692 ?
Original post by GCSE-help
Fantastic score, well done. What type of questions did you skip for qr. Long and/or hard ones?

Yes, I did all the questions in the 600 UKCAT question book. Most of the ones in that book are far longer and much more difficult than the question you should get in the actual exam. In my exam, I got a manageable mix of both very short, one line questions and some longer, more difficult questions. But overall, the questions are relatively easy compared to some of the practice ones out there.
Original post by Sam_1996
How many questions did you guess for each section?

For VR, I guessed about 3.
For QR, I guess 1.
And for AR and DA I didn't guess any, I was confident with all my answers in those 2 sections.
Hey ..could someone who's done the UKCAT and practised using the kaplan book tell me how the mocks in that book compares to each section in the Ukcat ?? :smile:
Did anybody do the Kaplan course? :smile:
Original post by derpart544
My cousin sat a Kaplan course a few years ago and gave me her practice booklet.
Apart from that, I just used the 600 UKCAT Practice book.
I didn't do much preparation for the VR, which is clear in my score. I just read through the passage, read the question, and tried to remember as much as possible from what I read, referencing back to the paragraph if I forgot what it said.

I see. Did you guess some questions in QR?
Original post by MikeyP96
I did the UKCAT today and I am over the moon after doing so bad in the mocks :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I got:
VR - 590 (meh)
QR - 660 (how did this even happen, I thought I got like 5 questions right)
AR - 660
DA - 860!!!!!!!!!
SJT - Band 3 (meh)
Average - 692.5

WOOHOO!!!

Which medical schools should I be looking at applying now? And which ones should I avoid?

Well done on your score :biggrin:
& btw what type of questions did you get on the QR ??
Original post by MrSupernova
VR: 800
QR: 900
AR: 640
DA: 900
SJT: Band 1
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have honestly never felt so ecstatic with an exam result, then again I've never gone into one expecting to fail before! Hoping Thursday goes as well...

Well done on your score :biggrin:
& btw what type of questions did you get on the QR ??
For VR, I guessed about 3.
For QR, I guess 1.
And for AR and DA I didn't guess any, I was confident with all my answers in those 2 sections.

Didnt guess any AR??????? HOOWWW???
I just did the UKCAT today and got:
Verbal Reasoning - 640
Quantitative Reasoning - 840
Abstract Reasoning - 900
Decision Analysis - 900
SJT - Band 2

My total score was 3280 with an average score of 820. I have never been so relieved in my life :biggrin:

wow amazing score !!

If you dont mind me asking, what type of questions did you face in the QR ?? & what is your technique for answering AR and DA.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 3991
Well after posting here yesterday wondering if I should cancel my test I sat my test today and have never been more relieved in my life!

Total: 3040

VR: 670 (Was getting 800+ in my mocks, disappointed with this one to be honest)
QR: 650 (Roughly what I was expecting)
AR: 840 (This section was such a surprise as I was doing so poorly in my mocks!)
DA: 880 (This section went way better than I expected too!)

SJ: Band 2

Avg: 760 :biggrin:

Honestly I'm over the moon. I hadn't gotten above 670 in any of my mocks to date and was so shocked at my average! I know it's a modest score compared to others on here but I'm so happy with it!

Anyone know which Unis favour the UKCAT over GCSE's? I've got 4 A*'s and 6 A's, not bad but not great. I was thinking about Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester and King's. Any suggestions? Thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Urgh...I've just done a short practise test on the kaplan website and got an average of 450 with a band 3 for the SJT.

I've already done a few days practising...I swear my PhD was nowhere near as difficult as the UKCAT is and I don't understand why my brain doesn't want to work the way it needs to to jump the hurdle of the UKCAT, does it mean that I can never study medicine? :s-smilie:

Should I just give up now? :'(
Original post by Joannywhite
I see. Did you guess some questions in QR?

I think I guessed 1 or 2 because I didn't understand the wording of the question. But that was about it :smile:
Original post by RadioheadAnton
Didnt guess any AR??????? HOOWWW???

I had done so much practice that I had seen pretty much every type of question they could ask.
I also got lucky in that I got relatively easy AR questions in my exam.
Original post by ThatScienceGuy
wow amazing score !!

If you dont mind me asking, what type of questions did you face in the QR ?? & what is your technique for answering AR and DA.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Thank you very much :biggrin:
I got quite a few questions about things like ticket prices, and offers and percentage profits. And then a few basic fraction and percentage questions, nothing too difficult.
For AR, I kinda used the Kaplan SCANS method - Shape, Colour, Arrangement, Number and Size - to try and find the relationship.
For DA, I wrote out exactly what the code translated into and read through it a couple of times. I would write down A B C D E and cross out the ones that it definitely couldn't be. This normally eliminated 3 out of the 5, so the final answer really just requires a closer look to see if there are any discrepancies with the remaining possibilities.
Reply 3996
Help please. I don't understand the rule they say on Medify

ukcat.jpg

Rules for Set A: Enlarged mirror image of shape in the vertical plane
Rules for Set B: Enlarged mirror image of shape in the horizontal plane.

I don't understand ... as you can see in Set B.. some of the enlarged are upside down (verticle) and some are on the same or side plane (horizontal)?
Original post by SiMan
Help please. I don't understand the rule they say on Medify

ukcat.jpg

Rules for Set A: Enlarged mirror image of shape in the vertical plane
Rules for Set B: Enlarged mirror image of shape in the horizontal plane.

I don't understand ... as you can see in Set B.. some of the enlarged are upside down (verticle) and some are on the same or side plane (horizontal)?

For set A, if you draw a mirror line vertically down the centre of the square, on one side will be a small version of the shape, and on the other side, a large version of the same shape.
For set B, if you draw a mirror line horizontally through the middle of the square, on the top/bottom will be a small version of the shape, and on the bottom/top, a large version of the same shape.
Hope this has explained it :smile:
Can someone please explain an answer to me because I have read the explanation and still seem to think that the answer that I got makes sense, but according to then600qs book, it is wrong.

It is qs11.5 in the QR section.

Thank you. :smile:
I've taken out a medify subscription and so far I found it the best tool out there.

A question for those who've sat their test, ow do the QR questions on MEdify measure up to the real exam?

Latest

Trending

Trending