The Student Room Group

Is British English a dying language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by navarre
American English words/spellings in exams would likely not be scrutinized.

I see what you did there.
Reply 21
Original post by lyrical_lie
There were two little girls who lived next door to my aunty and they had american twangs to their accents even thought they lived in Scotland and their parents are Scottish my mum said she thought it was because they watched american cartoons. And I know what you mean about some Americans not knowing about where English is spoken they asked if I spoke it in Scotland and said my English was really good when I worked there. :facepalm:

But I did teach them new words like rubbish, which if you think about it it's a great word so many uses :awesome: also they all loved my accent so nobody made fun of it. Except the way I said the word poor. They said it like pour. Good times I miss working there.

You should have taught them the word "bloody" :colonhash:

Original post by Jonah Ramone
Let's bomb America and make everything better. (Pronounced betta.)

haha! :lol:

It should be "bettha"! :tongue:
Reply 22
Sad to see but yes I think with the waymany spellings are shortened in American English many people, through their laziness, are prefering to use American English even Beitish people! Extremely sad to see.
Reply 23
I think British English is still strong. Never heard anyone say mom, elevator, subway, eraser, acetaminophen, affirmative action, bangs, baseboard, sidewalk, burglarize, cellphone, highway, downtown, dumpster etc in this country. The whole list is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_Kingdom
I do however think that American spelling is taking over. When it comes to international things like science words tend to be standardised to to the American form eg sulphur to sulfur and s is gradually being replaced with z thanks to auto correct telling me that "standardised" is wrong.
Original post by SR255
I think British English is still strong. Never heard anyone say mom, elevator, subway, eraser, acetaminophen, affirmative action, bangs, baseboard, sidewalk, burglarize, cellphone, highway, downtown, dumpster etc in this country. The whole list is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_Kingdom
I do however think that American spelling is taking over. When it comes to international things like science words tend to be standardised to to the American form eg sulphur to sulfur and s is gradually being replaced with z thanks to auto correct telling me that "standardised" is wrong.

Just FYI, Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Office etc. all have British English dictionaries which can be downloaded/enabled.
Reply 25
Original post by slickrick666999
English is the most widely spoken language in the world. It's not dying at all. More people learn English every-year. It's the worlds finest language, from he worlds finest people. The English :smile:

I'm not asking if the English language is dying- it evidently isn't, as it's the most successful language in history. I'm asking if the quirky, unique dialect spoken on this island is being forgotten and replaced.

Original post by Harrie Lyons
Also we have the second highest amount of speakers: Indian English, Nigerian English, doesn't count because its not native so they always have to look to us.

Indian English and Nigerian English have developed into their own fully fledged dialects, with their own words, pronunciation and sometimes grammar. If you think Nigerian English sounds anything like British English, I can only assume you've never met a Nigerian person in your life.

Original post by VitaCoco
Us lovely English Canadian folk still tend to represent British English - not all of us - but I certainly think most of us do use British English. In fact British English is our "official" form, it's what all Government publications are printed in, giving you an example.

I mainly use British English, but I follow the American English for words like recognize and realize, as that's how I was taught back home before moving here to England. I do use the British English spellings in my schoolwork over here, but when I'm typing online or chatting on IM, I don't think about and therefore instinctively use the -ize spellings.

I can't distinguish Canadian and US accents (apart from 'about')... I know in Canada it's much worse than here in Britain, with very little in the way of indigenous TV shows and films produced. Also, there are so many Canadians living in the US and vice versa.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
The French are carrying it on, by the sounds of it. English won't even be a majority language in America soon anyway, much less the South West, which you mention. I went around California and there was Spanish-language stuff everywhere. And when I went to China, they all speak English with an American accent, because the kids watch a lot of American TV. Language is never a static thing. We're flying the British English flag down here in rural Kent, though.
Reply 27
Original post by navarre
I can't distinguish Canadian and US accents (apart from 'about')... I know in Canada it's much worse than here in Britain, with very little in the way of indigenous TV shows and films produced. Also, there are so many Canadians living in the US and vice versa.

But we don't just have U.S. TV in Canada, there are a lot of British shows on over there, and some shows from our English-speaking Antipodean friends.

British shows do well in Canada, as we get your humour. (Look I spell humour correctly). :wink:
Reply 28
I've got a friend who's never been to the US but his accent sounds very American sometimes.
Reply 29
It does not bother me in the slightest (apart from the sulphur one and that's only because it changed halfway through school and my pedantic teacher decided to enforce it).

It does annoy me when I am typing on word spell it right, get that dreaded red line, right click it and it just replaces an s with a z.

As for British English dying out, I don't think it is. A few spellings have been changed and a few words have been introduced. It has a way to go yet.
I think everything about Britain has been dying since 1945.
Reply 31
Original post by navarre

some didn't even know we spoke English in England

Wow, really?
Original post by daisydaffodil
I don't think it's a dying language but it's continuously altering, being changed and being used in varying forms across our country and across the world.

I think one day though - as it always has been - English will have been altered so much that we would only vaguely recognize it as English, just as we currently see with Old English.

Yeah, language changes constantly.

I imagine I'll get even more simplified until we're using only punctuation.
Reply 33
but 99% of words are engiish only a few are american like butt most of the words i have just written are enlgish and will be of anyone speakignthe language
Original post by navarre
I'm not asking if the English language is dying- it evidently isn't, as it's the most successful language in history. I'm asking if the quirky, unique dialect spoken on this island is being forgotten and replaced.

Indian English and Nigerian English have developed into their own fully fledged dialects, with their own words, pronunciation and sometimes grammar. If you think Nigerian English sounds anything like British English, I can only assume you've never met a Nigerian person in your life.

I'm not saying its the same, I'm saying until it has its own native speakers who have communicated from childhood and talk to their mother exclusively in Nigerian English, its still just English spoken badly. It's like saying you've got German English or French English or Chinese English. You can't have a dialect unless you have native speakers, preferably monolingual or IMO. I don't why 'Nigerian English is a dialect and 'Chinese English' just because the former is in the commenwealth. Is English french a dialect of French: avay vou un poo duh pan si vou play lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
I'm not saying its the same, I'm saying until it has its own native speakers who have communicated from childhood and talk to their mother exclusively in Nigerian English, its still just English spoken badly. It's like saying you've got German English or French English or Chinese English. You can't have a dialect unless you have native speakers, preferably monolingual or IMO. I don't why 'Nigerian English is a dialect and 'Chinese English' just because the former is in the commenwealth. Is English french a dialect of French: avay vou un poo duh pan si vou play lol

Wow, what a close minded thing to say. Nigerian English is a perfectly legitimate form of the language, and being different does not make it spoken 'badly'. English has no official organization to regulate the language; therefore, it's inevitable that the English used by a Londoner will be different from that of a Lagos schoolteacher.

Of course you can learn a dialect without being a native speaker. My gf, an Afghan, speaks British English very clearly, from pronunciation to vocab. A dialect is just a variety of a language... I'm kinda shocked you don't know this.
Original post by navarre
Wow, what a close minded thing to say. Nigerian English is a perfectly legitimate form of the language, and being different does not make it spoken 'badly'. English has no official organization to regulate the language; therefore, it's inevitable that the English used by a Londoner will be different from that of a Lagos schoolteacher.

Of course you can learn a dialect without being a native speaker. My gf, an Afghan, speaks British English very clearly, from pronunciation to vocab. A dialect is just a variety of a language... I'm kinda shocked you don't know this.

I'm not saying u can't learn a dialect, I'm saying ITS not its own dialect unless IT has got native speakers (even if it did have 'regulation' it wouldn't do much, as it doesn't with any other language) if there were twenty million people or even a hundred thousand speaking it natively I'd be quite happy to call it a dialect. I grew up around Greeks speaking with a unique accent and vocabulary like souvlaki (a dish) and xenos (generally non-Greek but with many colourful shades of meaning lol) but I wouldn't call it a dialect cuz none of them were native, their kids speak with totally London accents though that might throw in a Greek word if they are sure u know what they mean. Are u a fellow Christian btw?
(edited 10 years ago)
Maybe it would help if English comedies were funny.
Pretty sure that in the EU countries, when they study English, they study British English. I went through years of sitting bored in English classes in Spain but they were undoubtedly classes of British - rather than American - English. This is probably for the same reason in the US people learn Latin American Spanish rather than mainland Spanish.

An annoying thing about English though is that it has no organisation to standardise/regulate grammatical rules and spelling, such as the RAE for Spanish. It means that English is particularly subject to fluidity and change, as basically what determines what is acceptable is usage. A lot of my teachers didn't understand this and created distinctions that simply weren't there. It also makes it hard to explain some of the things we do, I can often find myself saying "I don't know why, that's just how it is..." :dontknow:

But as is, no, I don't think British English will die out. Maybe those that use it will further reduce as a group, but I imagine that what will happen is that we will eventually have an English that is used in both the US and the UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
I'm not saying u can't learn a dialect, I'm saying ITS not its own dialect unless IT has got native speakers (even if it did have 'regulation' it wouldn't do much, as it doesn't with any other language) if there were twenty million people or even a hundred thousand speaking it natively I'd be quite happy to call it a dialect. I grew up around Greeks speaking with a unique accent and vocabulary like souvlaki (a dish) and xenos (generally non-Greek but with many colourful shades of meaning lol) but I wouldn't call it a dialect cuz none of them were native, their kids speak with totally London accents though that might throw in a Greek word if they are sure u know what they mean. Are u a fellow Christian btw?

According to this link, there are 4 million native speakers of Nigerian English. Nonetheless, even if there weren't, it would still be a dialect of English.

Here's a list of English dialects- and yes, both first language and second language dialects are included.

And yes, I am a Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest