The Student Room Group

German grammar: v simple explanation pleeeease!

Ok, I know this type of thread has been done before, but I basically want an explanation of which adjective endings to use and when. And when to use accusative, dative and genitive.

The reason I started a new thread is cos I really mean "simple" hehe! I'd really really really appreciate it if someone who understands german grammar (since I soooo don't!) could explain these points to me. I've looked at so many websites and books which give standard explanations, but I really can't get it. So what I need is someone to give me their own explanation, and not one from a book.

Thank you so so much in advance.. and apologies for the frantic message, but I'm currently stressing cos I need an A in German for Uni and I'm a lil concerned that I'm not heading in that direction!
Reply 1
nominative: the thing(s) doing the action (der, das, die, die), e.g. DER Mann ist alt.
accusative: 1. the thing(s) receiving the action (den, das, die, die), e.g. er hat MICH geschlagt.
2. always with certain prepositions i.e. durch, ohne, entlang, gegen, fuer, um, bis (unless followed by a second preposition that takes dative)(GOB FEUD), and also when a preposition indicates movement, e.g. ich gehe in DAS Kino.
dative: 1. "to someone/something" e.g. he gave the present TO ME -> er hat MIR das Geschaenk gegeben.
2. always with certain prepositions, i.e. aus, bei, ausser, zu, mit, nach, seit, von (BAZ'S MAN), also when indicating position with a preposition, e.g. das Haus ist neben DEM Museum.
genetive: 1. possesion or 'of someone/something', e.g. the man's wife -> die Frau des Manns.
2. with certain prepositions, i.e. anstatt, statt, ausserhalb, innerhalb, trotz, waehrend, wegen (SAW WAIT), e.g. despite the problems -> trotz des Problemes.

for adjective endings just read the site below and try the quiz at the bottom :smile:

http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/german/grammar/gr-adj.htm

hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thank You!!! I've never understood endings- why can't someone have put it like that last year?????????? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending