The Student Room Group

Low paid care workers - should unqualified workers not be allowed to enter the profes

Through looking for a job with my degree (youth work related), it has really made me think about the state of the caring profession in this country.

I am getting tons of these jobs thrown at me due to the nature of my degree. I actually wouldn't mind doing it, if the pay was higher, but the hours seem so high and the pay is extremely low for the work that you put in. It seems disgusting to me that the workforce seems so illiterate, so unskilled and low paid. The jobs just don't warrant giving up the part-time job.

It makes me think that things will get way way way worse now that the 'baby boomer' generation hit the retirement market.

The caring industry isn't my best area of knowledge by the way before all the flaming comes. To what extent is this industry moderated and governed? In my opinion care workers must be well paid and those who want to enter the profession must be well educated.

It really makes me think - my mother is getting old. I honestly would never trust the majority of care workers out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
These agencies should be regulated by the Care Quality Commission, they should have people who are appropriately trained things such as manual handling and infection prevention and control for instance. If they're just throwing people into the job with no training then the CQC have the power to close them down as it puts service users at risk.
Yes, because I can see a lot of graduates wanting a career in wiping backsides..

I spent my gap year working in a care home and I can't see why you'd need the carers to be "highly educated". The job isn't intellectually taxing and as long as you have some common sense and a love of people the job is do-able by most people.
Carers don't (usually) just get thrown into the job without training. I know I had health and safety, manual handling, infection prevention and control etc. training before I was allowed to do anything, and even once trained I had to shadow a senior carer for two weeks.

As for regulating the industry, CQC does that. We were hit with three random inspections in my seven months there and if they'd found anything untoward they'd have the power to put the place under measures and then close the home if it didnt improve.
Reply 3
It's even worse when you have the jobcentre encouraging inappropriate people into these jobs.
As a Student Nurse who works as a Healthcare Support Worker on an internal 'bank' system I think that there should definately be alot more training for 'unqualified staff' but not to a higher education level. Most Healthcare Assistants complete NVQ's (Level 2's & 3's but there's still some areas that isn't included which they should know more about. For instance; when joining as a Healthcare Assistant, bearing in mind I am a Student Nurse too, I received training regarding - Moving & Handling, Hand Hygiene, Fire and Infection Control which in my opinion isn't nearly enough! I know there is also e-learning to complete, but most of it is optional. There should definately more indepth training regarding basic care needs that falls mainly to the Healthcare Assistant like; Pressure Area care, Nutrition and Fluid Balance, Completing Observations and Personal Hygiene - at the very least. I know most of this should be covered during practial induction days/week but there should be theory sessions around it so that people know the importance of it .. It would benefit all sides!
Wages are the second thing that makes me sick to my stomach about the care industry. The first is the absolutely extortionate prices you be to be there while the private companies running them make a bucket load of money. What an absolute disgrace care to elderly is in this country. It need serious reform.
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
As a Student Nurse who works as a Healthcare Support Worker on an internal 'bank' system I think that there should definately be alot more training for 'unqualified staff' but not to a higher education level. Most Healthcare Assistants complete NVQ's (Level 2's & 3's but there's still some areas that isn't included which they should know more about. For instance; when joining as a Healthcare Assistant, bearing in mind I am a Student Nurse too, I received training regarding - Moving & Handling, Hand Hygiene, Fire and Infection Control which in my opinion isn't nearly enough! I know there is also e-learning to complete, but most of it is optional. There should definately more indepth training regarding basic care needs that falls mainly to the Healthcare Assistant like; Pressure Area care, Nutrition and Fluid Balance, Completing Observations and Personal Hygiene - at the very least. I know most of this should be covered during practial induction days/week but there should be theory sessions around it so that people know the importance of it .. It would benefit all sides!

Really? But the job is basically brainless - you follow the protocol for all of those things

Oh yeah.. and I work as an HCA, so I'm not just making some ignorant assumption
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rainbowbex
Really? But the job is basically brainless - you follow the protocol for all of those things

I have to strongly disagree with you there! Following 'protocol' it may be but people NEED to understand the theory/rationale behind the protocol in order to fully appreciate and follow it .. Nutrition - may seem a 'brainless' task of feeding someone to you but people need to understand other things surrounding it such as; modified diets and additional needs that some people may need. Stroke patients for example; shouldn't use a 'beaker' to drink with because physically the swallowing process starts with the sensation on the lips and beakers bypass this. Most 'brainless' people as you put it would proberly get a stroke patient, who can't handle the drink well, a beaker to prevent them spilling their drink down themselves. That's just one example of why people need such training!
I have to strongly disagree with you there! Following 'protocol' it may be but people NEED to understand the theory/rationale behind the protocol in order to fully appreciate and follow it .. Nutrition - may seem a 'brainless' task of feeding someone to you but people need to understand other things surrounding it such as; modified diets and additional needs that some people may need. Stroke patients for example; shouldn't use a 'beaker' to drink with because physically the swallowing process starts with the sensation on the lips and beakers bypass this. Most 'brainless' people as you put it would proberly get a stroke patient, who can't handle the drink well, a beaker to prevent them spilling their drink down themselves. That's just one example of why people need such training!

Surely that's what care plans are for?

Certainly in the care home I worked in, each resident had a care plan specifying their individual needs. Ranging from nutritional - including feeding methods - to mobility.

I would not say that the job as a carer is 'brainless', but I wouldn't say it takes anything more than common sense and the ability to read.

I agree that additional training is never a bad thing, however.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Surely that's what care plans are for?

Certainly in the care home I worked in, each resident had a care plan specifying their individual needs. Ranging from nutritional - including feeding methods - to mobility.

I would not say that the job as a carer is 'brainless', but I wouldn't say it takes anything more than common sense and the ability to read.

I agree - but the time constrictions within some areas/roles often mean that you just don't have a chance. In a Care Home, you have no excuse - the residents are often long term and you get to know each individual. I work in a Hospital meaning I go to different wards almost every shift I have - I often don't have time to read through each persons care plans in detail (and remember them all). I have to go by a short handover and my own knowledge and experience and generally only refer to the care plans if needing to .. If people aren't trainned to a standard where they can understand and impliment the necessary basics they shouldn't be in care.
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree - but the time constrictions within some areas/roles often mean that you just don't have a chance. In a Care Home, you have no excuse - the residents are often long term and you get to know each individual. I work in a Hospital meaning I go to different wards almost every shift I have - I often don't have time to read through each persons care plans in detail (and remember them all). I have to go by a short handover and my own knowledge and experience and generally only refer to the care plans if needing to .. If people aren't trainned to a standard where they can understand and impliment the necessary basics they shouldn't be in care.

Ah, I could see how it would be different in a hospital setting or if there was a high patient turnover. I have no experience with hospital care work so I can't comment on that side.
Reply 11
The agencies are regulated by the CQC (who usually manage to do far more harm than good) and all nurses are required to hold a recognised nursing qualification (which is a degree now in the UK) and are responsible to the NMC (they have to revalidate every year and maintain fitness to practice standards etc).

I don't think that carers necessarily need to be 'smarter' (care homes which cater for people with complex medical needs are required to employ nurses) as given the choice I would prefer to be cared for by someone less educated but more caring. What I do think needs to happen is that all HCAs (particularly those in hospital environments) be provided with minimum training standards, clearly defined skill levels (and make this universal rather than varying from trust to trust) and registration with the NMC. Professional accountability, clearly defined skill levels and protected training would I think address many of the problems that you are suggesting and go a long way to improving patient safety.

As a suggestion I would like to see all HCAs trained in (and required to annually revalidate on):

* Basic life support (more than just the 2 hours once a year that you currently get)
* Observations and basic non-invasive monitoring (to include BMs, manual BP, ECGs and heart monitors).
* Patient hygiene
* Management of pressure areas
* Patient handling
* Non-complex dressings
* Management of patiets with dementia/mental health needs
* Fluid balance and nutrition
* Infection control

** optional = venepuncture and cannulation

I would also really like to see HCAs receive basic instruction on chronic illnesses (particularly COPD, heart disease, renal failure and diabetes) and common medications - but I doubt that will happen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Josh93
The agencies are regulated by the CQC (who usually manage to do far more harm than good) and all nurses are required to hold a recognised nursing qualification (which is a degree now in the UK) and are responsible to the NMC (they have to revalidate every year and maintain fitness to practice standards etc).

I don't think that carers necessarily need to be 'smarter' (care homes which cater for people with complex medical needs are required to employ nurses) as given the choice I would prefer to be cared for by someone less educated but more caring. What I do think needs to happen is that all HCAs (particularly those in hospital environments) be provided with minimum training standards, clearly defined skill levels (and make this universal rather than varying from trust to trust) and registration with the NMC. Professional accountability, clearly defined skill levels and protected training would I think address many of the problems that you are suggesting and go a long way to improving patient safety.

As a suggestion I would like to see all HCAs trained in (and required to annually revalidate on):

* Basic life support (more than just the 2 hours once a year that you currently get)
* Observations and basic non-invasive monitoring (to include BMs, manual BP, ECGs and heart monitors).
* Patient hygiene
* Management of pressure areas
* Patient handling
* Non-complex dressings
* Management of patiets with dementia/mental health needs
* Fluid balance and nutrition
* Infection control

** optional = venepuncture and cannulation

I would also really like to see HCAs receive basic instruction on chronic illnesses (particularly COPD, heart disease, renal failure and diabetes) and common medications - but I doubt that will happen.

Do you think HCA's working in nursing or residential homes require knowledge on ECG's, manual BP, venepuncture and cannulation? As a nurse I'd be uncomfortable with a HCA carrying out wound care without me seeing the wound as well.
Reply 13
Original post by moonkatt
Do you think HCA's working in nursing or residential homes require knowledge on ECG's, manual BP, venepuncture and cannulation? As a nurse I'd be uncomfortable with a HCA carrying out wound care without me seeing the wound as well.

Manual BP - it certainly wouldn't hurt.
Venepuncture and cannulation, no but I would keep that as a voluntary skill anyway.
ECGs/monitors...I concede that these skills are not exactly required for HCAs in a nursing home but then nor are many of the skills that the nurses possess, I think it would be worth training some HCAs in skills that they do not require in order to achieve a degree of uniformity and proper regulation nationally.

Regarding wound care - I usually work in A&E and the policy which they operate is that HCAs may perform wound care as long as the wound has already been assessed and the HCA has demonstrated competence with the required dressing. I completely agree with you that it would not be appropriate for HCAs to perform wound care completely unsupervised.
Pretty much every person I know who has been a carer has had completely bugger-all qualifications.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending