The Student Room Group

Failing first year pharmacy resits

For the past year, I've been dealing with severe depression and a anxiety. This makes it really hard to do well in uni. Even simple tasks have been a struggle, let alone keeping up with my lectures but ive been trying harder during the second semester to make sure I do the best i can.

In the first semester my mental health was worst its ever been and I couldn't pass some my exams (i passed all my coursework with 1st class) . The same thing happened in the second part of the year, and I failed 1 out of the 2 exams i had. I've been trying to get better by talking to my GP and referred myself for counselling and was receiving it throughout my semester 2 exam period. I've also been prescribed antidepressants since may ish. It's been helpful, but it took a while to work. Recently, I resat the exams i failed and I did well on most of them and passed. But there's one test I failed passing by just 5.4%, which is frustrating.

The reason why im posting on here is because my course is a course that requires every single assessment to have a pass mark and by failing one in the resits means i failed the module (even tho my overall module mark was over 40%). Has anyone been through something like this. How did you handle it? Do you have any advice that might help me?
WOAH. you r literally going through the EXACT thing i went through. I was going through depression, anxiety and ocd during first year of uni and even during the end of sixth form. I started first year last year in sep 2022. I couldn't do simple tasks just like you and i was sooooo behind with my lectures too. I passed all assessments apart from 1 so i had to retake that during the summer holidays in 2023. I failed the retake by literally 6 marks. During the second part of the year, around march, I went to a GP and was given anti depressants. I didnt take it for that long as my mental health prevented me from taking it even tho i wanted to get better. I did pharmacy, so it's already dificult regardless of mental health. Because I failed, I took a gap year, which is my current situation. I couldnt transfer to another uni as i got my retake result in sep, and all unis had applications closed. I decided i wanted to apply to unis in my city so that i wouldnt be away from home like i was in first year of uni. I am applying for 2024 entry, and it has been a little bit of a struggle since 2 of the unis i applied to said they can't accept me due to failing the year, even tho i told them it was due to mental health and that i'm better now. I have a stay-at-home job and that keeps me occupied a lotttt. But my mental health now is so much better compared to last year, by far. I feel better now than when i was at uni. It just wasn't right. Now, I'm motivated to go uni, including the fact that my mental health is better.
Original post by Anonymous #1
For the past year, I've been dealing with severe depression and a anxiety. This makes it really hard to do well in uni. Even simple tasks have been a struggle, let alone keeping up with my lectures but ive been trying harder during the second semester to make sure I do the best i can.

In the first semester my mental health was worst its ever been and I couldn't pass some my exams (i passed all my coursework with 1st class) . The same thing happened in the second part of the year, and I failed 1 out of the 2 exams i had. I've been trying to get better by talking to my GP and referred myself for counselling and was receiving it throughout my semester 2 exam period. I've also been prescribed antidepressants since may ish. It's been helpful, but it took a while to work. Recently, I resat the exams i failed and I did well on most of them and passed. But there's one test I failed passing by just 5.4%, which is frustrating.

The reason why im posting on here is because my course is a course that requires every single assessment to have a pass mark and by failing one in the resits means i failed the module (even tho my overall module mark was over 40%). Has anyone been through something like this. How did you handle it? Do you have any advice that might help me?

My advice is don't be hard on yourself. It's crazy how much our thought processes (including thoughts of ourself) can affect our mindset. I started having a positive mindset. I started becoming more religious, too. My mentality changed too. I look at things differently than looking at something in a bad way. It was difficult since my ocd caused me to have a negative mindset. It also helped knowing that i wasn't the only one going through mental health problems. It took a very long time for me to get better. I'm not happy all the time currently, but i dont think anyone is. However, I've learned to have more comfort time and be more positive around others as it helped me knowing i was helping others and trying to be more kind. I realised that the more kind I am, the better I feel. That's not to say i was never kind before. I have always been very kind. However, i increased this kindness (please, thankyou, being less frustrated). Ik it sounds weird, but that really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending