The Student Room Group

Anti-Government Protests in Turkey increasing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22744728

Many Turks clearly dont like the government's conservative policies based on Islam, alcohol curfews and bans are just one of the policies i can think of.

Is this an offshoot from the Arab Spring? The protestors were screaming 'Dictatorship'!, Will this effect Turkey's role in the Syrian conflict?

Is Turkey the next revolting state? Unlikely in my opinion, however it should be kept an eye on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, this is just a general potest; nothing serious... Also they can't be an offshoot of the Arab Spring as they are from the Turkic peoples not the Arab peoples.
Reply 2
Could't see Turkey revolting. I mean it is a democracy they tend to be more resilient to this sort of thing
Reply 3
http://imgur.com/a/wOrZR#1

Havent flicked through all these photos, but it was on the frontpage of reddit.

Ive also seen a Turkish Policeman shoot dead a man with a chair, then walking around like some kind of king.

If someone comes at you with a CHAIR, you dont shoot them dead. a knife or gun maybe its justified, a Chair? Just no.
Original post by Apocrypha

If someone comes at you with a CHAIR, you dont shoot them dead. a knife or gun maybe its justified, a Chair? Just no.

Are you suggesting the policeman should have accepted being beaten with a chair by an aggressive protester?

Fact of the matter is run at someone who has gun with a weapon and you are gonna get dropped. No sympathy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Are you suggesting the policeman should have accepted being beaten with a chair by an aggressive protester?

Fact of the matter is run at someone who has gun with a weapon and you are gonna get dropped. No sympathy.

I second the motion.
Reply 6

No, i wouldve condoned the officer to use a baton to defend himself, or the help of the surrounding officers (which there were), to hastily disarm and arrest the offender.

Turns out the police shooting was last year, however there was also a police officer holding pepper spray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onblDPhankk
I find it ironic how the protesters are trying to demonstrate how nice they are by a (probably staged) picture of a protester wiping tear gas out of a dog's eyes.

If Turkey is genuinely full of such nice people then why are stray dogs absolutely endemic on the streets of Turkey in the first place?

Turkey has possibly the most stray dogs anywhere in the world. That in itself suggests Turkey is a selfish and mean spirited country.
Reply 8
Saw this going around on tumblr:

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I most certainly hope that the Government of Turkey manage to hold out, although personally I don't agree with park redevelopment plans (although I'm not Turkish). I support greater use of riot control in countries; it's not like they have gone into live rounds yet - it's the only way to counter a violent crowd. Turkey is the only relatively stable nation in the region and it actually is democratic! Even we in Britain have a government that the people don't like, it's only natural for people to dislike their goverments, however I would not like them to enter revolution.
Reply 10
Original post by Ornlu
I most certainly hope that the Government of Turkey manage to hold out, although personally I don't agree with park redevelopment plans (although I'm not Turkish). I support greater use of riot control in countries; it's not like they have gone into live rounds yet - it's the only way to counter a violent crowd. Turkey is the only relatively stable nation in the region and it actually is democratic! Even we in Britain have a government that the people don't like, it's only natural for people to dislike their goverments, however I would not like them to enter revolution.

So you think that just because they aren't using like rounds yet it's acceptable? People are still dying and being seriously injured by the forces they're using
Reply 11
Original post by elldoig
So you think that just because they aren't using like rounds yet it's acceptable? People are still dying and being seriously injured by the forces they're using

People are bound to be killed, people are bound to be injured, damage is bound to be done; it's all about maintaining order. In my opinion, I support the people's cause; however the best thing they can do now is stop the protests, see what the Government does and then protest again if they need to. If they continue to protest about things then it will be self perpetuating: people protest, people get killed, people protest more, more people killed etc.
I find it ironic how the protesters are trying to demonstrate how nice they are by a (probably staged) picture of a protester wiping tear gas out of a dog's eyes.

If Turkey is genuinely full of such nice people then why are stray dogs absolutely endemic on the streets of Turkey in the first place?

Turkey has possibly the most stray dogs anywhere in the world. That in itself suggests Turkey is a selfish and mean spirited country.

Wow, this has p*ssed me off.

Firstly, what the HELL do stray dogs have to do with anything?!

So your "suggesting" that everyone is Turkey is selfish and mean-spirited. What a stupid unjustified statement. Don't act like you know everything about Turkey, or the people living there.

It's a FREE spirited country. They had the guts to turn secular in the first place despite being constantly criticised by Islamic countries even today.

All this post suggests to me is that you are pathetic.
Reply 13
Yet people still want this Islamic basket case joining the EU... :facepalm2:
Reply 14
Original post by Barksy
Yet people still want this Islamic basket case joining the EU... :facepalm2:

And how are these riots at all sectarian? Last time I recalled it was about the removal of a popular Ottoman park. Sit. Down. :cool:
Reply 15
Original post by Ornlu
People are bound to be killed, people are bound to be injured, damage is bound to be done; it's all about maintaining order. In my opinion, I support the people's cause; however the best thing they can do now is stop the protests, see what the Government does and then protest again if they need to. If they continue to protest about things then it will be self perpetuating: people protest, people get killed, people protest more, more people killed etc.

You clearly don't know much aboutErdoğan and his government if you think he would actually change his stance. He will not. He has said as such. There have been dozens protests in the past over decisions he has made in his 10 year reign, and to date not a single one has convinced him to change his mind. It's not really a democracy at all, it's an elected dictatorship. He may have popular support (or not, there have been accusations of rigging and that there was supposedly a 150% turnout rate in the last general election) but that does not mean he can do whatever he likes once he is in power, and I think the actions of the police so far has shown just how much of a 'free' state they really are.
These protests are really not that different to the EDL. The EDL opposes the constant favouritsm shown to Islam by the media and the fact that no media outlet in the UK will honestly critique Islam or directly challenge its teachings.

I am glad that the Turks have finally decided to stand up to Islam, because in doing so the EDL gets a boost as well.
Reply 17
These protests are really not that different to the EDL. The EDL opposes the constant favouritsm shown to Islam by the media and the fact that no media outlet in the UK will honestly critique Islam or directly challenge its teachings.

I am glad that the Turks have finally decided to stand up to Islam, because in doing so the EDL gets a boost as well.

It's racist if Englishmen do the same thing... apparently.
Reply 18

Rather, they're not standing up to islam.

This is like the Arab spring. But hey ho anything to try to make your heretic for islamofacism seem like a nobel stance.
Reply 19
After years of condemning Bashar Al-Assad for not stepping down when his country goes against him.

Erdogan is now following Assad's footsteps and blaming 'extremists' for the protests, and is refusing to stand down.

What a muppet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending