The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE History B Unit 2: Twentieth Century Depth Studies - 10th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MikeGr
Guys I'm really worried about this exam! I'm not as prepared as I was for the January exam and its scaring me! I got 100% on the January paper, what is the minimum mark I need to get for an A*?

Also, do you guys have any predictions as to what questions may come up?

There's a spreadsheet thingy on the first page which you come input your UMS marks from the Jan exam and your raw coursework grade to generate minimun marks you would need to achieve a certain grade

I don't know what topics you've studied but mainly the aspects of each topic which have alot to talk about are normally asked/can be linked in to the 10 and 12 mark questions
Reply 61
Could anyone tell me how long to spend on each question?
Reply 62
Original post by EvasiveRose
There's a spreadsheet thingy on the first page which you come input your UMS marks from the Jan exam and your raw coursework grade to generate minimun marks you would need to achieve a certain grade

I don't know what topics you've studied but mainly the aspects of each topic which have alot to talk about are normally asked/can be linked in to the 10 and 12 mark questions

Original post by MikeGr
Could anyone tell me how long to spend on each question?

Just a rough guide to timings (it depends on the speed of your writting and if you like to blab like me :smile: )

Section A
4 mark question: 5 minutes
6 mark question: 10 minutes
10 mark question: 20 minutes

Section B
8 mark question: 15 minutes
*I'd try and spare a few minutes at the start to really read and understand both the questions and sources
Plus there's 9 marks for SPAG. So try and leave 5 minutes at the end to check it on both your 10 mark and 12 mark questions
Reply 64
Original post by samelcock
Heres a handy tool i made for finding out what mark you need in the exam to get what grade you want,

http://sdrv.ms/19BW65l

Could you help me please. I got 39 raw mark for controlled assessment and 45 raw mark for unit 1. How many do I need to get in unit 2 A* overall
Reply 65
How do you guys know your UMS marks for unit 1?
Original post by bbadonde2
Give me your marks and I can work it out

Unit 1: 77 marks
CA: Can't remember exactly, somewhere between 37-40 so lets just say its 38 marks.
Reply 67
Original post by LazyBazooka
Unit 1: 77 marks
CA: Can't remember exactly, somewhere between 37-40 so lets just say its 38 marks.

46/60 for A* and 30/60 for A, give or take a few marks.
What topics are most people doing?
I think that depending on what topics you do there should be different grade boundaries or everyone should just have to do the same topics to make it fair as some topics are much harder than others?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
How do you answer a 10 marker? Is it show the source usefulness and limitations through own knowledge, then say how its provenance effects its usefulness?
Reply 70
Original post by cookiesncream123
What topics are most people doing?
I think that depending on what topics you do there should be different grade boundaries or everyone should just have to do the same topics to make it fair as some topics are much harder than others?!

Yes but the idea is that teachers get that and pick the easier topics. None of the topics are excessively hard than another, the content has been specifically chosen to make each topic of equal difficulty.
Reply 71
Original post by EvasiveRose
Just a rough guide to timings (it depends on the speed of your writting and if you like to blab like me :smile: )

Section A
4 mark question: 5 minutes
6 mark question: 10 minutes

Section B
8 mark question: 15 minutes
*I'd try and spare a few minutes at the start to really read and understand both the questions and sources
Plus there's 9 marks for SPAG. So try and leave 5 minutes at the end to check it on both your 10 mark and 12 mark questions

SECTION A:
4 Marker : 2/3 inferences of the source
6 Marker : 3 points explained in detail
10 marker : How useful the source is compared to own knowledge and provenance. Don't fully understand this?

SECTION B:
8 Marker: Point using the source to describe event, then 2/3 extra points from own knowledge describing event.
12 Marker: 3 points for, 3 points against and conclusion expressing your opinion
Reply 72
Original post by bbadonde2
How do you answer a 10 marker? Is it show the source usefulness and limitations through own knowledge, then say how its provenance effects its usefulness?

The ten marker is just like a six marker but with more detail- we got told to do 3 paragraphs- one on analysing the content of the source, one on the provenance of the source and then an evaluation.
Also, if the viewpoint of the source is not included state it in your first paragraph.
You should include 3-4 specific pieces of knowledge in your first paragraph to question or support the viewpoint of the source (could be facts, statistics, key people, reasons...)

good luck!
bit stressed cuz I haven't revised as much for this exam as I did for the first one- oh well...
Reply 73
Heres a handy tool i made for finding out what mark you need in the exam to get what grade you want,

Is this accurate? Im asking because it shows me the correct ums i got in the exam but i saw my coursework grade when my teacher marked it and i got 34/40, however, in this it says i got 34 on the first sheet but it says it got 39 on the second sheet? what does this mean??:confused::s-smilie: My coursework was moderated, could it be this?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Is there a mark scheme for the first exam? How does everyone know what they need to get?
Reply 75
Original post by Agility
Is there a mark scheme for the first exam? How does everyone know what they need to get?

The marks vary every year per question. Q6 is 12 marks. Paper is 1hr 30 mins. I would leave 5 mins at the end to check. Around 12 mins for questions which are 7 marks, 14 for questions which are 8 or 9 marks and the
rest which is around 20 mins for Q6.
Reply 76
Original post by Agility

Oops sorry meant to answer someone else.:frown:
Reply 77
Original post by chatty
The marks vary every year per question. Q6 is 12 marks. Paper is 1hr 30 mins. I would leave 5 mins at the end to check. Around 12 mins for questions which are 7 marks, 14 for questions which are 8 or 9 marks and the
rest which is around 20 mins for Q6.

1 hour 45 actually
Reply 78
EXAM TECHNIQUES:

Technique:

Section A Weimar:

What does source A suggest (4 marks)?

-The source tell us that (taken from the source)….. this suggests that (Your own knowledge)…….

Explain (6 marks):

-Simply your own knowledge. Try and develop at least 2 points.

How useful is Source A for...(10 marks)?

-Very similar to ‘do you agree’ on paper 1.

-No introduction

-Early judgement, e.g. The source has some use, however it has some limitations

-Discuss all the reasons as to why you the source may be useful, using your own knowledge and assessing the purpose (Author, Bias) and accuracy (Content) of the source. If a source states something different to that you expect, it can strengthen its credibility. E.g. you would expect a German author to be bias towards Germany but they may be biased towards England. Also remember that a subjective opinion can be useful. E.g. A German author may give a German view about something and therefore it tells you how Germans felt.

- Discuss all the reasons as to why you the source may not be useful, using your own knowledge and assessing the purpose (Author, Bias) and accuracy (Content) of the source, (e.g.: The source has some limitations because the source is clearly one sided and supports the author’s view and does not show any alternative views, such as.). Also talk about any information that the source has missed.

-Write a conclusion again with a judgment (agree with first judgement)

-REMEMBER:
-Link all comments to the source’s usefulness
-There is no need for a long introduction
-You don’t have to look at the source as whole as such. You may find some parts useful and other parts of the source not useful.

Section B Germany 1929 to 1939 and Vietnam

Using Source A and your own knowledge, describe how…(8 marks):

-Say what the source tells you

-Say what your own knowledge tells you

Do you agree with the statement (12 marks)?

-No intro, just a judgement, e.g. I largely agree…

-Start with the given factor from the statement and given reasons for agreeing

-Now look at other factors which disagree with the statement

-Make a comparative conclusion, stating your opinion

Sorry to be a pin but that isnt working for me so could you check what i need for an A* please, i got 90 in unit 1 and i cant remember what score in the coursework but it was 2 marks over an A. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending