The Student Room Group

uni applicaton question help medicine

Hi,
i have to send a further paragraph for the med course im hoping to be accepted in/ on top of the PS but they ask a question limited to 200 words,
i would really appreciate some advice on what i should include

the question is: what motivates you to study medicine
& to be completely honest my main motivation is a mix of things & im worried i might be contradicting myself or sounding rude

(motivation 1)
-ive seen the way healthcare workers have helped my mother and tried to be incredibly understanding and supportive, alleviating her symptoms and i want to do the same thing for others

(motivation 2)
-but ive also seen how some workers are dismissive and rude & she was overprescribed painkillers + a surgical mistake which led to and overdose & her entering a coma leading to paralysis. without the risk of sounding obnoxious because i know mistakes occur but i was thinking of incorporating this point as motivation 2, i hope to give compassionate & attentive care to prevent similar experiences for others in the future to the best of my ability

(motivation 3)
i like biology, anatomy ect👍

thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by hihihihihuhh
Hi,
i have to send a further paragraph for the med course im hoping to be accepted in/ on top of the PS but they ask a question limited to 200 words,
i would really appreciate some advice on what i should include

the question is: what motivates you to study medicine
& to be completely honest my main motivation is a mix of things & im worried i might be contradicting myself or sounding rude

(motivation 1)
-ive seen the way healthcare workers have helped my mother and tried to be incredibly understanding and supportive, alleviating her symptoms and i want to do the same thing for others

(motivation 2)
-but ive also seen how some workers are dismissive and rude & she was overprescribed painkillers + a surgical mistake which led to and overdose & her entering a coma leading to paralysis. without the risk of sounding obnoxious because i know mistakes occur but i was thinking of incorporating this point as motivation 2, i hope to give compassionate & attentive care to prevent similar experiences for others in the future to the best of my ability

(motivation 3)
i like biology, anatomy ect👍

thank you in advance

I think motivation 1 seems great if you expand on it more and link it to specific duties of a doctor (from GMC) and explain how you possess these qualities and how you are sure you can do a good job as a doctor as well. I personally wouldn't include motivation 2 - just because I would be scared to word it incorrectly and sound ignorant of the medical profession. You can if you want to though. I personally wouldn't use the terms rude and dismissive to talk about the workers just talk about how mistakes can happen and how you have witnessed this first hand and if you were a doctor you would do your best to prevent them
Hello,

My name is Haya, and I am a final year medical student at UCLan.

Best of luck with you application and I hope you get into medical school.

What I have learned from my experience in medical school is ensure you back up your thoughts with experiences from your life. The medical journey of your mother can be a great starting point and if you reflect on it you can mention that you learned about the compassion of doctors but also duty of candour, which is when healthcare professionals have to admit to making mistakes and be open and transparent.

Have a look at the Good Medical Practice, a guideline by the GMC, and write about any experiences you have that showcase these qualities.

Best of Luck,
Haya- MBBS 5
Reply 3
With respect to point 2, my concern would be that it might sound a bit naive for a medical school applicant to say that there was a drug error and a surgical mistake. I'm not saying you shouldn't mention that motivation, but if you do want to include it, I'd just be cautious about how you word it.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending