The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele university

Hi, I was just wondering whether i would be able to take my car to Keele university? im abit confused!:colondollar:
You can but you may not be able to park on campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
where else would i park:s-smilie:?
I wouldn't know, I only know that as my sister went there. During 3rd year she took her car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by potato potato
Hi, I was just wondering whether i would be able to take my car to Keele university? im abit confused!:colondollar:

It depends if you are staying on campus or not. If you are in the halls of residence then you wont be able to have a car, but if you are travelling to the university then you will get a parking permit.
Reply 5
I asked the same question when I went to Keele open day as I drive, and someone told me that you can park at nearby pubs if you get permission from the owner and pay them a small fee :smile: If I end up going to Keele I'm going to see how I cope without my car first so I can possibly save some money!
Reply 6
okay:smile: let me know how you get on with it!
Reply 7
They introduced a new parking permit rule thing this year- you apply for a permit and get allocated a parking area.
such as Halls car parking or SU car park etc- You can only park where your permit allows you to.
You can have a car in halls - I know a lot of my friends in hawthorns had cars.
To be honest you don't really need one as there i a free bus service every 10 minutes around campus.
And a student fare for the bus service into town isn't expensive either ( same 10min service).
Reply 8
Original post by RedHeadGirl
They introduced a new parking permit rule thing this year- you apply for a permit and get allocated a parking area.
such as Halls car parking or SU car park etc- You can only park where your permit allows you to.
You can have a car in halls - I know a lot of my friends in hawthorns had cars.
To be honest you don't really need one as there i a free bus service every 10 minutes around campus.
And a student fare for the bus service into town isn't expensive either ( same 10min service).

When was this introduced?

Im starting at Keele later this year and was told on the open day (and on the website) that the only people who could have a permit are those who live off campus or people who have placements off the campus.

Also, do you know how to apply for a permit ect..? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by tmmd
When was this introduced?

Im starting at Keele later this year and was told on the open day (and on the website) that the only people who could have a permit are those who live off campus or people who have placements off the campus.

Also, do you know how to apply for a permit ect..? :smile:

You apply for a permit online, and anyone can apply.

However, they only have a limited number of permits which they can allocate so the priority goes to those who live off campus or people like medical students who need to get to placements.

Due to the number of people who apply, these are pretty much the only people who will actually get a permit, and a lot of people won't actually be granted one.

Last year, the most expensive permit was £50 for the SU carpark, and they go down in price for the smaller carparks and those that are further out.

I'm not sure how you apply, but you'll get a lot of emails about it once you're definitely getting into keele in august on your keele email. I think the majority of my emails were about parking permits in the first few weeks, and I don't even have a car!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by SaySaam
You apply for a permit online, and anyone can apply.

However, they only have a limited number of permits which they can allocate so the priority goes to those who live off campus or people like medical students who need to get to placements.

Due to the number of people who apply, these are pretty much the only people who will actually get a permit, and a lot of people won't actually be granted one.

Last year, the most expensive permit was £50 for the SU carpark, and they go down in price for the smaller carparks and those that are further out.

I'm not sure how you apply, but you'll get a lot of emails about it once you're definitely getting into keele in august on your keele email. I think the majority of my emails were about parking permits in the first few weeks, and I don't even have a car!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks :biggrin:

I am coming by car because im going to be living off campus (quite a few miles away) so i will get one. Im guessing your supposed to apply when the place is finalised then.

I know you dont have a car, but do you know how easy it is to park at keele (the student car parks seemed smaller than the staff ones which is kind of weird).
Reply 11
Original post by tmmd
Ok, thanks :biggrin:

I am coming by car because im going to be living off campus (quite a few miles away) so i will get one. Im guessing your supposed to apply when the place is finalised then.

I know you dont have a car, but do you know how easy it is to park at keele (the student car parks seemed smaller than the staff ones which is kind of weird).

Yeah, if I remember rightly last year the emails started coming through the first couple of weeks after results day, so make sure you check your emails fairly regularly as soon as you get sent the login details. A lot of people missed out because they didn't get the emails in time to apply.

A lot of my friends drove in last year, and I can safely say that parking is a nightmare. Wednesday's aren't too bad, because campus isn't usually as busy. But any other day, you will need to arrive at least 15 minutes early just to find a parking space. There are some smaller carparks dotted around the residential areas that are fairly well hidden and not many people know about so you could find some spaces there. But beware, the blue goblins are out in force, and will definitely hand parking tickets out if you're in the wrong zone. I know they usually visited Lindsay on a Thursday and Friday, so it was safe to park there the rest of the time.

I think parking might be free on the weekends though...
Parking is free on weekends.
And I have to agree about the 15 mins early to park suggestion- I don't drive either but have friends that do.
Also never park in a zone you were not allocated, or if you're going in the parking area next to the SU where you have to pay for a ticket- do! They will give you a hefty penalty every single time, and it isn't worth it. There isn't a particular day they don't check either- went in to study During Easter holidays with a friend and he insisted on not getting a ticket, but he was fined every single day.
Reply 13
Hello there,

Just to clarify on the car parking issue:

Parking is only available to all students resident off campus. Students residing on campus are not permitted to bring a car onto the campus unless they are disabled, either permanently or temporarily, or are studying certain specified courses which require attendance on placements off campus. Students with temporary mobility issues must make application for dispensation by application to the Centre for Learning and Student Support. You must have valid driving documents before applying to bring a vehicle onto campus.

If you would like to read further, please use the following links:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/accommodation/prospectivestudents/livingoncampus/carparking/
http://www.keele.ac.uk/parking/

For most updated information, please call Security on 01782 733004.

I hope this answers your query.

Thank you,

Kristina.
Recruitment, Outreach and Access
Keele University

Quick Reply

Latest