The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I go through phases.. but mostly I'm really thinking that it's gonna be my downfall.. I'm gonna drop a grade I think which I really can't afford cos I have such a high offer to meet for Uni. But what can you do eh!

Messed up my oral a lil I reckon, so that leaves less room for mistakes on the next two papers. I'm doing two texts for the Topics & Texts paper and am going through the books and writing out significant quotes to learn. Also, probably learning some decent argumentative phrases.

Otherwise the big area I need to focus on is grammar because I am terrible at it! Do not understand it (yet!)

What about you?
Hi Im doing Edexcel German too.. but I did coursework so I dont need to do that Topics and Texts paper which I am now very glad of cause it sounds horrid.

I think I screwed up my oral a bit too.. I got asked some real horrible Qs im telling you... in lessons we were given this list of controversial topics - like abtreibung, sterbenhilfe, gleichberechtigung etc etc we picked one to do as our presentation and I was under the impression that after my presentation and discussion, I would get asked general Qs about some of the other topics on that list... so I revised all new vocab for all of them.. but no lucky me got asked about terrorism, the third world and how we should get it out of poverty... i was like arrrgh :eek:

For writing in registers i think the discursive essay is best personally.. Just a matter of learning lots of vocab now.

Does anyone by any chance know where we can get past writing in registers papers?
I mentioned this on another thread, but my German teacher gave me a list of about 30 questions which have come up one year or another. If anyone wants it I can copy them up.
Elusive Moose
I mentioned this on another thread, but my German teacher gave me a list of about 30 questions which have come up one year or another. If anyone wants it I can copy them up.

Just saw that on the other thread hehe.. and yes I'd really appreciate that! Thanks :biggrin:

I'm still tackling Politics revision, but once I'm done with that I've gotta move on to Deutsch.. especially Literature since I need that A!
Reply 5
Hey yeah i'd love the list too! Yeah, i need to do sociology which is the next day argh!!

I did coursework too...:smile: but im doing task-based assignments in exam, as teacher prepared me for them.
Reply 6
I did coursework as well, which I'm glad about.

For revision... I'm just learning useful phrases for the discursive essay and the occasional bit of vocab, and brushing up on the odd grammar aspects.
Reply 7
:dito:

so glad we did coursework, i actually quite enjoyed doing mine (i know that probably sounds a bit sad really) lol

I think the best thing to do is learn discursive phrases, and the odd bit of vocab, as Magic 88 said, as theres no gurarantee as to what could come up so you are better to have a broad range of vocab.

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Did anyone do the interpretation paper instead of the oral? I did and it wasn't actually too bad. It only lasted about 5 minutes instead of learning 15 minutes. I must admit though it wasn't nice being put under pressure to translate so quickly.
tazzalc
Did anyone do the interpretation paper instead of the oral? I did and it wasn't actually too bad. It only lasted about 5 minutes instead of learning 15 minutes. I must admit though it wasn't nice being put under pressure to translate so quickly.

Wow, much respect to you! The only person in my class who did that was a girl who is actually German hehe!
Reply 10
mellow-yellow
Wow, much respect to you! The only person in my class who did that was a girl who is actually German hehe!

O dear, now i'm really worried. Natives shouldn't be able to do a Alevel in their own language - it's cheating.

I did the interpretation too, although it wasn't too bad. You just have to learn some set phrases and adapt them (but of course they didn't seem to come up on mine)

Which one did you get? Mine was about a job interview in a hotel but some other people seem to get a much harder one about staying in a hotel.

Which do you guys think is easier for Unit 6 - the discursive essays or the task-based assignments? I'm not sure which to do, i think i'll decide on the day but it seems the discursive essays cna often be rather random and I'm never sure where to go with them where as with the TBAs you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing. Maybe it's harder to get some good vocab and structures into the TBAs? Any thoughts?

Nel x
Nel48
O dear, now i'm really worried. Natives shouldn't be able to do a Alevel in their own language - it's cheating.

I did the interpretation too, although it wasn't too bad. You just have to learn some set phrases and adapt them (but of course they didn't seem to come up on mine)

Which one did you get? Mine was about a job interview in a hotel but some other people seem to get a much harder one about staying in a hotel.

Which do you guys think is easier for Unit 6 - the discursive essays or the task-based assignments? I'm not sure which to do, i think i'll decide on the day but it seems the discursive essays cna often be rather random and I'm never sure where to go with them where as with the TBAs you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing. Maybe it's harder to get some good vocab and structures into the TBAs? Any thoughts?

Nel x

Personally I would always go for the discursive essays.. mainly cos as I've said I enjoy writing essays so thinking of how to structure it and thinking of ideas are not normally problems for me (apart from lack of vocab!), plus I've always had a thing against writing letters since the boredom of doing that for GCSE! So consequently I have absolutely no vocab for that kinda thing, so it's just easier to do the discursive essays.

But really it all depends on what you find easier or at least the least difficult! I guess one good thing about the TBAs is that often you are provided with a source so it kinda prompts your thoughts and you can steal some of their vocab :p:
Reply 12
Nel48

Nel x

I actually got the one about the hotel and tourists visiting from the USA. It actually wasn't too bad but one of my classmates got the other one about the job and he found it pretty hard.
Reply 13
Elusive Moose

yeh that would be really useful if possible :smile:. has anyone managed to find/does any1 have any chapter summaries from ich fuehl mich so fifty-fifty? i really dont wana hav to re-read the book!!
the interpreting seemed quite good, sort of enjoyed it in a really geeky way but you know. very scared for thursday exam, what a nightmare. trying to avoid doing listening papers, not the brightest idea but i'm loving some of the odd german podcasts i've found, absolutely top.
not sure how else to revise, been through all topic work and done some vocab but... god knows if any of it is remaining in my head!

i'm scared! i don't give a damn about how the french exam goes on the 27th but this german one i really want to do well on!
Reply 15
May as well ask on this thread, seing as we're all doing the same:
I keep gettting confused between the subjunctive for the reported spreech, and the subjunctive conditional (is that what it's called :confused: )
Could somebody please clarify? (I can't do umlauts, sorry)

To say: "It seemed as though his future was assured" you would say
Es schien, als ob seine Zukunft gesichert waere

And "He said that his future was assured" (but I don't believe him..) what would you say? All I have is:
Er sagte, seine Zukunft gesichert sei. (or is it waere?)

If not, then I am confused. To say "he believed he was ill" (even if he isn't), you would say "Er glaubte, dass er krank sei", right? Not waere?
For anyone doing the Literature part of the Topics & Texts paper.. I'm so worried that I'm not going to understand the question! So does anyone have any words/phrases which are common on those kinda questions? Or any tips?!
Reply 17
Queen_A
May as well ask on this thread, seing as we're all doing the same:
I keep gettting confused between the subjunctive for the reported spreech, and the subjunctive conditional (is that what it's called :confused: )
Could somebody please clarify? (I can't do umlauts, sorry)

To say: "It seemed as though his future was assured" you would say
Es schien, als ob seine Zukunft gesichert waere

And "He said that his future was assured" (but I don't believe him..) what would you say? All I have is:
Er sagte, seine Zukunft gesichert sei. (or is it waere?)

If not, then I am confused. To say "he believed he was ill" (even if he isn't), you would say "Er glaubte, dass er krank sei", right? Not waere?

No idea, sorry :redface: . I think the first one (it seemed as though) is right, but I don't know whether it's sei/ware.
Does anyone know how to say something is a 'turning point' in German? Like, there is a shift after this point, kinda thing. Danke schon! :biggrin:
*Katie*
No idea, sorry :redface: . I think the first one (it seemed as though) is right, but I don't know whether it's sei/ware.
Does anyone know how to say something is a 'turning point' in German? Like, there is a shift after this point, kinda thing. Danke schon! :biggrin:

"Die Wende" is a turning point and often refers to reunification. Or I think "der Wendepunkt" also means turning point :biggrin:
Good Luck to all of you guys doing German A2 that will be me next year.. hopefully!:smile: lol im scared already! lol id LOVE to do the traslating option.. it would be so brill.. i hate having to learn looads of prelearnt stuff . In languages i work better by being put on the spot. Im just praying now i pass German coz i luv the subject so much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending