The Student Room Group

What food to eat during a exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nikkoch
Seems a little trivial question to ask, but I have a 2hr paper and am not quite sure what, if at all, to eat?

Don't suppose there are any food nutritionists or experts on the matter here?

:biggrin:

Some people I know take dextrose tablets in, apparently helps them get through long exams. I personally just focus on the exam rather than eating.

Don't suppose you're doing IB Maths HL then today?
Reply 41
Original post by nikkoch
Seems a little trivial question to ask, but I have a 2hr paper and am not quite sure what, if at all, to eat?

Don't suppose there are any food nutritionists or experts on the matter here?

:biggrin:

During as in whilst you are actually in the middle of the exam? Are you allowed to eat these days then? When I was doing my exams (a fair while ago) we were only allowed water in a clear bottle.
If you mean breakfast before the exam I recommend having eggs with bakes beans and tomatoes. Plenty of nutrition which should give you plenty of energy.
Reply 42
You know, the majority of people doing a marathon run for 3-4 hours without feeling the need to eat. I am sure you can last 2 hours sitting down without shoving food down your pie hole.
I wouldn't recommend eating. Water definitely, but unless you have a medical condition food can only be a distraction.

However, from experience of lots of three hour exams;
- Don't eat sugary foods just before, or you will get an energy slump half way through.
- Don't be full during the exam - humans are programmed to think more sharply when they are slightly hungry (apparently).
- Drink lots of water.

If you do choose to eat (and I can see it might sometimes have benefits), nuts are a good snack. Again, I don't recommend sugar, or anythink more substantial than trail mix. :smile:
Reply 44
What? I've never heard of schools letting people eat during exams :lolwut:

I wouldn't eat during the exam, it's a waste of time. But I remember having to wait for aaaaages at the end of some GCSE exams, since you can't walk out, so it might be nice to have a little snack ready to pass the time!

The only thing I have in my exams is mint gum - it really helps me concentrate :dontknow: Apart from that, just focus on the exam. Have a good dinner the night before and a nutritious breakfast in the morning.
Original post by Mark85
You know, the majority of people doing a marathon run for 3-4 hours without feeling the need to eat. I am sure you can last 2 hours sitting down without shoving food down your pie hole.

Oddly, some large percentage of people seemingly cannot last the 2 hour duration of a movie shown at the cinema. And they always then complain at how the food is scandalously overpriced.
A picnic.
I tend to take in a flapjack, it's the only time I let myself eat them on my diet :smile:
Although, I've not eaten more than half of one per 2 hour exam so far.
Chocolate Laxatives

And empty the room out
Reply 49
aromatic Curry and a glass of wheatgrass
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LeonVII
Pretty sure you cant eat anything during the exam.

who told you that?
You get food?! We got shouted at if they thought we had flavoured water instead of normal water :rolleyes: But some nuts might be good, like cashews or something. Honey supposed helps you think, bananas would be good, if you like those.
Reply 52
You're allowed to eat in exams these days?

Rage :unimpressed:
Reply 53
Original post by minimarshmallow
I tend to take in a flapjack, it's the only time I let myself eat them on my diet :smile:
Although, I've not eaten more than half of one per 2 hour exam so far.

If i do i'll try to find some which aren't triangles!! :biggrin:
Doner kebab plastered in chilli sauce & mayo, with some fries on the side.
Reply 55
Popcorn? Nuts? might need a nutcracker at the same time.

And for anyone who is asking whether food is allowed, it is but there may be no labels at all and there is a high chance it will be checked for cheat sheets. Also many moderators don't know about this and will flat out disallow food. Though I like to have some boiled sweets just to suck on so I would take a copy of the rules to each exam if they tried to stop me from having them and point it out.

It's the same for if you finish early or you just think you've failed and can't be bothered to hang around. After 45mins (maybe an hour) you are allowed to leave the exam whether it is finished or not yet still some invigilators won't allow that and it is annoying when you finish early or you just realise you have completely failed and you have to sit there for 2 hours reminding yourself how ****ed you are.
Take Alphabet Waffles and make words with them before the exam to help you remember stuff.
No but why would you want to eat in an exam? Unless your a really fast writer and eating doubles your speed of writing.
Original post by nikkoch
If i do i'll try to find some which aren't triangles!! :biggrin:

They do some snack size ones for £1 in Co-op shops, they're part of the meal deal but I get mine from the Spar on campus, and they're 50p each and about twice the size from RJ foods, but I don't know if they do them in all Spar shops as I've not looked.
Reply 58
Original post by nikkoch
Your'e definetly allowed food, even though i think they make sure that you can't hide any cheat-sheets and stuff inside

Enjoy getting taken out of the exam for eating.
Original post by cleveradam
No but why would you want to eat in an exam? Unless your a really fast writer and eating doubles your speed of writing.

I tend to do it in 2 hour exams at the start while I'm thinking before I write (I always take 5-10 minutes) and when I answer two questions and eat while I'm reading over the answer to the first one at halfway through when my hands are mostly free. And then towards the end when I'm reading the second one before I give both a final read over.

Quick Reply

Latest