The Student Room Group

Differentiating trig equations

Hi, can anyone help me with the two questions circled?
In the box is the answer that I'm getting - which is wrong, so can anyone briefly lead me through what the correct method to solving it would be? Thanks! :smile:heeeelp.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by clarewithnoi
In the box is the answer that I'm getting - which is wrong, so can anyone briefly lead me through what the correct method to solving it would be? Thanks! :smile:heeeelp.jpg

xSec2xSec2x2xSec^2x \not= Sec^2x^2
Reply 2

I cannot even begin to imagine what your thinking was on the cosxx\dfrac{\cos x}{x}

For the first box, use the quotient rule, 2nd the product rule.
y = cos(x)/x

Quotient rule:

y = (x)(-sin(x)) - cos(x) / x^2
Reply 5
d(xtanx)dx=d(x)dxtanx+xd(tanx)dx=tanx+xsec2x\frac{d(x \tan x)}{dx} = \frac{d (x)}{dx} \tan x + x \frac{d(\tan x)}{dx}= \tan x + x \sec ^2 x
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
I cannot even begin to imagine what your thinking was on the cosxx\dfrac{\cos x}{x}

I did the exact same haha but tried to take 'x' out as a common factor, thanks so much for the help - I missed this whole topic so I'd been trailing my hair out over it this morning. Just re-did them and now have the correct answer. Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BabyMaths
d(xtanx)dx=d(x)dxtanx+xd(tanx)dx=tanx+xsec2x\frac{d(x \tan x)}{dx} = \frac{d (x)}{dx} \tan x + x \frac{d(\tan x)}{dx}= \tan x + x \sec ^2 x

Thank you! I made a slopping mistake and it set off my whole thinking, this was very helpful. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by L'Evil Fish
y = cos(x)/x

Quotient rule:

y = (x)(-sin(x)) - cos(x) / x^2

Thanks for the help, I got it now! :smile:
Thanks for the help, I got it now! :smile:

Np:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest