The Student Room Group

Just qualified ACA at Grant Thornton - ask me anything 😊

Just qualified ACA sitting 3 exams (3x3) per sitting over the last 18 months whilst working at Grant Thornton.

Happy to provide advice to anyone thinking of studying ACA or currently studying, or just general questions regarding my experience.

I didn’t go to uni, I completed L2-4 AAT before starting ACA.

Edit: All first time passes.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DavidACA96
Just qualified ACA sitting 3 exams (3x3) per sitting over the last 18 months whilst working at Grant Thornton.

Happy to provide advice to anyone thinking of studying ACA or currently studying, or just general questions regarding my experience.

How on earth did you manage the stress and time!?
I've sat one at a time, and still find it hard to keep up with all the boring stuff that just needs to be done i.e. making sure there is clean clothes, food on the table and making sure the house that isn't a bombsite
Reply 2
Original post by joesouth
How on earth did you manage the stress and time!?
I've sat one at a time, and still find it hard to keep up with all the boring stuff that just needs to be done i.e. making sure there is clean clothes, food on the table and making sure the house that isn't a bombsite

Haha! Did this with a child too! He’s just turned 4. But to be fair I never study before he sleeps so that’s not been too much of an issue, just tiring!

So for time I have always prepared to study of an evening. I would get home about 6pm, have tea and study about 7 til 9:30ish. I would do this for about 2 months leading up to the sitting throwing in weekends about 3/4 weeks before exams!

Regards to the stress, just pure motivation to get them done and gone as quick as possible really!
Reply 3
Hi thanks for this post.

I have just passed all my ACA exams (all first time passes) and have 6 months left in my training contract. However I have got the lowest rating and is currently on a PIP because I was working with two managers who gave me very unfair feedback and the job in total lasted less than a month. I am a bit worried that they won't sign off my time and not get the ACA. Do you know any one who was in a similar position and do you have any advice in terms of what I can do. Thanks a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by sfs1012
Hi thanks for this post.

I have just passed all my ACA exams (all first time passes) and have 6 months left in my training contract. However I have got the lowest rating and is currently on a PIP because I was working with two managers who gave me very unfair feedback and the job in total lasted less than a month. I am a bit worried that they won't sign off my time and not get the ACA. Do you know any one who was in a similar position and do you have any advice in terms of what I can do. Thanks a lot.

Hi, no problem! Congrats on the exam results!

I do know two people who have been out on these plans in order to help improve performance in work and on both occasions I believe they have worked really well.. I suppose it only really goes one of two ways. All I could say is try to use this to your advantage, the extra support etc, it is possible to turn this around.

With regards to signing off your file, I don’t think they would be able to refuse to sign off your time as you either have or have not completed 450 days of chargeable time... the only thing they could potentially do is not confirm you are ‘fit and proper’ for membership, although hopefully that won’t happen given the PIP.

I’m sure it will all work out fine, but of course you can always contact the ICAEW for advice, I have once or twice and got a response almost immediately.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Out of interest what is a PIP?
I've got my final case in November, and my training contract finishes at the end of that month, but i've got a heck of a lot left to fill in my training file in the professional development ladders. I think finishing the ladders is almost going to be harder than the case exam.
Reply 6
Thanks for that man that is very useful advice and reassuring. I was a bit concern because I recently found out that someone failed the pip and I think my firm is going to get rid of that person. I will obviously try and pass the PIP but as long as they are willing to sign off the time then it is not the end of the world as I don’t intend to stay anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by joesouth
Out of interest what is a PIP?
I've got my final case in November, and my training contract finishes at the end of that month, but i've got a heck of a lot left to fill in my training file in the professional development ladders. I think finishing the ladders is almost going to be harder than the case exam.

A performance improvement plan. I got forced on to it due to bad feedback after having arguments with a particular manager.

Oh I started my ACA before jan 2019 so I got lucky and don’t have to do the PD stuffs. Good luck for your case exam!
Reply 8
Many congratulation! Out of interest how many years did you spend studying AAT and would you have preferred to have gone straight into ACA - an option some firms are now offering?
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Many congratulation! Out of interest how many years did you spend studying AAT and would you have preferred to have gone straight into ACA - an option some firms are now offering?

Thank you! I had to do AAT for 3 years as the smaller firm I was at made me do Level 2, and each level had to take a minimum of 1 year.

AAT is a really good foundation for ACA so I am glad I did it however if you are able to start ACA straight away from the certificate stage I would probably do that. I know a few people who have graduated from uni with as many as 12 exemptions meaning they only have to do the final 3 exams however they almost always ends up taking years to pass just those three as there is so much assumed knowledge in the final exams.
Reply 10

Buddy do you know if Prof level exams are mdoerated up or not? My Sep results are due and iam scared I might fail TC, didnt answer 12 marks

Congratulations! All first time passes too is fantastic!
I'm currently studying for BPT.. Do you have any advice and tips on how best to prepare for this exam? Thanks!
Reply 12

Buddy do you think they upscale marks? Sat TC for Sept and left out 12 marks and I might fail tbh.
Reply 13
Original post by Ryanrr
Buddy do you know if Prof level exams are mdoerated up or not? My Sep results are due and iam scared I might fail TC, didnt answer 12 marks

Hi!

I don’t know for 100%, not sure if anyone does, however I think they are.. the way I always looked at the exams was to try to be better than the bottom 15-20% and you’re okay! There were times I felt I had left out a significant question or part of a question and it always turned out okay, good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by IcaewStudent7
Congratulations! All first time passes too is fantastic!
I'm currently studying for BPT.. Do you have any advice and tips on how best to prepare for this exam? Thanks!

Thank you!

For BPT it’s all about making sure you have a good file and you know where everything is. I’d recommend buying the ACA Simplified exam room notes if you don’t have them, as well as putting a alphabetical ‘context page’ on your tuition providers notes just to make topics a bit easier to find. Once you’ve done that make sure you add to your file, annotate the notes and draw up pro-formas for tricky calculations but aside from the the usual question practice should see you through! Good luck
Hi!
Congrats on passing, I am currently studying for ACCA and have applied for GT. I know that GT offers ACA, will I have to convert my ACCA to ACA?
Original post by sfs1012
A performance improvement plan. I got forced on to it due to bad feedback after having arguments with a particular manager.

Oh I started my ACA before jan 2019 so I got lucky and don’t have to do the PD stuffs. Good luck for your case exam!

PIP doesn't sound nice.

I started quite a while ago but i've had breaks in between due to various reasons and didn't like the stress of sitting more than one at a time so been taking my time with it.
Reply 17
Original post by foreverconfused13
Hi!
Congrats on passing, I am currently studying for ACCA and have applied for GT. I know that GT offers ACA, will I have to convert my ACCA to ACA?

Hi.. no not at all! There are a few people who have studied ACCA Including partners and manager and some that still do at GT, it’s just not offered to new joiners no more. If you are joining as an experienced hire already part way through that’s fine you’ll carry on!
Hi.. no not at all! There are a few people who have studied ACCA Including partners and manager and some that still do at GT, it’s just not offered to new joiners no more. If you are joining as an experienced hire already part way through that’s fine you’ll carry on!

awesome! and a semi- related question, as I am bound by a training contract already (have to pay what they have spent on me if I decide to leave) has there been cases of GT paying for breach of training contract?
Thank you!

For BPT it’s all about making sure you have a good file and you know where everything is. I’d recommend buying the ACA Simplified exam room notes if you don’t have them, as well as putting a alphabetical ‘context page’ on your tuition providers notes just to make topics a bit easier to find. Once you’ve done that make sure you add to your file, annotate the notes and draw up pro-formas for tricky calculations but aside from the the usual question practice should see you through! Good luck

Cheers for that! Very helpful advice hopefully I'll be ok haha stressing over this! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending