The Student Room Group

How To Stop This

Hey everyone!

For context:
I have a guy friend (and it is just friends) however I like him a tad more but I have no issue staying as friends and I respect that. But where I like him that tiny bit more, when he doesn’t respond or be active for a while, my mind spirals and I always think the worst has happened. For example- Tonight he hasn’t been online for 4hrs which isn’t unusual for him to some extent, however I still panic and wonder when it’s okay to start worrying and I know I’m over thinking , but everytime I can’t help but panic about him. Any tips on how to stop this?

Thanks 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey everyone!

For context:
I have a guy friend (and it is just friends) however I like him a tad more but I have no issue staying as friends and I respect that. But where I like him that tiny bit more, when he doesn’t respond or be active for a while, my mind spirals and I always think the worst has happened. For example- Tonight he hasn’t been online for 4hrs which isn’t unusual for him to some extent, however I still panic and wonder when it’s okay to start worrying and I know I’m over thinking , but everytime I can’t help but panic about him. Any tips on how to stop this?

Thanks 🙂

Those who like you back will put in the effort to do so. Please, don't panic about someone who is offline for 4 hours. People have their own lives to attend to. Not everyone is on their phone 24/7. Sorry.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey everyone!

For context:

Thanks 🙂

Have a reality check.

It's natural to worry about people, especially when it's someone you care about... but it's all in your head.

Yeah, I know how it works... cause he hasn't replied to that text you sent a few hours ago, your mind goes into overdrive, thinking all sorts of terrible things (e.g. he got hit by a bus, he's been struck down with a serious illness. he's been abducted by aliens etc.), when in reality, it's just something simple like his phone was out of credit, he had a important assignment to work on, or a minor friend / family crisis happened that he needed to deal with.

Next time your mind starts racing, stop... take a deep breath... and think about it rationally. If something terrible had happened to him, chances are you'd hear about it on a news report, or over social media or something; if your concerns were legitimate, at least one other person would share those concerns and would have contacted you, no?

It takes a bit of practice, but you can train yourself to control your mind when it starts racing around with all those irrational thoughts.
Reply 3
Imagine he's dead. And he's always dead. All the time, when you're not with him.

Nothing can be worse than being dead, can it?

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending