The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, wondering if someone with predictions A*AB (one lower than the entry requirements) will still have a chance of getting an offer from Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there! Unfortunately there is no way of judging how long it will take to hear back. It varies year to year depending on the number and quality of applicants. With popular courses, such as management, it is likely that most applicants will not hear back until after the UCAS January deadline. This way, all applicants can be judged equally and allows the admissions tutors sufficient time to read through applications.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help, but please do not worry that you have not heard back yet as this is completely normal and to be expected!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering

do you accept 2nd year transfers?
Original post by Anonymous
do you accept 2nd year transfers?

Hi there,

You can find information on transfers to Uni of Bath here. From what I can see, Bath is unable to take second year transfers from other universities (at least this year), but you can transfer between certain courses within Bath.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
I’m planning on applying to the University of Bath and was wondering if applying twice for 2 similar courses will have an effect on either one? One of them has entry requirement A*AA which is one higher than my predictions whereas the other is the same as my predictions (A*AB). Would this reduce my chances of getting an offer for the higher course?]
I’m planning on applying to the University of Bath and was wondering if applying twice for 2 similar courses will have an effect on either one? One of them has entry requirement A*AA which is one higher than my predictions whereas the other is the same as my predictions (A*AB). Would this reduce my chances of getting an offer for the higher course?]

Hi there,

I believe I have answered this question on your separate thread so please check it out there :smile:

Hi, like many students I've been struggling to decide which unis to apply to since I can't visit the campus, meet the teachers or even see the town so I have a number of questions to ask students if you wouldn't mind answering. Also are there any bath students on TSR you can set me up with studying Sociology and Social Policy, I would like to ask some course-specific questions

-How is the online learning? Is it well organised or are there technical issues? How much variety is there, are you able to do different activities and actively engage, are you given pre-recorded lectures?

-Do you know how many undergrad students there are in the uni? Its okay if you have no idea XD

-What do you like most about the uni?

-What do you like least?

-What makes the uni different from all others- what's the USP?

-Does the uni have and particular focus or drive to improve sustainability? I know some have zero waste shops on campus, farmers market, extensive recycling programmes, a large number of students into sustainability and environmentalism? anything like this?

-What kind of career support is there, do students have to do any employability/personal or professional development activities. Does the uni actively help get students internships or professional placements maybe in the summer?

-What kind of mental health support is available to students? or even just stress management/check ups etc.
Original post by lol.yolo
Hi, like many students I've been struggling to decide which unis to apply to since I can't visit the campus, meet the teachers or even see the town so I have a number of questions to ask students if you wouldn't mind answering. Also are there any bath students on TSR you can set me up with studying Sociology and Social Policy, I would like to ask some course-specific questions

-How is the online learning? Is it well organised or are there technical issues? How much variety is there, are you able to do different activities and actively engage, are you given pre-recorded lectures?

-Do you know how many undergrad students there are in the uni? Its okay if you have no idea XD

-What do you like most about the uni?

-What do you like least?

-What makes the uni different from all others- what's the USP?

-Does the uni have and particular focus or drive to improve sustainability? I know some have zero waste shops on campus, farmers market, extensive recycling programmes, a large number of students into sustainability and environmentalism? anything like this?

-What kind of career support is there, do students have to do any employability/personal or professional development activities. Does the uni actively help get students internships or professional placements maybe in the summer?

-What kind of mental health support is available to students? or even just stress management/check ups etc.

Hi there,

I am a current final year Sociology student at the University of Bath.

In regards to the online learning, it is very well organised and I have personally not experienced any technical issues. The usual structure is times are set out when you dial in using Zoom and listen to the lecture live. The live lectures are also recorded so you can access it at any anytime or re-watch if you need. Lecturers often engage with the class and facilitate class debate.

At the University of Bath there are around 4,000 undergraduate students. It sounds a lot in comparison to school, however this is actually a lot less than some bigger universities. The campus style and lower number of students is something I like about Bath because you can walk around campus and bump into lots of friendly faces. In addition, the city of Bath is beautiful and there lots to explore and do. One thing to note about Bath however is the cost of living is quite high in comparison to some other universities.

The University does have a particular focus on sustainability, for example when you live in University accommodation in your first year there is an ongoing competition with prizes for the flat who saves the most energy. If sustainability is something you are interested in there is a society called people and planet, who campaign for the environment and help enforce environmentally friendly practices on campus.

The career support at the University is excellent, we have a careers service who can help check your CV or do a practice interview. In addition, they host regular careers events, such as networking with employers, a careers fair and workshops. At Bath in particular there is a big focus on doing a placement year. I did a placement year in my third year doing Market Research in London and found it highly valuable.

The mental health support is also excellent, the mental health team can get you access to mental health support if you need it and also offer counselling workshops and courses. Nightline is also available which is a peer to peer support listening service, who are open every night of term to listen to anything you may want to talk about.

I hope this helps, if you have any course specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Isobel, a third year Sociology student
Hi there,

I am a current final year Sociology student at the University of Bath.

In regards to the online learning, it is very well organised and I have personally not experienced any technical issues. The usual structure is times are set out when you dial in using Zoom and listen to the lecture live. The live lectures are also recorded so you can access it at any anytime or re-watch if you need. Lecturers often engage with the class and facilitate class debate.

At the University of Bath there are around 4,000 undergraduate students. It sounds a lot in comparison to school, however this is actually a lot less than some bigger universities. The campus style and lower number of students is something I like about Bath because you can walk around campus and bump into lots of friendly faces. In addition, the city of Bath is beautiful and there lots to explore and do. One thing to note about Bath however is the cost of living is quite high in comparison to some other universities.

The University does have a particular focus on sustainability, for example when you live in University accommodation in your first year there is an ongoing competition with prizes for the flat who saves the most energy. If sustainability is something you are interested in there is a society called people and planet, who campaign for the environment and help enforce environmentally friendly practices on campus.

The career support at the University is excellent, we have a careers service who can help check your CV or do a practice interview. In addition, they host regular careers events, such as networking with employers, a careers fair and workshops. At Bath in particular there is a big focus on doing a placement year. I did a placement year in my third year doing Market Research in London and found it highly valuable.

The mental health support is also excellent, the mental health team can get you access to mental health support if you need it and also offer counselling workshops and courses. Nightline is also available which is a peer to peer support listening service, who are open every night of term to listen to anything you may want to talk about.

I hope this helps, if you have any course specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Thank you Isobel, this is very helpful. I just wanted to know how much value you feel the course offers. Can you see yourself or your peers entering professional employment with the modules and content covered? I've also struggled to find information online about the modules, as core modules are listed but no optional ones (Looking at sociology and Social Policy joint). In particular I would like a course that has a focus in research but am also interested in covering topics about the environment and education.
Original post by lol.yolo
Thank you Isobel, this is very helpful. I just wanted to know how much value you feel the course offers. Can you see yourself or your peers entering professional employment with the modules and content covered? I've also struggled to find information online about the modules, as core modules are listed but no optional ones (Looking at sociology and Social Policy joint). In particular I would like a course that has a focus in research but am also interested in covering topics about the environment and education.

Hi again,

I feel the course is very valuable in learning about the world in which we live. I have taken a variety of different modules, including race and racism, the sociology of the family, social change and religion in the contemporary world. Sociology and Social Policy graduates from Bath enter a lot of different professional fields, including research, consultancy, journalism, civil service and teaching. I am actually returning to my placement company to do market research when I graduate.

If you would like to check out the optional modules here is a link to the unit catalogue. Please be mindful this catalogue is for this academic year, so modules may change. One of the great things about Bath is that you can choose modules from other departments too, so in my first year I did a module called Mind and Behaviour in the Psychology department, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I see you noted you are interested in Education, so you would have the opportunity to take modules from the Education department if you wish.

The Sociology and Social Policy course is a Bachelor of Science, which means there is a heavy focus on research and you will have to take compulsory qualitative and quantitative research modules in your first and second year. Moreover, in your final year you conduct you own research project as part of your dissertation.

I hope this helps, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Hello I have an offer for a Meng at University of Bath and I was wondering if it’s possible to switch to a Beng during the course and do a masters for a different course at Bath as well?
Hello I have an offer for a Meng at University of Bath and I was wondering if it’s possible to switch to a Beng during the course and do a masters for a different course at Bath as well?

Hi there,

I am fairly certain that this is possible! I would suggest emailing the admissions team and asking them to change this for you, as then you can do the BEng, and then a separate masters afterwards. It is important to note though that if you switch to the bachelors, and then decide you do want to do the MEng, it can be hard to switch back. MEng students often have extra requirements (such as needing to meet specific higher grade requirements), so it can be difficult for the university to switch people from BEng to MEng.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure you can switch to the BEng from the MEng, you just have to email the admissions department to ask them to do it for you.
I hope this helped :smile:
Hi there,

I am fairly certain that this is possible! I would suggest emailing the admissions team and asking them to change this for you, as then you can do the BEng, and then a separate masters afterwards. It is important to note though that if you switch to the bachelors, and then decide you do want to do the MEng, it can be hard to switch back. MEng students often have extra requirements (such as needing to meet specific higher grade requirements), so it can be difficult for the university to switch people from BEng to MEng.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure you can switch to the BEng from the MEng, you just have to email the admissions department to ask them to do it for you.
I hope this helped :smile:

Thanks for letting me know. I’m assuming I have some time to decide to switch to the beng right? Also if the masters I want to do is in a different department from my bachelors, would that cause any issues?
Thanks for letting me know. I’m assuming I have some time to decide to switch to the beng right? Also if the masters I want to do is in a different department from my bachelors, would that cause any issues?

Hi there! Which course have you applied for? The timelines for being able to switch courses vary between our engineering courses. For example, in mechanical engineeering, there is no BEng option. In chemical engineering, the BEng and MEng are the same for the first 2 years, then you will need to make a decision as to which course you would like to continue with. It is unlikely that you will need to make the decision before you start the course, although it depends on the course.

I am not sure which course you are referring to when you are talking about switching departments - I have not heard of that before, but it might be possible depending on the context of your course, as some courses are taught from more than 1 department.

Do let me know if you have anymore questions.

Leah
Hi there! Which course have you applied for? The timelines for being able to switch courses vary between our engineering courses. For example, in mechanical engineeering, there is no BEng option. In chemical engineering, the BEng and MEng are the same for the first 2 years, then you will need to make a decision as to which course you would like to continue with. It is unlikely that you will need to make the decision before you start the course, although it depends on the course.

I am not sure which course you are referring to when you are talking about switching departments - I have not heard of that before, but it might be possible depending on the context of your course, as some courses are taught from more than 1 department.

Do let me know if you have anymore questions.

Leah

I was thinking about doing a BEng in Integrated Mechanical and Electrical engineering but then doing a masters in Computer Science at Bath, I’ve heard this is possible? The requirements for the masters is a first or a strong second class bachelors in any subject.
Hello, I had a question about the Department of Computer Science at Bath. Is everything taught from scratch or do applicants need to have prior knowledge in CS?
I was thinking about doing a BEng in Integrated Mechanical and Electrical engineering but then doing a masters in Computer Science at Bath, I’ve heard this is possible? The requirements for the masters is a first or a strong second class bachelors in any subject.

Hi there,

According to the course page for the Computer Science MSc on our website:

"You should have a first or strong second-class bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent.

To apply for this course you may have an undergraduate degree in any subject, but you must demonstrate evidence of relevant quantitative skills (especially algebra and calculus) either through your degree study or by alternative means."

So, you should be eligible to apply for the CompSci MSc with a BEng in IMEE, provided you get a first or strong 2:1 in the BEng.

I hope this has helped,
What's the earliest time that a period that is compulsory to attend (lectures, lessons...) can happen?
What's the earliest time that a period that is compulsory to attend (lectures, lessons...) can happen?

Hi there! Thanks for your question :smile:

The earliest session in the timetable is 8:15 am - I have not known of any sessions start earlier than this. Although not that common (it is highly unlikely that you would have this early start every day), it is definitely still possible and I have had a few of these sessions myself. The likelihood of having a session this early really depends on many factors: room availability, class size etc. It varies each year.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any other questions!

Leah
Reply 818
Has anyone heard about offers for Aeronautical engineering at Bath. My application went in January.

Quick Reply

Latest