The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

I've failed the 1st year twice, could really do with some sound advice thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Fife91
Well thanks you all for the advice, i will let you know of my outcome to this whether i did get granted the retakes and therefore outcome of results, or rejected by the appeal and the descison of my future i made from there. Hopefully this information will help anyone in the future if there ever caught up in a situation similar to this.

10 years have now passed!:eek: Wow, time flies!

So why have I come back to this post after so much time?
Well, for one, to give some advice, lessons learned, and hope to those who need it, and for two, a way for me to reflect on the challenges of the past.

In short, yes, I did get my mechanical engineering degree after failing the first year twice, but not in the way you'd expect.

If you're reading this and thinking of quitting, or if you find yourself struggling and asking yourself, Is this really for me? Instead, ask yourself, "Am I really interested in engineering?" If yes, stick with it! You don't need to discover your passion, your purpose, or your reason for being; as long as you have an interest and feel connected to the topic in some way, you'll do it! I can tell you it's a fantastic career with endless opportunities.

When I failed, I felt exactly the same, but I never gave up! I overcame my struggles and persevered.

I'm now a proud senior manufacturing engineer working for a prestigious engineering company, and as of recently, I've also set up my own engineering consultancy business to help manufacturers level up. It's amazing what you can achieve by overcoming your struggles.

So what did I do after failing the first year twice?

Rather than rabbiting on, I'll break it down into key points.

1. I stuck with it! I knew I had an interest in engineering and wasn't about to let the flame burn out or let anyone else convince me otherwise.

2. I explored my options and chose to take a different path that worked for me.

3. I went back to work in the industry as a machinist/operator and negotiated day release to study for a Mechanical Engineering HNC part-time.

4. A couple of years later, I passed my HNC and then started a Foundation Degree in Integrated Engineering (Mechanical) part-time. (still working in the industry)

5. A few more years later, I passed my foundation degree and embarked on a mechanical engineering (top-up) degree part-time. (abruptly swapping companies as some didn't share my part-time ambition)

6. After 5 years of part-time study working 4 days a week in the industry and funding some of it myself, I was finally awarded a BEng (Hons) Degree in Mechanical Engineering. The day I found out literally brought me to tears. I've never felt so proud.

Point 2 was a key turning point for me; it's only now, with hindsight, that I realise I was suffering from depression, chronic anxiety, and limiting self-beliefs. I unknowingly chose a path that was more compatible with my mental state. That's not to say it was a bad alternative; if anything, it was quite the opposite. I have since dealt with my personal struggles by seeing a therapist, reading self-help books, and being open about how I feel with the right people. I don't regret my path, as I believe tough times make for resilient people, but if I could go back, I would've been open and honest with the right people about my personal struggles (state of mind, how I feel) rather than my external struggles (failing the course).

If you're struggling, my advice would be: don't panic; ask yourself if you're really interested in the topic of study; if yes, explore other options to get what you want. Don't listen to those who say it's not for you; stick with it, no matter what! You'll be surprised at what path you can think of if you allow yourself to explore the many options available.

After years of being in the engineering industry and having started my own business, university education is good, but it is not the be-all and end-all. Universities will push the idea that high grades equal good jobs; this is simply untrue! The university is basically a business, and it's in their interest to have high scores from their students to attract more applicants, thus more money! With that said, if you're struggling with achieving the right grades or have failed a module, don't worry; in the grand scheme of things, all that really matters is that you persevered and achieved what you set out to get.

Lastly, don't give up; look after your mental state of mind and persevere. If you do this, you'll achieve your goals and more.
(edited 7 months ago)
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Hi @Fife91
Thanks so much for taking time to share your story with everyone. This was really inspiring and heart warming to read.
Best wishes,
Shaun
Original post by Fife91
I've repeated the first year of my course twice and have failed again. I tried hard to get my act together during the end of the last semester of my second year and managed to pass one module. I've received my overall results for the year and it says i have no retake entitlements left. I really do enjoy my course and don't want to give it up, I'm one who is easily distracted but despite this I've chosen to give up my summer to study hard for the august resits. Only problem is I need to appeal to take the resits in august's. Has anyone ever been in this situation, and do i stand a chance of an appeal please let me know your thoughts thanks.

Which school are you?
Reply 43
Original post by KimsonGared.
Which school are you?

Hi,

What do you mean by school?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending