The Student Room Group

Is cannibalism "immoral"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by wilson_smith
We should distinguish...

This post is a month old, I'm not going to go back through six pages so as to continue the debate. Let's all agree to disagree.
Original post by Zorgotron
If we accept the principle - What two consenting people do with each other without harming any third parties is their business and should be tolerated in a free society as it is victimless - I would say that yes, it is moral.

People like you do not understand externalities. Everyone effects everyone. Take group A, this group is small and is permitted to live the way they do. Group A grows in number to an extent to demand recognition and so and so forth thus gain acceptance in society. Group A then influences the culture of the said society, its value systems and its teachings. So my children are effected by a potentially non beneficial culture and so am I. I do not want this so I will oppose group A from being permitted. Now there is a very fine balance to strike between being oppressive and falling in to a trap of your own making and being too freely accepting and falling in to another. But in this case it is clear people eating others is too overt.

In essence saying "they can do whatever they like" is like giving me permission to open a smelter next to you and directing the smoke to your house. Hey it was my decision to open the smelter, and if you don't like the smoke, don't breath!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending