The Student Room Group

Future of terrorism and extremist groups

How do you see the future of terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda and terrorism in general? Osama's death in 2011 showed the power the US can combat terrorism and the people who make it happen. Will terrorism be reduced significantly by the power of intelligence organizations like the FBI, CIA or will we be likely to see more terrorism *shivers* in the future? I'm not talking just about 9/11 and the United States here, but essentially the world.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure we will see a shift from terrorist groups abroad such as AlQ and the Taliban and will see a large rise in domestic attacks by militant extremist muslims within our own country.
Original post by OJM
Recently I have been remembering that dreadful day of Sept 11 2001 and it's impact on the US, let alone the world, among other terrorist attacks.

I actually felt very sad and low after reading all I had read, I kind of wished I hadn't for a while. However it is real life, and it just made me stop and think.

How do you see the future of terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda and terrorism in general? Osama's death in 2011 showed the power the US can combat terrorism and the people who make it happen. Will terrorism be reduced significantly by the power of intelligence organizations like the FBI, CIA or will we be likely to see more terrorism *shivers* in the future?

there will always be terrorism unfortunaly just like there will always be murders, rapists, thieves etc. Islamic terrorism was there around the global before 9/11 and after 9/11, al queda was just one instance of that. So therefore there will always be focuss on it by the likes of cia, mi5, Interpol etc, and likley scrutiny and intelligence snooping is going to get worse
Reply 3
Original post by OJM
Recently I have been remembering that dreadful day of Sept 11 2001 and it's impact on the US, let alone the world, among other terrorist attacks.

I actually felt very sad and low after reading all I had read, I kind of wished I hadn't for a while. However it is real life, and it just made me stop and think.

How do you see the future of terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda and terrorism in general? Osama's death in 2011 showed the power the US can combat terrorism and the people who make it happen. Will terrorism be reduced significantly by the power of intelligence organizations like the FBI, CIA or will we be likely to see more terrorism *shivers* in the future?

I'm not a muslim or anything but it's interesting how you care so much more about 4000 or so people killed in 9/11 but don't give a damn about the millions killed by the Americans when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. It's like you think their blood is worth less. Also interesting how you don't care about the million children killed in the sanctions against Iraq. America is the biggest terrorist, so to your question, I think the American terrorist country is thankfully having a large downfall and will soon be replaced by countries such as India, China, Russia and Brazil, hopefully they won't be like the American terrorists.
Reply 4
Original post by Rybee
I'm pretty sure we will see a shift from terrorist groups abroad such as AlQ and the Taliban and will see a large rise in domestic attacks by militant extremist muslims within our own country.

Care to elaborate? :curious:
Reply 5
Original post by Rybee

We won't if we don't go around bombing their countries. If we go and bomb them, let's not expect flowers and chocolates from their brothers and sisters living here.
Reply 6
Original post by SaFa1237
Care to elaborate? :curious:

Well it's kinda self explanatory... what part needs elaboration?

Original post by Twofifth
We won't if we don't go around bombing their countries. If we go and bomb them, let's not expect flowers and chocolates from their brothers and sisters living here.

Their countries? I'm talking British Muslims.
Reply 7
Original post by Rybee

Well why do you believe that?
Reply 8
Original post by Rybee

Their countries? I'm talking British Muslims.

So what? Their families come from those countries. What do you expect them to be like? "Oh here you go, here's a box of chocolates, you killed my cousins but I love you so much, I wouldn't want to hurt you", let's be realistic here for once, British people would react the same if Britain was being bombed. I'm not justifying it, i'm just being real and telling you what happens when you don't listen to anyone. Even if you're not affecting them directly, you're still killing their people.
Reply 9
Well why do you believe that?

Because the threat from the middle east has effectively been ceased and the domestic attacks, or attempted attacks, of terrorism, are on the rise. There's quite a clear trend.

So what? Their families come from those countries. What do you expect them to be like? "Oh here you go, here's a box of chocolates, you killed my cousins but I love you so much, I wouldn't want to hurt you", let's be realistic here for once, British people would react the same if Britain was being bombed. I'm not justifying it, i'm just being real and telling you what happens when you don't listen to anyone. Even if you're not affecting them directly, you're still killing their people.

For the second time. I'm talking about British Muslims.
Reply 10
Original post by Rybee
Because the threat from the middle east has effectively been ceased and the domestic attacks, or attempted attacks, of terrorism, are on the rise. There's quite a clear trend.

For the second time. I'm talking about British Muslims.

That doesn't necessarily mean there will be an increase in domestic attacks.
Reply 11
But does anyone think that Al Qaeda will be stopped, ever? I know that there are more groups out there, but the organization has showed some weakness since the death of it's leader.
Im pretty sure the U.S will continue to use the word "terrorism" to attack other countries and take away the liberties of its citizens at home and abroad.
Reply 13
That doesn't necessarily mean there will be an increase in domestic attacks.

Yes it does, the statistics already show a clear trend of foreign terrorist attacks before 7/7 and domestic attacks after 7/7.

Terrorist Incidents in the UK since securing the Middle East
2005 7 July: The 7 July 2005 London bombings conducted by four separate Islamist extremist suicide bombers, killing 56 people and injuring 700.

2007 30 June: 2007 Glasgow International Airport attack perpetrated by Islamist extremists.

2008 22 May: 22 May 2008 Exeter bombing by an Islamist extremist, injuring only the perpetrator.

2012 June: Five Islamist Extremists plotted to bomb an English Defence League rally in Dewsbury but arrived late and were arrested when returning to Birmingham.

2013 22 May: 2013 Woolwich attack, British Serviceman killed by two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun and a number of blades.

Arrests, Detentions, and other Incidents Related to the Terrorism Act Since Securing the Middle East
2008 14 May: The Nottingham Two were arrested and detained for six days under the Terrorism Act 2000. A postgraduate student had downloaded a 1,500-page English translation of an Al-Qaeda document from the United States Department of Justice website for his PhD research on militant Islam. He sent it to a friend in the Modern Language department for printing. Both were cleared of terrorism-related offences, but the friend was immediately re-arrested on immigration grounds.

19 September 2011 West Midlands Police arrested a woman who lived in the Alum Rock area of Birmingham. Salma Kabal, 22, appeared in court on 16 November 2011 accused of failing to inform police that her husband, Ashik Ali, a Muslim extremist planned to kill himself. The official charge was that she “knew or believed might be of material assistance in securing the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of another person for an offence involving the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism".

15 November 2011 West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit arrested four Muslim extremists at their homes who were from Sparkhill Birmingham, on suspicion of conducting terrorist offences. The four men appeared in court in Westminster London on 19 November 2011 charged with terrorism offences. They were named as Khobaib Hussain, Ishaaq Hussain and Shahid Kasam Khan, all 19, and Naweed Mahmood Ali, 24. They were charged with fundraising for terrorist purposes and for travelling to Pakistan for terrorist training.

2012 28 June: The two Muslim extremists, aged 18 and 32, were arrested at separate residential addresses in east London, by officers from the Metropolitan Police Counter-Terrorism Command, at 7am on Thursday. It was believed the men were involved in a bomb plot concerning the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "At approximately 07:00 hrs today, Thursday June 28, officers from the counter-terrorism command arrested two men under the Terrorism Act 2000 on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism. The men were arrested at separate residential addresses in east London. Both addresses are currently being searched under the Terrorism Act 2000".

There's a clear trend of domestic Muslim extremist terrorist attacks after the 7/7 bombings, as opposed to foreign attacks before. Since the middle east has been secured, every terrorist attack has been the result of a domestic Muslim extremist terrorist attack.

Since we've secured the middle east, the foreign threat has been completely nullified. So, that is why I'm suggesting that the biggest terrorism threat to Britain in the next decade will be domestic Muslim extremist terrorist attacks.

Unfortunately there's clear evidence that British Muslims will provide the biggest threat of terrorism to Britain in the next decade. The already strained relationship that British Muslims have with other British citizens will be pushed to its limits. There's much, much worse to come.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm not a muslim or anything but it's interesting how you care so much more about 4000 or so people killed in 9/11 but don't give a damn about the millions killed by the Americans when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. It's like you think their blood is worth less. Also interesting how you don't care about the million children killed in the sanctions against Iraq. America is the biggest terrorist, so to your question, I think the American terrorist country is thankfully having a large downfall and will soon be replaced by countries such as India, China, Russia and Brazil, hopefully they won't be like the American terrorists.

This is predicated on the bizarre idea that Iraq and Afghanistan were peaceful, homogeneous societies prior to American involvement.

Prior to the first Gulf War, Iraq had just come out of a ten-year bloody war with Iran, and was a police state. Afghanistan has been a basket case for god knows how long, and killing civilians seems to be a national pastime.

A lot of people might have died in these countries - some of it can be laid at the door of the US. I would suggest that the overwhelming majority is due to the fact that these countries are populated by messed up people who want to kill anyone who doesn't agree with them.
Reply 15
Original post by Clip
This is predicated on the bizarre idea that Iraq and Afghanistan were peaceful, homogeneous societies prior to American involvement.

Prior to the first Gulf War, Iraq had just come out of a ten-year bloody war with Iran, and was a police state. Afghanistan has been a basket case for god knows how long, and killing civilians seems to be a national pastime.

A lot of people might have died in these countries - some of it can be laid at the door of the US. I would suggest that the overwhelming majority is due to the fact that these countries are populated by messed up people who want to kill anyone who doesn't agree with them.

What rubbish, so for some reason the countries which America has bombed and been involved with have these crazy messed up people while the other countries don't. Wow must be a crazy coincidence. The reason these countries have such people is because America won't allow them to develop, the populations are illiterate and therefore it's a lot easier for people to fall into the hands of the terrorists, if you dry the water up the fish can't swim. Why aren't there any terrorists coming from the UAE? They have the same religion? Because the population there is educated so no one will fall for Al Quaeda. You go and kill a person in Pakistan from one of your drone strikes then obviously the relatives will want revenge. The problem with people like you is that you've lived in places like Britain all your lives and you know nothing about other people's cultures and how they think. Same thing with politicians, they've lived in places like Chelsea all their lives in their little bubbles and they don't understand how to deal with these people. I've travelled to third world countries and muslim countries.
Original post by Clip

You're saying there was no American involvement in Iraq before the first Gulf War? There's been interference by either Britain or the US in Iraq for pretty much as long as Iraq has existed.

Afghanistan's only really been a basket case since the 1970s, though there's obviously been Soviet interference as well as American since then.

I expect them to leave in protest, not kill innocent civilians.
Once (or if) the UK leaves Afghanistan then it will eventually die down in the UK, though I doubt it will completely go away, same with IRA terrorism
Reply 19
Sorry, but you'll never stop people resisting against foreign invaders, occupiers and oppressors. These people according to you are considered "terrorists" or "extremists", thus these "terrorists" will never cease or give up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending