The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Are “showrooms” the same as “superior”?

I’m making my accommodation selections and would like a superior ensuite, but the drop down menus offer only “showroom” or basic”, not superior. Are showroom and superior two terms for the same? I haven’t seen the term “showroom” anywhere in Lancaster’s accommodation descriptions.
Original post by Devonpup
I’m making my accommodation selections and would like a superior ensuite, but the drop down menus offer only “showroom” or basic”, not superior. Are showroom and superior two terms for the same? I haven’t seen the term “showroom” anywhere in Lancaster’s accommodation descriptions.

Hi @Devonpup

Your question was passed on to the accommodation team. The rooms are no longer advertised as 'basic' or 'superior', these are old terms. Now, the only difference you will see between them on the portal is their price, so a 'superior' room will be the most expensive en-suite room you can select on the portal. You can read more about en-suite rooms here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/bedrooms-with-ensuite-bathrooms

If you click 'more info' you will be able to read a description of what a 'showroom' is:
"By opting for a Show Flat, your flat and/or room will be shown to groups of visitors during pre-arranged dates and times, from October to the end of April.

For those students that would like to showcase their rooms during these events, you will receive the Eat card credit as above but can also apply to be an Accommodation Ambassador via the University’s Employment & Recruitment Service. You will complete timesheets and be paid monthly for your time worked. We will let students in show flats know when the roles are advertised and open for applications.

If not showing your room we will provide you with credit on an Eat card. You can spend this credit in most of our University-run catering outlets on food and soft drinks, ultimately saving you money on your weekly food shop."

I lived in a showroom 'superior' ensuite in my first year in 2018. The system might have changed slightly since then but worked well for us. We were given free food credit to spend in the university owned outlets, which was a decent incentive. It meant that we had to clean up the communal spaces for a viewing and 1 or 2 bedrooms that were on show. It was quite good though as it made us keep on top of the cleaning. The viewings themselves were not too invasive, we had groups come round the flat for a few minutes every few weeks. I'd say my experience was quite positive and I'd recommend it as I thought that the incentive was worth the hassle but you will have to make up your own mind on that.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending