The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I was looking at the University of Bath and I was very intrigued! Two questions crossed my mind: What is the University of Bath's acceptance rate and what is the minimum GPA required for the University of Bath?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello, I was wondering if a mistake like a suspension in KS3 changes anything if my grades are all right? Does it make a major difference?
Regards

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I was looking at the University of Bath and I was very intrigued! Two questions crossed my mind: What is the University of Bath's acceptance rate and what is the minimum GPA required for the University of Bath?

Hi there,

From a quick Google, I couldn't find official figures from the uni about their acceptance rate, but according to this website it's 10-20% (not sure how reliable it is though). If you want to find out about acceptance rates and minimum GPA required, I'd suggest emailing [email protected] as they may be able to give you a more reliable answer.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Hello,

I'm getting ready for applying for accommodation in May and I was wondering if you have to put down 10 choices, what happens if you can't afford the ones you put lower down? For me even the cheapest options seem quite expensive per week and so I'm a bit worried I could get stuck with a room which is wayyy too much. Is it likely that I would get one of my top 2 choices if they are the cheaper, more standard ones?

Hello,

I'm getting ready for applying for accommodation in May and I was wondering if you have to put down 10 choices, what happens if you can't afford the ones you put lower down? For me even the cheapest options seem quite expensive per week and so I'm a bit worried I could get stuck with a room which is wayyy too much. Is it likely that I would get one of my top 2 choices if they are the cheaper, more standard ones?

Hi there - thanks for your question!

This is based on my experience 3 years ago but as far as I am aware, it is the same now!

I was in the position as you when I applied - I was looking to apply for the cheapest accomodations as they were all quite expensive and I was worried I would end up with something I could not afford.

The University allocation procedure states that you could be allocated any of your 10 choices. I would recommend listing all 10 so at least you get some say, rather than a random allocation. However, please take comfort in the fact that en-suite accomodation is very popular, so if it is not in your top choices, it is very unlikely you will be allocated it. The University recommend you only put 3 maximum en-suite choices anyway - which shows you the demand.

I lived in Westwood in my 1st year. The large proportion of people in the accomodation had put en-suite accomodations as their top choices but did not get them. I put standard accomodations as my first choices and that is what I got! I remember putting en-suite options at the bottom of my list in the hope I would not get it. There are 1429 standard, self-catered rooms on campus (plus more in the city), which is a lot! Whilst not guaranteed, you have a good choice of being allocated standard accomodation if is all of your top choices.

There is also a space on the application form to write a note - so you could include your concern about cost in this too. If you are really concerned, you can email [email protected] who will be able to give you an official repsonse!

Hope that helps :smile:
Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering
Hello,

Hi there,

I can see that Leah has responded, but I feel you may find some more information/clarification useful, as well as an alternative opinion :smile:

It is indeed 10 choices that you have to choose (refer to the uni webpage on how the allocation process works here). I understand your worries concerning pricing of accommodation, as student accommodation can be expensive! You can see a full table comparing accommodation prices here, in case you couldn't find it already. The cheapest accommodation options are shared ensuite rooms (so 2 single beds and 1 bathroom). This can be off-putting, but you save at least £50 per week, and all the people I know who had shared rooms absolutely loved it! It is only a year, after all, so it may be worth considering shared rooms as some of your options, especially as back-ups instead of listing ensuite options.

Other than shared rooms, Eastwood, Norwood, Westwood, Brendon Court and Carpenter House (city) are all either £117 or £140 per week, so £468 or £560 per month. Essentially, you could put those 5 options as your top 5, and then some shared room options after as back-ups. The shared options are:
- Eastwood - £72 per week
- John Wood Court (city) - £72 per week
- Woodland Court - £90 per week

That takes up 8 of your options, and 2 more could be cheaper ensuite options. In my experience, I applied for ensuite options as my top options, and I got my first choice. All of my friends got their 1st or 2nd choice accommodations, be that ensuite or non-ensuite. Ensuite accommodation is more in demand, so its less likely people will get it as their first choice. Essentially, if you are aiming for non-ensuite rooms then you will be more likely to get your top choices, and in general the allocation system works well and most people get one of their top 3 choices.

The price of student accommodation can be daunting, but so long as you manage your money well, you'll be fine. In first year, you won't need to buy a bus pass so you save money there. I'd also recommend doing your grocery shops online and buying in bulk to prep meals weekly/fortnightly. This saves you a lot of money, and prepping meals for the week saves you loads of time. I did this and only spent £20-35 per week on groceries (whereas my flatmates spent about £50-60 per week by not doing this). Also make sure you get loyalty cards to earn points and discount vouchers for your supermarket shops, as this saves you a fair bit over time.

If you were hypothetically struggling with money and weren't able to pay your rent, there are some options available. The university offers interest free short terms loans of around £300-400, whereby if you are in dire need of some money, they can loan it to you and you then pay it back about 3 months later. They also offer hardship grands, whereby if you are suffering financial hardship they will give you a grant (the amount depends on each student) which you do not have to pay back. There are also scholarships and bursaries offered by the university which you may be interested in, which you can read about here.

On top of those funding options, it might be worth looking into some part-time work. There are loads of well-paying options at the university, which are designed to fit around your studies. I worked as a club rep for the SU club nights selling tickets for the club nights in first year, which got me around £10-50 a week depending on how many tickets I sold. This was really easy as I would just post in Facebook groups and people would buy them, as the SU nights are fairly popular. I have also worked as a student ambassador throughout my degree, at Open Days, doing accommodation tours, alumni events and here on Student Room. There's also loads of positions around campus in the supermarket, cafes, eateries etc. Essentially, there's lots of flexible/casual part-time work available at the uni, and they pay better than typical jobs in town, so I'd definitely suggest considering it if you need a bit of extra money :smile:

For me, I was able to afford more expensive ensuite accommodation with my student loan and part-time work here and there, so as long as you manage your spending well then you'll be absolutely fine in cheaper accommodation :smile:

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions!
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there - thanks for your question!

This is based on my experience 3 years ago but as far as I am aware, it is the same now!

I was in the position as you when I applied - I was looking to apply for the cheapest accomodations as they were all quite expensive and I was worried I would end up with something I could not afford.

The University allocation procedure states that you could be allocated any of your 10 choices. I would recommend listing all 10 so at least you get some say, rather than a random allocation. However, please take comfort in the fact that en-suite accomodation is very popular, so if it is not in your top choices, it is very unlikely you will be allocated it. The University recommend you only put 3 maximum en-suite choices anyway - which shows you the demand.

I lived in Westwood in my 1st year. The large proportion of people in the accomodation had put en-suite accomodations as their top choices but did not get them. I put standard accomodations as my first choices and that is what I got! I remember putting en-suite options at the bottom of my list in the hope I would not get it. There are 1429 standard, self-catered rooms on campus (plus more in the city), which is a lot! Whilst not guaranteed, you have a good choice of being allocated standard accomodation if is all of your top choices.

There is also a space on the application form to write a note - so you could include your concern about cost in this too. If you are really concerned, you can email [email protected] who will be able to give you an official repsonse!

Hope that helps :smile:
Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering

How do you decide between all the westwood options, e.g. mendip, costwolds etc?
Original post by libby.mlr
How do you decide between all the westwood options, e.g. mendip, costwolds etc?

Hi there!

The options that you can apply for in Westwood are:
- Cotswold, Derhill and Wolfson - Standard with washbasin (40 week contract) £140 per week
- Quantock and Conygre - Standard with washbasin £140 per week
- Mendip and Quarry - Standard with washbasin £138 per week

The only difference is that Cotswold, Derhill, and Wolfson have been refurbished and have a 40 week contract (the others all have 38 week contracts). Quantock and Conygre are the same standard rooms with a washbasin, just like Mendip and Quarry, except they have been refurbished (hence the higher price). You can find 360 views and descriptions of the different rooms here for comparison. The bedrooms are all basically the same, except the refurbished ones look slightly nicer and brighter (as you can see in the 360 views on the link I provided). It's really down to personal preference which one you choose, as they are all in the same location.

I hope this has helped,
Thank-you very much! That was very helpful I also wanted to check as accommodation opens next week, when you list your choices do you have to choose between them?E.g. do you write solsbury and Marlborough hill or can you write them as two separate options?Same with mendip and quarry etc Thank-you :smile:
Hi

I saw this question posted somewhere else, but there wasn't confirmation.

Can you influence who you share accommodation with?

Thank you
Original post by libby.mlr
Thank-you very much! That was very helpful I also wanted to check as accommodation opens next week, when you list your choices do you have to choose between them?E.g. do you write solsbury and Marlborough hill or can you write them as two separate options?Same with mendip and quarry etc Thank-you :smile:

Hi there,

No problem, I'm glad I could help! You cannot, I believe, choose between them. Solsbury and Marlborough are identical (literally 2 identical L-shaped buildings right next to each other, with identical flats), so you just apply for Marlborough and Solsbury as one, not 2 options. The same goes for Mendip and Quarry. If you look at the table here, you can see what the options are - ones that are listed together are ones that you apply for as the same option, since they are identical. If they let you apply to identical buildings separately, it would be a lot harder for them to allocate rooms.

