The Student Room Group

I'm gaining it back and spiraling out of control :(

(edited 3 years ago)
You need to sort out your psychological issues and stop using food as a vice. Until you can do this you won't be able to lose weight in the long term. Have you sought out advice from an eating disorder service or something from your uni?
Reply 2
Use myfitnesspal to track your calories and stick to the calories required for what you want. So if you want to lose weight stick to them calories. It may seem hard at first but you'll get used to tracking! Then regular exercise and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by HopefulMidwife
I do use MFP and have been since the beginning. I did say I know how to lose weight, it's me struggling that's the problem. Did you read the whole thing or skip right to the 'reply' part? Should I put a TL;DR?

Sorry I skimmed over then went straight to reply... My bad.

You could add a TL;DR aswell.

Ok so would you say your not motivated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check out this video by Elliot Hulse (thanks to silent ninja for the link :wink: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_FFIFhG6to

But the basic idea is our motivation changes every year, every month, every day and every minute. Don't wait to be motivated to make a change, because that time may never come. You know what needs to be done if you want long-term happiness with yourself, so do it. Even if you don't want to. Get back into the habit and then just stick to it, not just when you feel pumped to lose weight and you don't havs much going on in your life but every day. Do what needs to be done.

For example, this morning I woke up at 5am for some sprints, I wasn't motivated to do them and I was very tired, but I knew if I want to lose weight, get stronger and faster in the future, then this had to be done whether I like it or not.

Next, think about how it feels where you are at the moment. You are giving in to your short-term desires of eating food for comfort, but this isn't making you happy in the long run. Whenever you feel like comfort eating again, remember how disgusting and stuffed you feel after you've done it, try and keep this in mind. Also, remember how good it felt when you were slim again. You felt attractive and on top of the world right? Keep these feelings in mind for the future. Also, from a neutral male point of view, you look really hot when you were slim it would be a shame to give up on that.

Finally, you really need to address your depression. I bet this is one of the biggest reasons for your failure. That constant cycle of getting angry/upset/bored, eating loads, feel disgusting after, then eating loads to combat these feelings. Find another outlet for your emotions. Try some counselling or meditation, go for walks, listen to music, find time for yourself where you can completely relax and do nothing. Now you said you didn't exercise before, but I think exercise is vital (not to lose weight) but for the mental side of dieting. It makes you feel powerful, good about yourself and really lets you take your emotions out of yourself. The important thing is find something you enjoy so it doesn't seem like punishment. This could be jogging, martial arts, walking or even lifting. I don't agree with anti-depression medication because it doesn't address the issue imo and just hides it.

Sorry for the essay, but I've been through exactly what you describe before. It was actually comforting on my part as well to know others have been through this. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or pm me.

Hope this helps and hope it turns out well for you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Check out this video by Elliot Hulse (thanks to silent ninja for the link :wink: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_FFIFhG6to

But the basic idea is our motivation changes every year, every month, every day and every minute. Don't wait to be motivated to make a change, because that time may never come. You know what needs to be done if you want long-term happiness with yourself, so do it. Even if you don't want to. Get back into the habit and then just stick to it, not just when you feel pumped to lose weight and you don't havs much going on in your life but every day. Do what needs to be done.

For example, this morning I woke up at 5am for some sprints, I wasn't motivated to do them and I was very tired, but I knew if I want to lose weight, get stronger and faster in the future, then this had to be done whether I like it or not.

Next, think about how it feels where you are at the moment. You are giving in to your short-term desires of eating food for comfort, but this isn't making you happy in the long run. Whenever you feel like comfort eating again, remember how disgusting and stuffed you feel after you've done it, try and keep this in mind. Also, remember how good it felt when you were slim again. You felt attractive and on top of the world right? Keep these feelings in mind for the future. Also, from a neutral male point of view, you look really hot when you were slim it would be a shame to give up on that.

Finally, you really need to address your depression. I bet this is one of the biggest reasons for your failure. That constant cycle of getting angry/upset/bored, eating loads, feel disgusting after, then eating loads to combat these feelings. Find another outlet for your emotions. Try some counselling or meditation, go for walks, listen to music, find time for yourself where you can completely relax and do nothing. Now you said you didn't exercise before, but I think exercise is vital (not to lose weight) but for the mental side of dieting. It makes you feel powerful, good about yourself and really lets you take your emotions out of yourself. The important thing is find something you enjoy so it doesn't seem like punishment. This could be jogging, martial arts, walking or even lifting. I don't agree with anti-depression medication because it doesn't address the issue imo and just hides it.

Sorry for the essay, but I've been through exactly what you describe before. It was actually comforting on my part as well to know others have been through this. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or pm me.

Hope this helps and hope it turns out well for you :smile:

Elliot Hulse >>> Life
Original post by zKlown
Elliot Hulse >>> Life

When I grow up, I want to be an Elliot Hulse.
Right I know you said "spare me" but the truth of the matter is, if you just increased the amount you exercised you wouldn't be in this dilema. Dieting or cutting carlories is great for losing weight but it isn't as you can clearly see sustainable both physically and mentally. You will seriously drive youself insane trying to fight hunger and food urges. Plus food is one of lifes little pleasures, you cannot spend the rest of it denying yourself pleasure. If you just exercised to burn calories and worried less about what you eat you'd be fine. I know it's not what you want to hear and but it's the truth.

Btw I struggled through my teens with fat doing the smae thing, dieting losing weight the breaking down and eating, but I didn't bother exercising. Eventually I came to the realisation that this way wasn't working and I started rowing, joined a gym to lift, now I eat more than I ever have but I'm the leanest I've ever been. I have a healthy realtionship with food because I eat enough to be satisfied and I don't worry when I want to treat myself, and I burn the calories doing something I love. It's win win.
(edited 10 years ago)
I am in the same position. Though I haven't really put any weight back on, it's just kind of come to a standstill. I lost 21lbs and still have another 14 to go but haven't made any progress this month. There's been birthdays and things which means going out for meals, random take aways etc. I usually have a good amount of willpower but lately not so much. Though since yesterday I have been strict with myself and getting back onto it. Weight loss is difficult and maintaining it is even harder.

You've done so well to lose 42lbs and you can do it again. It's all about staying focused and maintaining that willpower to resist fatty foods. If you've had a bad day when you've been binge eating, then just remember that there's always tomorrow. Carry on as you are that day and then just start again the next morning afresh with a healthy breakfast. I think once you've had a few bad days you'll go back down that spiral of eating unhealthily so just remember because you've slipped up once doesn't mean it's all over.

I find that looking at progress pictures helps to motivate me and keep me on track. If I feel hungry and want a snack, I just think do I really need that snack? if I do, in my mind, then I go for something healthier. For me it is usually a yogurt or a banana. It's easy when you're stressed/depressed to reach for the fridge or the cupboard and comfort eat. In this instance, when you do your grocery shopping, try to ensure you don't buy anything unhealthy - then if it's not there when you're home, you can't eat it. Stock up on fruit, yogurts, dried fruit for those times when you need a snack. The Cadbury Options 40kcal hot chocolate sachets are good too for when you need a chocolate boost!
It always helps to have a dieting buddy as well or to make your friends/family aware that you're eating healthily so that they don't tempt you with junk food.
Get back into your cooking and go through your old recipes; remember that they helped you to lose weight. Always keep your diet varied as well so you don't get bored.

I know you don't want advice but I know how hard it is to keep going so I wanted to share how I overcome it.

I've had an awful month this month but I am now more determined than ever to get back on it.
I've also come to the realisation that not only does junk food make you feel podgy, full and bloated, it also makes you feel greasy and tired. Sometimes it's not about weight but about health as well. I want to feel healthy and junk food just doesn't do anything for that.

Good luck, hope my little ramble helps somewhat....

:smile:
Reply 9
Try writing a food diary. I used to do slimming world and found this a brilliant way to lose weight. Writing down a day of healthy food felt so good. And when writing bad stuff down, you kinda think "was it worth it?" and end up not eating rubbish as much if you do it long term, exactly the way they say to. Eg, going to the meetings weekly, only weighing once a week
AreebWithaHat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwCdjccRjM&t=1m15s

Wut?!?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP, it's probably best to take a moment to write down your goals and what you hope to achieve. Then write down how you'll go about achieving that and what you'll do if you slip up. Could be done in a list or mind map sort of fashion.

So basically, in situation X, I will do action Y to achieve sub goal Z.

Then stick it up on walls, keep it on your home screen. Just a daily reminder that is in your face.
Original post by cowsforsale

Wut?!?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP, it's probably best to take a moment to write down your goals and what you hope to achieve. Then write down how you'll go about achieving that and what you'll do if you slip up. Could be done in a list or mind map sort of fashion.

Then stick it up on walls, keep it on your home screen. Just a daily reminder that is in your face.

lmao, never seen that before. but tbf it's pretty typical of Elliot and his bioenergy stuff.
Reply 12
Original post by cowsforsale

Wut?!?!

That's just made Elliot even better

What a guy! Does whatever the **** he wants to do

Quick Reply

Latest