The Student Room Group

Please help! On the verge of tears

So, I am trying to revise and it all goes so well for a while until my sister comes in. She is only in year 7 so doesn't have much work to do anyway and just doodles on the back of her books. When I tell my parents that I cannot revise with another person in the room they tell me that
A) it is her room as well so she can do as she pleases
B) they do not care if I fail my exams because of my own lack of concentration
C) I am lying and just want attention
D) I just need to shut up and lump it, basically

What on earth am I to do to make them listen to me? Because there is no way that I will be getting A* in my GCSEs in this way.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please?
Reply 2
Earplugs?
Edit: You left out the important detail that she plays music really loud too :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ask your teachers to talk to your parents? Talk to your sister instead of your parents? I don't know really, sorry if that was no help. Xx best of luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by momomomo123
So, I am trying to revise and it all goes so well for a while until my sister comes in. She is only in year 7 so doesn't have much work to do anyway and just doodles on the back of her books. When I tell my parents that I cannot revise with another person in the room they tell me that

What on earth am I to do to make them listen to me? Because there is no way that I will be getting A* in my GCSEs in this way.

P.S. It is not possible for me to revise in a library or other room because they are not 'comletely silent' either.

If a library's not quiet enough then you may have difficulty revising anywhere :s-smilie:

P.S. It is not possible for me to revise in a library or other room because they are not 'comletely silent' either.

C's a bit harsh, but A, B and D are all very reasonable I think. Get over yourself, you work in class when there are lots of people working around you. If you can't work with a bit of background noise you won't be getting very far in life.
Reply 7
Original post by The Polymath
Oh, the horror! Imagine what it's like for you in exam halls, where a hundred people are doodling around you!
Yep.
Heard of earphones?

If you can't figure out how to revise with someone doodling in the same room as you, you don't deserve to have GCSEs.

It's not the doodling that is the problem. That was just to show that she has no reason to be here; it is the fact that when she is in the room she will put music on really loud. (Should have mentioned that before)
Reply 8

It might be worth asking a teacher to talk to your parents about this; they are in a position of authority in that when it comes to talking about studying and exams, well... they know their ****. And they know that it's important.

If you're not comfortable with that, then maybe ask a teacher if you can stay in their empty classroom to revise for a few hours? Many teachers stay for up to two hours after school, so maybe that's some quiet time that you could grab for yourself.

You have a good attitude towards revision, and hopefully your parents will see that if you do something active about finding the suitable revision space.

Good luck with your exams!
It's not the doodling that is the problem. That was just to show that she has no reason to be here; it is the fact that when she is in the room she will put music on really loud. (Should have mentioned that before)

You don't say.

Well, a near-silent library is a hell of a lot better than a room full of music.
Reply 10
You could talk to your sister and maybe tell her that if she lets you revise in peace for an 1 hour or so, then you will watch TV with her or whatever. Or just get earplugs or using earphones to listen to relaxing music.
It may be hard at first but just try and ignore your sister. You can't go through life being able to get complete peace and quiet whenever you need to work so you may as well get used to it now. Try and relax and not get angry at your sister and parents else that will distract you from your work even more.
Reply 11
Original post by The Polymath
You don't say.

Well, a near-silent library is a hell of a lot better than a room full of music.

Yep. You are right but the library is quite far from my house as well so if I was to go my parents would have to drop me off. This would make them think that I am just being a nuisance.
Reply 12
Original post by Jodie_668
You could talk to your sister and maybe tell her that if she lets you revise in peace for an 1 hour or so, then you will watch TV with her or whatever. Or just get earplugs or using earphones to listen to relaxing music.
It may be hard at first but just try and ignore your sister. You can't go through life being able to get complete peace and quiet whenever you need to work so you may as well get used to it now. Try and relax and not get angry at your sister and parents else that will distract you from your work even more.

It would be nice if she would respond to bribes but I'm afraid it won't work. However, I am going to start trying to ignore her.
Original post by Jodie_668

I like this idea. OP, I also share a room with a little sister so I also often hear your parents' response of "she has the right to be in there too"! You don't have to give up much of your time to your sis, just bribe her a bit. She probably just enjoys being around you; I know my sister does, even though she would NEVER admit that :redface:

I find that music without any vocals really helps me revise. I use electronica but a lot of people use classical, it's up to you really. I've even heard some people listen to white noise!

Some of the responses on here have been a bit harsh tbh, OP is only doing his/her GCSEs so this is probably their first experience of proper revision and it can be very stressful. Especially if you haven't figured out your own personal revision techniques yet!

Edit: just seen your above post about her not really responding to bribes. Are there no other rooms in the house you can use to revise in? They may not be perfect but they'll be better than your own room with your sister's loud music on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm also revising for exams right now (A Levels) and my year 8 brother often irritates me too even though we don't share the same room. Just listen to some music without any lyrics or white noise (it blocks out ALL background noise) - it helped me with my GCSEs.
Reply 15
Push her down the stairs?

Just joking, buy some cheap amazing earplugs like I did ;D
Revise at school?
Go to a library?
Revise at a friends?
Revise in a different part of the house?
Give your sister money to go out and spend it to keep her occupied?
She's your younger sister? Do what is your right as the elder sibling - give her a slap and tell her not to disturb your revision. Playing loud music when someone is trying to work is just rude.

I listen to Rainymood through my earphones to block out noise while i'm revising sometimes.
Reply 18
Go to a friend's house to study? Go to the library? Stay at school after 3?

You could try to talk to your parents but it doesn't sound like they're very responsive, so try the advice above. Failing that, talk to your little sister? You can make sure she's occupied (find something for her to do) so then you can maximize the time that she is busy for study, and maybe work after she's gone to bed for a couple of hours.
Its getting warmer now, perhaps you can study in the park or in your garden where its nice and peaceful. Or go to the library and study and then when you come home you can chill :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending