My Progress with 5/3/1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Squat Day
Back Squat: 72.5x3/85x3/95x6
Front Squat: 40x10x3
Back Squat: 50x8x3
DB Lunges: 16x8x3

I was tired today, been in the gym 3 days straight and that 95 set felt a lot heavier than expected. I tried going for the 7th rep but my body just gave out on me. Had to drop the load for the rest of the workout which kept the session pretty short and concise but I was feeling so drained. I'm thinking of doing a 8 day week, bench, deads, rest, ohp, squat, rest, pendlays, rest, bench etc...or I might just rearrange the current routine and put pendlays last
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Cycle 3 Week 3 Wendler 5/3/1
Bench Day
Barbell Bench: 47.5x5/52.5x3/60x6 PB
Barbell Bench: 35x10x3
Guillotine Press: 30x8x3
Incline DB Press: 16x8x3
Dips: BWx8x2/BWx10

After today my chest was fully erect :colone:. Really pleased with the 1+ set, my previous best was 3 and the last rep that time was basically all from the spotter so I've been making some great strength progress! I had so much energy after the Wendler set as well, pressing seemed really easy for some reason today and that's possibly due to improvements made to my form (complete body tension and contracted glutes etc) or doing rear delt flyes in between pressing sets. I could feel the guillotine press in my chest more so than incline presses so I'll probably use this as my main upper chest exercise in combination with db incline press. Dips also felt pretty good, I was only expecting about 6 or 7 reps on the last set but managed to squeeze out 10. It's amazing how getting into the right mentality can significantly affect your physical strength or maybe it was just all those carbs I ate the night before that gave me energy :biggrin:...either way best sessions yet.
Reply 82
Just out of interest, will doing rear delt flyes the day before Deadlift/pendlay rows hinder my deadlifting/rowing or will it be fine?
Original post by Blob2491
Just out of interest, will doing rear delt flyes the day before Deadlift/pendlay rows hinder my deadlifting/rowing or will it be fine?

I doubt it will make much difference.. Trying it out is your best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aren't you concerned about your shoulders on the guillotine press? It looks pretty nuts. Most injuries are cumulative fyi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by UnknownError
I doubt it will make much difference.. Trying it out is your best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, will do thanks!

Original post by silent ninja
Aren't you concerned about your shoulders on the guillotine press? It looks pretty nuts. Most injuries are cumulative fyi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was concerned about that but I'm going pretty light and it felt fine so I'll just play it by feel until I start feeling aches and pains.
Reply 86
Alright I'm gonna take out the guillotine press and replace it with high incline db press or a fly or something, woke up this morning feeling a dull ache in my delt. Should've known my shoulders wouldn't have liked it!
Will it be safe to OHP on Sunday?
Alright I'm gonna take out the guillotine press and replace it with high incline db press or a fly or something, woke up this morning feeling a dull ache in my delt. Should've known my shoulders wouldn't have liked it!
Will it be safe to OHP on Sunday?

You'll just have to wait till Sunday to see how your shoulder feels :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by AreebWithaHat
You'll just have to wait till Sunday to see how your shoulder feels :smile:

Hope I'll be alright, OHP is becoming my favourite lift! I'll probably just swap around squats and OHP to get an extra rest day
Reply 89
Deadlift Day
Deadlift: 87.5x5/100x3/112.5x6 PB
Rack Pull: 100x12/100x10x2
Pendlay Row : 47.5x5/52.5x3/60x8 PB
BB Row: 50x8x2/50x12
Lat Pulldown ?

Quite happy with the deadlifts, this session wasn't as draining as expected probably because I kept rest intervals reasonably long so I was in for a little longer than I planned but I got everything done so it's cool. I was pretty surprised I still had explosive energy for the pendlay rows and they went up a lot quicker than I expected, maybe my CNS was already primed from doing deadlifts? The lat pulldown machine was free so I just went in and did whatever I could with whatever weight. Back is getting big.
Reply 90
I've always been pretty skinny but it never bothered me until I reached around 17. I used to weigh around 40kg and I thought I was pretty healthy for my height and build considering doctors never said anything. I didn't actively go out to either gain nor lose weight, I just didn't eat I didn't feel the urge to so I always remained skinny.
When I was on youtube one day I saw a video in my recommended list, it was a video of the hodge twins and they explained why they wanted to get in shape ie. helps to go balls deep. My initial motivation to get in shape was for the same reason so I decided to get a gym membership. I remember the first time going and having no clue what to do or where to go or even what a set was. I was overloaded with all these new terms, tut, supersets, dropsets, sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy etc that I didn't know what to do so I just took the hodge twins' advice and followed their workout schemes combined with starting strength except I wasnt truly doing SS...I tailored it to my own needs. My first routine was a 5 day bro split:
Mon - chest and tri
Tues - back and bis
Wed - chest and shoulders
Thurs - legs
Fri - arms
Initially I made some great strength gains and I started gaining weight myself. After a while I quickly reached a plateau so I thought I wasn't working hard enough so my sets for mon went from about 12 to double that, my leg day which included 5 sets of dumbbell squats and that was it went up to 25 sets of the same exercise and so on...Again I didn't make any progress. I decided to read around and find a routine where I could build both strength and size. After a while I found FrankieNY's 5x5. This is where I made a lot of progress. Front squat went from 50x5 to 85x5, deadlifts from 30x5 to 90x5, DB Incline 14x5 to 26x5.
Using the DB in low rep ranges as a newb is what lead to my downfall. One workout I was feeling particularly ambitious and felt like I could've pushed for that extra 6th rep and I kept grinding for about a good 10 seconds and that's when everything went haywire. My left arm just gave out on me and I couldn't even raise it above my head. I tried again the following week and I couldn't even warm up. I lost all motivation and quit the gym all together.
I started watching Elliott Hulse's and Omar's videos a couple of months later. I then remade my own workout into a hybrid Push/pull routine...pretty much all of the exercises where 5x3 or 6x1...you can see where I'm going with this. After a while I burnt out, was feeling lethargic and tired all the time so I decided to finally start a true routine that had much praise, 5/3/1. This is where I've made the most consistent progress from week to week but now I can't help but think that I could probably follow a routine with more aggressive linear progression. I'm gonna start Madcows 5x5 and milk it for what I can and then move back onto Wendler because I enjoyed it so much. I hope you guys still read this progression and best of luck for your own transformation.

TLDR;
goes from skinny to making gains
makes gains and then loses gains
loses some more gains and basically wastes a year
on a program

This is what I looked like a couple of months before joining the gym
2.jpg
3.jpg
SAM_0382.JPG

And here I am now at 66.6kg
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Angles are bit meh but it shows what was intended. looks like I'm becoming a fat bastard as well
You don't look that fat, I would just carry on with a slow bulk, don't go overboard and fat gains will be minimal. Also well done on the transformation, it's a huge difference and the consistency and effort has obviously paid off.

You want something with aggressive linear progression? Why not do a modified SS/SL and milk that? You did say you made the most progress on your 5x5 routine, and both 5/3/1 and madcows are for intermediates. Once you start stalling on your lifts then you can switch to an intermediate routine.
Reply 93
You don't look that fat, I would just carry on with a slow bulk, don't go overboard and fat gains will be minimal. Also well done on the transformation, it's a huge difference and the consistency and effort has obviously paid off.

You want something with aggressive linear progression? Why not do a modified SS/SL and milk that? You did say you made the most progress on your 5x5 routine, and both 5/3/1 and madcows are for intermediates. Once you start stalling on your lifts then you can switch to an intermediate routine.

I've had a look at them all but I'll reevaluate my decision before I start. Right now I'm just taking it easy.
Reply 94

'

If you’ve lifted before, take your previous 5 rep maxes, and halve them. Start here. You will soon make your way back up to your earlier numbers, and smash through them. If you start too high then you will stall very quickly and make very little progress, so leave your ego at the door!'

This leaves me at for SL5x5:
row - 30
bench - 30
squat - 50
deadlift - 60
OHP - 20

A little extreme? :confused:
'

If you’ve lifted before, take your previous 5 rep maxes, and halve them. Start here. You will soon make your way back up to your earlier numbers, and smash through them. If you start too high then you will stall very quickly and make very little progress, so leave your ego at the door!'

This leaves me at for SL5x5:
row - 30
bench - 30
squat - 50
deadlift - 60
OHP - 20

A little extreme? :confused:

I would say so. Perhaps go for 75% of your 5rm. I think by 'if you've lifted before' he might mean if you lifted a while back and took a break.
Reply 96
I would say so. Perhaps go for 75% of your 5rm. I think by 'if you've lifted before' he might mean if you lifted a while back and took a break.

All right, I'll probably start tomorrow because I have training ADHD :biggrin:
All right, I'll probably start tomorrow because I have training ADHD :biggrin:

remember to add in some extra back work and arm work to prevent any imbalances :smile:
Reply 98
remember to add in some extra back work and arm work to prevent any imbalances :smile:

3x8 dips and pull ups on bench days and curls and chin ups on days with deadlifts?
3x8 dips and pull ups on bench days and curls and chin ups on days with deadlifts?

That sounds good. Will you be doing some rows on one day as well?

Quick Reply

Latest