I hope this has helped, and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Hi

I saw this question posted somewhere else, but there wasn't confirmation.

Can you influence who you share accommodation with?

Thank you

Hi there,

I think someone did ask this question somewhere as I answered it the other day :smile: If you want to share accommodation with someone you know (i..e shared bedroom or be in the same flat), you have to email the accommodation team when you submit you options when applying for accommodation. You can email them at [email protected]. Essentially you and you friend would have to list the same accommodation options (obviously), and both of you would have to email the accommodation team saying you would ideally like to live in the same flat and give the other person's details. This doesn't guarantee that you'll live together, but from what I know the accommodation team does try to match you if they can. 2 of the guys in my first year flat had done this and ended up in the same flat, and I know some other people who have done it.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica a third year NatSci student
Hello to whom it may concerned,

I have applied for an access course in HE computing, which I have been accepted to start for one year in September, (AYEEE). I have been out of education for years due to the language barrier from French to English when I moved to England, and the only qualifications that I have is functional skills in English and Mathematics - Level 2 (equivalent to C GCSE).

Now that I am stable and my English is now at a level where I could start studying properly, I have developed some interest in Bath University, for no reasons, haha.

My question is: Do you guys take Access Course to HE? If yes, since I am doing Computing what are the courses available, and the requirements? So I set my goal on it such as 30D, 15M ?

Sorry for the long story, needed to let you know the situation,

Charlie
Original post by CharlieCJ
Hello to whom it may concerned,

I have applied for an access course in HE computing, which I have been accepted to start for one year in September, (AYEEE). I have been out of education for years due to the language barrier from French to English when I moved to England, and the only qualifications that I have is functional skills in English and Mathematics - Level 2 (equivalent to C GCSE).

Now that I am stable and my English is now at a level where I could start studying properly, I have developed some interest in Bath University, for no reasons, haha.

My question is: Do you guys take Access Course to HE? If yes, since I am doing Computing what are the courses available, and the requirements? So I set my goal on it such as 30D, 15M ?

Sorry for the long story, needed to let you know the situation,

Charlie

Hi there,

We do accept Access to HE diplomas, but the specifics of what subjects and grades are required vary by subject. For example, if you follow this link, you can scroll down to the entry requirements for our Computer Science degree, where it outlines what the requirements are if you are doing an Access to HE diploma. You can contact our admissions department at [email protected], or by phoning them at 01225 383019, and they can help you more with the specifics regarding Access to HE :smile:

I hope this has helped,
Hi there,

We do accept Access to HE diplomas, but the specifics of what subjects and grades are required vary by subject. For example, if you follow this link, you can scroll down to the entry requirements for our Computer Science degree, where it outlines what the requirements are if you are doing an Access to HE diploma. You can contact our admissions department at [email protected], or by phoning them at 01225 383019, and they can help you more with the specifics regarding Access to HE :smile:

I hope this has helped,

Hello, Jessica,

Thank you very much for your message,

I have looked into the requirements, now I just need to put the work in -

This has helped me, thank you
Charlie
Hi there,

I hope this has helped,

Also, I wanted to know if it is possible to get in touch with a senior computer science student there, to get the feel, and receive more advice, guidance and so on? :smile: Please?
Hello, Jessica,

Thank you very much for your message,

I have looked into the requirements, now I just need to put the work in -

This has helped me, thank you
Charlie

Hi there,

No problem, glad I could help, and the best of luck! :smile:

Also, I wanted to know if it is possible to get in touch with a senior computer science student there, to get the feel, and receive more advice, guidance and so on? :smile: Please?

Hi there,

Yes you can! You can email [email protected] and speak to a current computer science student there :smile:

I hope this helped,
hi, how long does it generally take for a decision for management?
hi, how long does it generally take for a decision for management?

Hi there! Unfortunately there is no way of judging how long it will take to hear back. It varies year to year depending on the number and quality of applicants. With popular courses, such as management, it is likely that most applicants will not hear back until after the UCAS January deadline. This way, all applicants can be judged equally and allows the admissions tutors sufficient time to read through applications.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help, but please do not worry that you have not heard back yet as this is completely normal and to be expected!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest