The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Ask a current Keele University student!

Hi!

I am a student at Keele University in my 2nd year of Adult Nursing.

I am also a Student Ambassador for the university so I thought it might be a nice idea to set up this thread so people can ask questions easily! :smile:

So, fire away!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi!

I am also a Student Ambassador for the university so I thought it might be a nice idea to set up this thread so people can ask questions easily! :smile:

So, fire away!

What is your favourite thing about being at keele university?

Why did you choose do study Adult Nursing? :smile:

Do you have any tips for students who may be a bit worried about their first year of university? :bump:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
What is your favourite thing about being at keele university?

Why did you choose do study Adult Nursing? :smile:

Do you have any tips for students who may be a bit worried about their first year of university? :bump

My favorite thing about Keele would be the fact that campus offers everything you need from banks to chemists to beautiful walks ect! I loved having all that on my doorstep when I lived on campus!

I chose to study Adult Nursing because even when I was little, all I wanted to do was help and care for people. The job is so different day in, day out which is another positive for me as I don’t enjoy living the same thing every day! There’s also so many opportunities that can come with nursing and nurses will always be needed! :smile:

I was so nervous to start my course. But the one thing that I did that I found really helped was that I just got stuck in with as much as I possible could! And it helps to accept that you’ll never know everything in nursing because things are constantly changing!
Hi! I'm not sure if you'll know this but I thought I'd ask anyway: do you know what programming language students use in the Computer Science course at Keele? I can't find anything on the website about it and I'm not sure how to find out. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by thewisegirl
Hi! I'm not sure if you'll know this but I thought I'd ask anyway: do you know what programming language students use in the Computer Science course at Keele? I can't find anything on the website about it and I'm not sure how to find out. Thanks! :smile:

Hi there! I’m not too sure what you mean here. Are you able to elaborate a little for me so that I can understand and forward your query on to the appropriate people who would be able to find out for you?
Original post by thewisegirl

Hi, In computer science at Keele the programming language used is Java and the IDE the university recommends in most modules that require it is NetBeans. I can only speak up to the second year of the course but unlike other university's Keele doesn't teach C/C++ (so if you came to Keele you'd likely have to study this in your own time unless they do anything with it in the third year) Keele also doesn't require students to have much knowledge about Java programming beforehand as when you start in first year the module "programming 1" explains things as if the students have never touched Java.
Original post by therandomperson
Hi, In computer science at Keele the programming language used is Java and the IDE the university recommends in most modules that require it is NetBeans. I can only speak up to the second year of the course but unlike other university's Keele doesn't teach C/C++ (so if you came to Keele you'd likely have to study this in your own time unless they do anything with it in the third year) Keele also doesn't require students to have much knowledge about Java programming beforehand as when you start in first year the module "programming 1" explains things as if the students have never touched Java.

Do you know what version of Java they use for the computer science course?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know what version of Java they use for the computer science course?

:dontknow: Whatever version works with Netbeans 8.2
Reply 8
Hi!

So, fire away!

Hi, I’m also due to begin studying Adult Nursing in September but with a Foundation Year. I was wondering if you give me any more information on what the timetable is like in the Foundation year? I’ll be a mature student with 2 young children so trying to plan ahead as much as possible :smile:

Thanks
Jenna
Original post by Jenna_14
Hi, I’m also due to begin studying Adult Nursing in September but with a Foundation Year. I was wondering if you give me any more information on what the timetable is like in the Foundation year? I’ll be a mature student with 2 young children so trying to plan ahead as much as possible :smile:

Thanks
Jenna

Hi there Jenna!

I also did the health foundation year at Keele. I commenced this in 2016! I have had a maternity leave of absence just after starting my first year of nursing which I started in 2018 and have been studying with a child ever since March 2019 so I know exactly how you feel when it comes to studying with children and wanting to be prepared!

When I did the foundation year (you have to consider that time tables may have changed a lot since then, especially due to the current situation), every student had Wednesday afternoon off, so on Wednesdays we were done with lectures from 11am. The tricky one was a Thursday because we started at 9am and then had a large gap in the middle of the day, and then we had a lecture 5pm-7pm. This was what a lot of people found hard as it does run until late. Monday’s and Tuesdays and Fridays were generally quite dull days with the odd gap in the middle here and there! There is a lot of content to fill on the foundation year so it can be very busy at times!

Obviously I can’t tell you what the time tables are due to be like as the university are still sorting through everything like that. Don’t forget that some lectures still may be done through online delivery by the time you start, depending on this ever changing situation!

I hope this helps you a little? If you have anymore questions then please do ask! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi, I'm starting at Keele in September on the Adult Nursing course, and have a million questions. I'm a mature student with four children but luckily I live about ten minutes walk from the CEC so am not too worried about timetables.

I've been wondering about how our first placements might be affected by the backlog of placements needed for the current first and second year student nurses. Is it generally quite competitive to get onto a placement or do the university organise it and tell us where we're being sent?
Original post by Sam_G.
Hi, I'm starting at Keele in September on the Adult Nursing course, and have a million questions. I'm a mature student with four children but luckily I live about ten minutes walk from the CEC so am not too worried about timetables.

I've been wondering about how our first placements might be affected by the backlog of placements needed for the current first and second year student nurses. Is it generally quite competitive to get onto a placement or do the university organise it and tell us where we're being sent?

Hi there!

That’s really handy for you isn’t it being so close! :smile:

So I can only advise on the base of the information we have been received as a cohort! You don’t get to choose your placements. The locations of your placements for the 3 year programme are actually allocated at the start of the course, however, your placements are only released every year to you so you only get given 1 year at a time. If you’re having trouble on a placement then there is opportunity for this to be changed, but the reasons have to be good! The placement you can choose is the elective placement which you go out into at the end of every academic year! The placements that are available to you for the elective is a lot more extensive in third year. The are some things such as A&E and neonatal care which you can’t do as an elective in first year, but you can in third year!

In terms of backlog of placement, I am unsure as the university are still working on the plan for the 3 cohorts next year. In terms of a 2nd year student, we haven’t missed out on any placements/placement hours as such because those who couldn’t opt in have gone on a theory route that still counts towards there clinical hours.

I hope this helps in some way? As everyone says, the situation is ever changing so we just have to wait for kore information!

If you have any more questions then please don’t be afraid to ask! Even if there is a million! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
That's super, thank you. I've been chatting with a couple of others who are starting in September and they'll be grateful for that info too. I've been looking for a Facebook group for the Sept 2020 cohort but there isn't one yet. Would love to meet some more folks who will be in our class!
Hi, I've got food allergies so have been given permission from the disability support team to have a mini fridge. I also read somewhere on the Keele website that I should contact the accommodation team before I buy one. Since I've already contacted Disability Support do I still need to contact the accommodation team?
Original post by MariaTash
Hi, I've got food allergies so have been given permission from the disability support team to have a mini fridge. I also read somewhere on the Keele website that I should contact the accommodation team before I buy one. Since I've already contacted Disability Support do I still need to contact the accommodation team?

Hi there!

Yes I would still contact the accommodations office to let them know in case the disability support team haven’t relayed the message! Just a simple phone call or e-mail would be just fine! Their phone number to contact them is - 01782 733065 and their e-mail address is [email protected] :smile:
Original post by Sam_G.
That's super, thank you. I've been chatting with a couple of others who are starting in September and they'll be grateful for that info too. I've been looking for a Facebook group for the Sept 2020 cohort but there isn't one yet. Would love to meet some more folks who will be in our class!

Hi there!

That’s not a problem! Please bare in mind though that situations are ever changing so the information I have may change by the time you start! I can’t see a facebook group as of yet, however, there is a ‘Keele University Freshers 2020 - 2021’ group that you may be able to locate some fellow student nurses on!?

If you have any more questions then please don’t hesitate to ask! I’ll answer everything to the best of my abilities! :smile:
Hi there!

Yes I would still contact the accommodations office to let them know in case the disability support team haven’t relayed the message! Just a simple phone call or e-mail would be just fine! Their phone number to contact them is - 01782 733065 and their e-mail address is [email protected] :smile:

Okay, great. Thank you.
Reply 17
was keele your first choice
Original post by Aryz
was keele your first choice

It was yes!

I actually confirmed my offer for Keele almost as soon as I got it and I had also never been to an open day! Just from the pictures of the place, I knew it was exactly what I wanted and when I got here, it ended up being so much more!

It was a risk as I also had never seen the accommodation I had applied to live in in real life but I loved it!
Reply 19
It was yes!

I actually confirmed my offer for Keele almost as soon as I got it and I had also never been to an open day! Just from the pictures of the place, I knew it was exactly what I wanted and when I got here, it ended up being so much more!

It was a risk as I also had never seen the accommodation I had applied to live in in real life but I loved it!

Ive currently doing a levels in media photography and history but im not sure how the foundation year will be? will i find the subjects hard since i havent done science since gcse and i want to know more about keeles location amnemities stuff like that

Quick Reply

Latest