The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Direct Entry to Second Year

" Entry to second year

For direct entry to second year the minimum requirements must be exceeded, including the following:

A Levels: A*AA required in one sitting, to include Chemistry and Mathematics, or AAA in one sitting, to include Chemistry and Mathematics and one of Further Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and Geology."

Sorry if this is a stupid question. This information is on the Edinburgh website for MChem (5 year course), id like to go to edinburgh but for the same course elsewhere its only 4 years which id prefer.
Due to the paragraph ive copied and pasted it seem like if i get these alevels i can skip the first year? Is this correct or do i have to do the first year but with a guarantee i'll get into the second year?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S F
" Entry to second year

For direct entry to second year the minimum requirements must be exceeded, including the following:

A Levels: A*AA required in one sitting, to include Chemistry and Mathematics, or AAA in one sitting, to include Chemistry and Mathematics and one of Further Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and Geology."

Sorry if this is a stupid question. This information is on the Edinburgh website for MChem (5 year course), id like to go to edinburgh but for the same course elsewhere its only 4 years which id prefer.
Due to the paragraph ive copied and pasted it seem like if i get these alevels i can skip the first year? Is this correct or do i have to do the first year but with a guarantee i'll get into the second year?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because Scottish students normally go to university at the age of 17, Scottish courses are a year longer than the rest of the UK. Applicants who have done a year above the age of 17 in the rest of the country can go direct into the second year without completing the first year, if their grades are high enough, as indicated here.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Because Scottish students normally go to university at the age of 17, Scottish courses are a year longer than the rest of the UK. Applicants who have done a year above the age of 17 in the rest of the country can go direct into the second year without completing the first year, if their grades are high enough, as indicated here.

That used to be the case, a long time ago.. Nowadays, most people stay on, allowing people who haven't got the Highers they need to take them in 6th year. For those who did well in their Highers previously, they can opt for an easy year (they get unconditionals) or choose to go for 2nd year entry/English unis which entails taking Advanced Highers.

It's mostly because Highers are the entry requirements for first year, so doing anything at a more difficult level aka Advanced Highers or the A2 part of A-levels means you've covered most of the first year material. Thus, entitling you to bypass it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
That used to be the case, a long time ago.. Nowadays, most people stay on, allowing people who haven't got the Highers they need to take them in 6th year. For those who did well in their Highers previously, they can opt for an easy year (they get unconditionals) or choose to go for 2nd year entry/English unis which entails taking Advanced Highers.

It's mostly because Highers are the entry requirements for first year, so doing anything at a more difficult level aka Advanced Highers or the A2 part of A-levels means you've covered most of the first year material. Thus, entitling you to bypass it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I am old. It's not my country, so I don't deal with the ins and outs these days. Thanks for the update.
[QUOTE="Princepieman;53577335"]That used to be the case, a long time ago.. Nowadays, most people stay on, allowing people who haven't got the Highers they need to take them in 6th year. For those who did well in their Highers previously, they can opt for an easy year (they get unconditionals) or choose to go for 2nd year entry/English unis which entails taking Advanced Highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, just stumbled on this thread, as daughter has been offered entry into 2nd year for Neuroscience at Edinburgh, but 1st year at St Andrews (unconditionals both as she has her A levels already wtih AAA). From what you are saying, it sounds like she might get bored if she chooses 1st year entry in St Andrews as she might already have covered the material during her A2 year?

Would the fact that St Andrews is not offering 2nd year entry meaning that their entry requirements are higher than Edinburgh perhaps and that AAA would be their normal offer?

This is very confusing!
[QUOTE="cora06140;54224995"]
Original post by Princepieman

Hi, just stumbled on this thread, as daughter has been offered entry into 2nd year for Neuroscience at Edinburgh, but 1st year at St Andrews (unconditionals both as she has her A levels already wtih AAA). From what you are saying, it sounds like she might get bored if she chooses 1st year entry in St Andrews as she might already have covered the material during her A2 year?

Would the fact that St Andrews is not offering 2nd year entry meaning that their entry requirements are higher than Edinburgh perhaps and that AAA would be their normal offer?

This is very confusing!

I have several friends who did direct 2nd year entry, most of them found it challenging but were able to cope and still have free time and get good grades (but they were very bright students as well). You might be bored if you do choose 1st year entry as it might overlap with what you have learned around, although for most people they will take 1st year modules on courses they have not studied at A level as well which should keep things more interesting.

I personally recommend 2nd year entry if you are offered it as it saves on tuition, allows you to just "get on with it" and not feel like you've wasted a year. If you really love uni that much you could always do a 1 year masters.

2nd year also doesn't count towards your degree classification so you do still have some adjustment before honours years.

For reference I studied Medicine at St Andrews which is a 3 year course that is very similar to a direct 2nd year entry course and I found it appropriate, I personally wouldn't have liked a 4 year course (aka medicine with foundation year).
[QUOTE="Okorange;54226375"]
Original post by cora06140

I have several friends who did direct 2nd year entry, most of them found it challenging but were able to cope and still have free time and get good grades (but they were very bright students as well). You might be bored if you do choose 1st year entry as it might overlap with what you have learned around, although for most people they will take 1st year modules on courses they have not studied at A level as well which should keep things more interesting.

I personally recommend 2nd year entry if you are offered it as it saves on tuition, allows you to just "get on with it" and not feel like you've wasted a year. If you really love uni that much you could always do a 1 year masters.

2nd year also doesn't count towards your degree classification so you do still have some adjustment before honours years.

For reference I studied Medicine at St Andrews which is a 3 year course that is very similar to a direct 2nd year entry course and I found it appropriate, I personally wouldn't have liked a 4 year course (aka medicine with foundation year).

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful :smile:
Hi,

I have applied for second year entry. Just wondering, would my application be considered for First Year entry if my application for Second Year was unsuccessful. Anyone who can answer this?

Thanks
Bump
Reply 9
Original post by sammygmfc
Hi,

I have applied for second year entry. Just wondering, would my application be considered for First Year entry if my application for Second Year was unsuccessful. Anyone who can answer this?

Thanks

I'd like to know this too
Hi. I did direct entry Theoretical Physics at The University of Edinburgh. I can tell you it's something which is pretty uncommon. We were about 18 direct entries across all physics & astronomy degree programmes. Most of the time the direct entries don't fail as they are supposedly more driven. However, on average they do tend to get lower grades than normal first-year entries. Still, if you are prepared to work hard I recommend doing it as you gain a year and save lots of money.
Original post by fulmine99
Hi. I did direct entry Theoretical Physics at The University of Edinburgh. I can tell you it's something which is pretty uncommon. We were about 18 direct entries across all physics & astronomy degree programmes. Most of the time the direct entries don't fail as they are supposedly more driven. However, on average they do tend to get lower grades than normal first-year entries. Still, if you are prepared to work hard I recommend doing it as you gain a year and save lots of money.

Hey I understand that it's been a while since you've seen this thread but I will give this a shot anyway. I've applied for second year direct entry Theoretical Physics as well, and I was worried I might miss out socially as I'll be behind everyone else. What do you think and what was your experience like?
Original post by dashamritraj10
Hey I understand that it's been a while since you've seen this thread but I will give this a shot anyway. I've applied for second year direct entry Theoretical Physics as well, and I was worried I might miss out socially as I'll be behind everyone else. What do you think and what was your experience like?

Did you ever enter into second year directly? I am also thinking about going straight into second year for Theoretical physics but 5 years doing a degree doesn’t sound something that I would like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending