The Student Room Group

My Progress with 5/3/1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blob2491
I was thinking about trying them out some time, what part of the deadlift do they emphasise?

Pretty much my reasoning! So far I'm enjoying it but I'm only a couple days in :redface:

I'm not 100% but I think they work glutes, hamstrings Moreso than the back however if you have trouble with back rounding there a lot safer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
OHP Day
OHP 25x5/30x5/35x8
OHP 20kgx10x5
This session felt good, everything went up nice and clean. The last few sets of BBB went up just fine too
Dips BWx8/BWx8/BWx12
Rear Delt Fly Did about 3 sets of 10 - I'm trying to balance out pushing exercises with pulling

Today was good, I'm still feeling dat dere pump in my delts and tris. Liking the simplicity of 531 so far
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by UnknownError
I'm not 100% but I think they work glutes, hamstrings Moreso than the back however if you have trouble with back rounding there a lot safer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing these or rack pulls after deadlifts to build up by upper back which seems to round on heavier sets
Reply 23
Squat Day
Back Squat
57.5x5/67.5x5/77.5x12
Front Squat 40x10x5

Just decided to have a quick session today, I definitely felt this one and I will do tomorrow when I get up...can't wait :colone:
Does anyone get out of breath when doing high rep squats or am I just a fat fudge?

This is the first week of cycle 1 complete and I'm really loving it so far! I'm gonna make some slight alterations to deadlift day and I'm thinking of doing pullups/rows or chinups between every set of pushing exercises - does this sound like a good move?
I never get out of breath but my legs always feel on fire.
Reply 25
Original post by AreebWithaHat
I never get out of breath but my legs always feel on fire.

I need to add in some cardio, those 5x10 sets really got my heart rate up
I need to add in some cardio, those 5x10 sets really got my heart rate up

Lol start jogging you fatty :wink: :tongue:
Reply 27
I don't get out of breath but sometimes I count 5x10 as cardio just to make myself feel better :tongue:

Pull for every push is sensible
Reply 28
Lol start jogging you fatty :wink: :tongue:

I'm very curvacious I'll have you know :wink:

Original post by BKS
I don't get out of breath but sometimes I count 5x10 as cardio just to make myself feel better :tongue:

Pull for every push is sensible

Do you find pulling exercises take away strength from your pushing/vice versa?
Reply 29
Do you find pulling exercises take away strength from your pushing/vice versa?

No, they use different muscles (more or less). Even if it did the pull comes second, it's an assistance exercise so if it is somewhat effected it doesn't really matter
Reply 30
Original post by BKS
No, they use different muscles (more or less). Even if it did the pull comes second, it's an assistance exercise so if it is somewhat effected it doesn't really matter

Oh ok cool.
I can definitely feel the soreness today and it feels good :biggrin:
I think pulling affects pushing more than pushing affects pulling but it obviously depends on your routine and adaption. For example, if I do a few sets of pullups then I have experienced loss in pushup ability. The lats/general back are necessary stabilisers when doing pushups or bench-- I've experienced wobbliness and usually get a decent back pump from benching. For pulling exercises, your pushing muscles aren't involved as much. How much chest and deltoids do you feel on deadlifts or pullups? Anyway, I'm speculating but that's my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I think pulling affects pushing more than pushing affects pulling but it obviously depends on your routine and adaption. For example, if I do a few sets of pullups then I have experienced loss in pushup ability. The lats are necessary stabilisers when doing pushups or bench. For pulling exercises, your pushing muscles aren't involved as much. How much chest and deltoids do you feel on deadlifts or pullups? Anyway, I'm speculating but that's my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Inb4 Harrison rapes you for saying stabilisers :tongue:
Inb4 Harrison rapes you for saying stabilisers :tongue:

But I named the stabilisers this time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Cycle 1 Week 2 Wendler 5/3/1
Bench Day
Barbell Bench: 40x3/45x3/52.5x10 (PR)
I was pretty pleased with the last set, I remember when I was doing my own push pull split and getting 50 for 8 was tricky. Seems like strength is going up :wink:
Barbell Bench: 30x10x5
This was a lot easier than last week, surprised myself and got 12 on the last set :biggrin:
Incline DB Press: 18x5/14x8/14x8
Triceps were dead so the lockout was a lot more difficult than I expected so I dropped the weight down from 18s to 14s and it felt much better
Did a burnout set of bench dips and called it a day, today was good :smile:
Reply 35
Deadlift Day
Deadlift: 70x3/80x3/90x8
Quite happy with the deadlifts, really focused on squeezing the shoulder blades and keeping everything tight. Felt goof :smile:
RDL: 20x10x5
Just used the bar for this. I'm gonna try add weight slowly because last time my back fatigued quicker than my hams
Rack Pull: 100x8/x8/x5
Grip was completely gone on the last set. Time to invest in some straps? Traps, rear delts and lats were destroyed after this!
Pendlay Row: 40x8x5

Good work out, my deadlift form is getting tighter
Reply 36
OHP Day
OHP: 27.5x3/32.5x3/35x11
Tried to go for an extra rep on the last set with a push press, my body was shaking like I had hypothermia. Squeezed out the 12th rep though
OHP:20x10x2/20x9/20x8/20x9
Not too sure what happened today with BBB, maybe I need to rest a little longer between sets
Dips: BWx10/BWx8/BWx8
Did some pullups in between, my arms were dead
Lateral Raises: 6kgx?
Lost count of how many I was doing haha, I was concentrating on taking my mind off of the burn :redface:
Did some Rows in between

After OHP I always seem to strain my neck, any ideas why?
Reply 37
After OHP I always seem to strain my neck, any ideas why?

I'd go with you are doing something weird with your neck. Film yourself and check it or if need be post a vid and someone here might be able to help
Reply 38
Original post by BKS
I'd go with you are doing something weird with your neck. Film yourself and check it or if need be post a vid and someone here might be able to help

Okay cool thanks, I'll get someone to check my form
Reply 39
Squat Day
Back Squat: 62.5x3/72.5x3/80x13 (PB)
Today felt really good, I still need to add in some cardio because I'm puffing like I just ran a marathon after high rep squats
Front Squat: 40x10x5
Felt the burn in the last rep
DB RDL: Didnt really count, just repped them out tbh, supersetted these with DB Rows :redface:

Is it alright to hit your back every training day with rows/pullups etc?

Quick Reply

Latest