The Student Room Group

Annual Leave Job Description

I'm starting a new job soon. I signed the contract and had a good look at it. I don't mind if I have to work bank holidays, but does anyone know if this means I get bank holidays off or need to work them to get paid?

'the paid holiday entitlement is 33 days, including any regular or one-off public holidays and accrues at the rate of 2.08 days per complete month of employment.'

It says including public holidays, so does that mean I'll get paid for bank holidays or need to book them off?
Original post by Kay_243
I'm starting a new job soon. I signed the contract and had a good look at it. I don't mind if I have to work bank holidays, but does anyone know if this means I get bank holidays off or need to work them to get paid?

'the paid holiday entitlement is 33 days, including any regular or one-off public holidays and accrues at the rate of 2.08 days per complete month of employment.'

It says including public holidays, so does that mean I'll get paid for bank holidays or need to book them off?

You can take 33 days paid holiday per year. The expectation is that 8 of these would be the public holidays, plus 25 other days.

It's not clear from what's written in the conttact whether you would need to specifically book the public holidays off - probably not.
Reply 2
Original post by Kay_243

So you are employed to work public holidays looking at what you have written about this.

Most employers have charged over to working public holidays with adding those onto your annual leave hence why you have got 33 days until you have earned enough to get a few extra days when you usually work there for five years and then again increases after ten years.

You can ask ( book) the public holidays of but remember that you might not be granted them as this will depend on staffing levels for operations reasons for the company.
All holidays must be booked off in advance usually.
Original post by DataVenia
You can take 33 days paid holiday per year. The expectation is that 8 of these would be the public holidays, plus 25 other days.

It's not clear from what's written in the conttact whether you would need to specifically book the public holidays off - probably not.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

I know, they should have made it a bit more clear. It would have been simpler if they wrote whether or not public holidays needed to be booked off or are included.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
So you are employed to work public holidays looking at what you have written about this.

Most employers have charged over to working public holidays with adding those onto your annual leave hence why you have got 33 days until you have earned enough to get a few extra days when you usually work there for five years and then again increases after ten years.

You can ask ( book) the public holidays of but remember that you might not be granted them as this will depend on staffing levels for operations reasons for the company.
All holidays must be booked off in advance usually.

So I’d need to book those public holidays off? They’re included within the holiday entitlement but as extra holidays as I’m required to work them?
It's not completely clear. I think it's best if you just wait until you start your job and then ask them, you'll get a clear answer at that point.
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
It's not completely clear. I think it's best if you just wait until you start your job and then ask them, you'll get a clear answer at that point.

I asked a an employee and he mentioned it’s 25 days annual leave plus the 8 bank holidays. But I wouldn’t be required to work the bank holidays. Confusing I know. So it’s basically included in the annual leave.
Original post by Kay_243
I asked a an employee and he mentioned it’s 25 days annual leave plus the 8 bank holidays. But I wouldn’t be required to work the bank holidays. Confusing I know. So it’s basically included in the annual leave.

Well that's an odd way to phrase it because bank holidays are public holidays, so they shouldn't be included. Annual leave is generally for taking off days that you would otherwise be working, whereas in most jobs they don't work public holidays.
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Well that's an odd way to phrase it because bank holidays are public holidays, so they shouldn't be included. Annual leave is generally for taking off days that you would otherwise be working, whereas in most jobs they don't work public holidays.

Yh it’s a weird one. They’re basically saying you will be paid for bank holidays and not need to work them. But your actual annual leave is 25 days.

Why not just put that instead.
Original post by Kay_243
Yh it’s a weird one. They’re basically saying you will be paid for bank holidays and not need to work them. But your actual annual leave is 25 days.

Why not just put that instead.

Sounds like the contract was written by someone who doesn't understand what annual leave is lmaoo. Yeah by the sounds of it you have the standard 25 days that most places do.
Reply 10
Original post by Kay_243
So I’d need to book those public holidays off? They’re included within the holiday entitlement but as extra holidays as I’m required to work them?

If your employer works on those public holidays and they have included these in with your annual leave entitlement then you would have to book them off but if your employer actually takes those public holidays as they come along then you will be still paid for them and have the day off.

Annual leave is calculated at 5.6 weeks per year so if you work 5 day's a week therefore you'll be getting 5.6*5 = 28 days per year.
Check the government website about calculating your holiday entitlement - see below
Entitlement
Almost all people classed as workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday a year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave).
This includes:
agency workers
workers with irregular hours
workers on zero-hours contracts
An employer can include bank holidays as part of statutory annual leave.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) does not affect workers’ entitlement to holiday pay and leave, except for carrying over leave.
Statutory annual leave entitlement
Most workers who work a 5-day week must receive at least 28 days’ paid annual leave a year. This is the equivalent of 5.6 weeks of holiday.
Working part-time
Part-time workers are entitled to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday, but this will amount to fewer than 28 days.
For example, if they work 3 days a week, they must get at least 16.8 days’ leave a year (3 × 5.6).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending