The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by vitalemon
Congratulations on getting unconditional offer. May I know your predicted?
Do you have any idea if offer can be switched from No placement year with placement year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they encourage you do to a placement year anyway I hear. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by TyrionL
Hi,
How does accommodation work if Bath is my reserve? Do I have to wait until results are out to apply?
Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, the accommodation application that opens in April is only available to prospective students who have selected Bath at their firm choice. Students with Bath as their insurance choice who do not get the results needed for their firm will be allowed to apply after results day but as I'm sure you understand, the accomodation choices would be more limited.

Bath does its best to provide accommodation to all students, whether firm or insurance, however those who apply late may only have the option to live in the city accommodation, rather than on campus.

Many of my friends lived in the city accommodation last year and although it's further to travel to lectures, the buses are very frequent and living in the city centre has many other advantages.

Good luck with your A levels!
Kind regards,
Isabelle
Reply 182
Thanks for your reply Isabelle :smile:.

Will the new accommodation be ready this year? Do you think this will this make it more likely for insurance and clearance people to get campus rooms?
Reply 183
Hi,

I've just had a look at the information about the new accommodation (The Quads) and have seen that there is a £25 a week catering fee - is this the only option or is there an option to be completely self catering given that there are communal kitchens?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Can anyone tell me what the catering option is like? Worried about not using it all? Also I like eating healthily and would like to also make my own food sometimes but only if I have used all the credit up. Don't want to end up eating a load of junk!
Reply 185
Hey I was just wondering,

Do you have dimensions of the rooms in Woodlands, the £140 and £145 rooms? Just so I can take a look at the difference :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by University Of Bath
X

Hello! I was just wondering, how much smaller are the rooms in the Quads compared to a standard room in say Westwood or Eastwood? Oh and have all the rooms in Westwood been upgraded to the enhanced size with washbasin as now there is only an option for 'standard with washbasin' so I'm a bit confused?
Hi,

I got the conditional offer for Computer Science and Mathematics Bsc from Bath. I wanted to make it as my firm choice but what if I miss the grade. Will they still consider me because it's my firm choice or they will not?

Thanks.
Original post by arainyday
Can anyone tell me what the catering option is like? Worried about not using it all? Also I like eating healthily and would like to also make my own food sometimes but only if I have used all the credit up. Don't want to end up eating a load of junk!

Hello,

Students living in Brendon Court or Polden Court with catering will receive £55 per week to spend on food and drink around campus (excluding alcohol) for the price of £50.

Those in The Quads, Bath’s newest accommodation which is still being built, will receive £27.50 per week for the price of £25.

This credit is only charged for 33 weeks of the contract to take into account the Christmas and Easter holidays.

There are six places you can spend the card:

Sports Café

Fountain Canteen

4W Café

Parade Bar

Claverton Rooms (postgraduates only)

Wessex

To answer your question about healthy eating, there certainly are healthy options available and I would specifically recommend the Sports Café and Fountain Canteen's salad and smoothie bar.

Here is an idea of what you could buy in one week. This shows some example prices of meals so you can see that it is not expensive compared to eating out in town.

Of course you would have the option to make your own food as well. Brendon Court, Polden Court and The Quads all have kitchens equipped with facilities (such as fridges, kettles, microwaves etc.) for making snacks and light meals.

As for costs, you can either pay for accommodation term-by-term or for the whole year at once, and this fee includes your catering credit. The terms are:

September January

January May

May June

Credit can be carried over to the following term but is non-transferable at the end of the contract. So if you are a very light eater, there is the small chance that you could have money left over at the end of the year on your card, and this cannot be refunded.

I hope this helps, and more information on catered accommodation at Bath can be found here.

Kind regards,
Isabelle
Original post by jasmiine
Hi,

I've just had a look at the information about the new accommodation (The Quads) and have seen that there is a £25 a week catering fee - is this the only option or is there an option to be completely self catering given that there are communal kitchens?

Thanks

Hi,

As far as I can tell, everyone living in The Quads will be catered. Brendon Court and Polden Court are the other two halls with catering, but they also have kitchens with the basic facilities (kettle, microwave, fridge etc.) to prepare light meals and snacks. I believe the case will be similar with The Quads.

Please see here for more information on catering at Bath.

Kind regards,
Isabelle
Reply 190
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

As far as I can tell, everyone living in The Quads will be catered. Brendon Court and Polden Court are the other two halls with catering, but they also have kitchens with the basic facilities (kettle, microwave, fridge etc.) to prepare light meals and snacks. I believe the case will be similar with The Quads.

Please see here for more information on catering at Bath.

Kind regards,
Isabelle

I have not firmed Bath yet and I'm worried if I firm in May there won't be any rooms left in Woodland. Is accommodation really on a first come first served basis? How popular are Woodland's enhanced rooms?
I have a conditional offer and will have my results end June.
Reply 191
How many choices do we get tomorrow? Is it one/four/three? I'm hearing so many different things!
Original post by Alien41
How many choices do we get tomorrow? Is it one/four/three? I'm hearing so many different things!

I have heard it's 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by Alien41

Uni of Bath says its 4 choices. I asked them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by charlieejobson
I have heard it's 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AlissaNB
Uni of Bath says its 4 choices. I asked them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! This is what I thought but rumours are going round on TSR saying we get only 1! Glad to have cleared that up lol :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ronmo32992
Hi,

I got the conditional offer for Computer Science and Mathematics Bsc from Bath. I wanted to make it as my firm choice but what if I miss the grade. Will they still consider me because it's my firm choice or they will not?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your question, and congratulations on receiving an offer to study at Bath.

While I understand why you are keen to clarify what would happen should you not meet the conditions of your offer, I am afraid that I am unable to provide a definitive answer.

Once we receive confirmation of the exam results of applicants holding an offer to study at Bath, we will confirm the spaces of those who have met the conditions of their offer.

Should any spaces remain on a given programme once this process is completed then we will consider whether we are able to confirm spaces for any applicants who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer. However, there is no guarantee that any spaces will be available once all offer holders who have met their offer conditions have had their spaces confirmed. Furthermore, as the proportion of offer holders who meet the conditions of their offers can vary significantly between years, I am afraid we are unable to provide any indication of how likely it is that we would be able to confirm the spaces of any applicants who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offers.

I hope that this information is helpful- please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Steve
Reply 196
Hi there,

I hold an offer for Natural Sciences BSc with a placement year. If I decide I want to do MSci once starting, will it be easy enough to transfer? I am unsure at this moment. I was assured that there would not be a problem with this. Also, if I swap to MSci, would I need to reapply to student finance?
Reply 197
Hi,

Earlier today I completed my accommodation application form. My choices were:
1. Woodland Court
2. The Quads
3. Solsbury and Marlborough Courts
4. Osborne House

All of my choices were en-suite single bedrooms.

In the specific requirements I wrote that I needed an en-suite as I am a Muslim and need to wash before I pray 5 times a day.

I'm a little bit worried that the people allocating the accommodation might take this into account and place me in Osborne House. I believe Osborne House is a designated quite area situated separate to other accommodation. This is not what I meant when I was specifying my need to pray. I do not particularly want to live there next year. It is only my fourth choice as it was the only other single self-catered en suite room available.

Can you please let me know if the order of my choices is the main contributing factor towards the allocations.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fk96
Hi,

Earlier today I completed my accommodation application form. My choices were:
1. Woodland Court
2. The Quads
3. Solsbury and Marlborough Courts
4. Osborne House

All of my choices were en-suite single bedrooms.

In the specific requirements I wrote that I needed an en-suite as I am a Muslim and need to wash before I pray 5 times a day.

I'm a little bit worried that the people allocating the accommodation might take this into account and place me in Osborne House. I believe Osborne House is a designated quite area situated separate to other accommodation. This is not what I meant when I was specifying my need to pray. I do not particularly want to live there next year. It is only my fourth choice as it was the only other single self-catered en suite room available.

Can you please let me know if the order of my choices is the main contributing factor towards the allocations.

Hi,

Thanks for your question!

Please don't worry- you have been clear in your application as to your specific requirements, and we won't make any additional assumptions (i.e. needing a particularly quiet room).

Wherever possible the accommodation office will try to meet the preferences of students, so hopefully you will be allocated one of your preferred choices.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply 199

Quick Reply

Latest